Cricket World Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's reassuring.

The major pro leagues here are planning to promote in-game prop bets based on proprietary data. My understanding is that the final scores of games cannot be copyrighted because it's considered news, but they can control in-game stats, so that's how they're going to make money off of legal sports betting. But that would encourage the kind of spot-fixing you mention. Maybe they'll restrict the betting such that nobody can make enough off of any one of those bets to make it worthwhile to try to fix it without drawing a lot of attention to it. If Vegas sees a lot of action on whether or not Josh Bell is going to strike out in the fifth inning of a July 27 game against the Padres, they can take it off the board.

BTW, my first introduction to the game was the conversation about the Hansie Cronjeon the original OTF board. It was a whole new world.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      T20 has made players a lot wealthier than they were in 2000 and it tends to be less secure players on the margins who would be tempted. The World Cup is under too much scrutiny for players to just chuck games and I don't see how the risk to future career earnings would make sense.

Dhoni is very wealthy so anyone accusing him of chasing a bookie handout is discredited immediately.
      That's ultimately why nobody is too worried about it in the big US pro sports, but it can be a problem in college sports. And even wealthy people can become gambling addicts or get in too deep with bookies.

Comment

I think very few people throw games. If you were a corrupt cricketer, there are so much less obvious ways to throw a bone to bookies or gamblers using spot bets.

Comment

The North American leagues are very aware of the issues with spot-fixing and one of the reasons why they haven't started already is that they are taking their time in devising strategies to make it less attractive.

My understanding is that one idea getting serious consideration is limiting limiting the range of bets available and announcing them as late as the beginning of the relevant inning so that bookies don't have time to get to players.

I still tend to expect that there will be at least one high-profile case here. We've already had a high profile NBA ref engage in form of spot fixing over multiple seasons.

Comment

It probably doesn't help that (I think) all the gambling on Cricket in India is illegal. Gambling laws are certainly highly restrictive, which means there is no regulation of the cricket market.

Comment

Yes, that has sometimes been used as a lesson to be learned from by the pro-legalisation forces here.

Comment

According to Cricinfo, we will get enough overs before the rain for this definitely to have a result. The key for India is to stay ahead of Duckworth Lewis, which I'm sure they've got constantly on screen and/or paper in the dressing room.

Comment

The Duckworth Lewis figure is constantly displayed on the scoreboard, so the players in the middle will know the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    According to Cricinfo, we will get enough overs before the rain for this definitely to have a result. The key for India is to stay ahead of Duckworth Lewis, which I'm sure they've got constantly on screen and/or paper in the dressing room.
                    Is there a strong likelihood of rain forecast today?

The Kiwis struggling, three gone already this morning. I wonder how significant the break in play is in that. Though I suppose a lot of teams have holed out late trying to go big to improve a lowish score.

Comment

Surely play should have started an hour or so later to minimise the dew effect (unfair on NZ starting early twice) or is dew not a thing any more?

Comment

India should win this comfortably enough, unless Boult and Ferguson can put on a Wasim/Waqar tribute act.

Comment

India would have chased 237 from 46 under yesterday's D/L conditions if play had resumed so 240 from 50 swings it to their favour relative to that. But, as was noted yesterday, D/L assumes average quality of batters and bowlers.

Comment

Should be a doddle, yes.

Comment

Bugger me sideways!

Comment

Bloody hell.

Comment

Kohli's dismissal is a pretty effective rebuttal to fix theorists. That lbw could have been turned down (on the field) with only minor controversy. And back in the day of home umpires, routinely was.

Comment

Comment

It there anywhere that shows the DLS par score? I can't see it on criciinfo or cricbuzz.

Comment

Bizarre from Dinesh Khartik. 21 balls to get off the mark, 6 runs in 4 balls then puts one in the air for Neesham to take a great catch. 25/4 now.
                                        Last edited by nmrfox; 10-07-2019, 10:57.

Comment

He hardly "hoicked one in the air", the ball barely went a foot above the ground.

The commentary team still talking as if Dhoni is the man to save this innings, he might do but that would be despite the evidence of his scores so far this tournament.

Comment

Pandya has never made an ODI century, though I suppose he's usually in late enough that there aren't that many balls to score one off.

Comment

'It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.'

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                                It there anywhere that shows the DLS par score? I can't see it on criciinfo or cricbuzz.
                                                I think India would need to be up around 110 after 20 overs, having lost 4 wickets. They're way behind that. NZ can start praying for rain.

Comment

Spot on Rogin, as TMS just quoted 110 now that 20 overs has been completed (and hence we will definitely get a result).

The worm is a bit closer, but obviously depends strongly on Pant and Pandya hanging around.

Comment

Pant's off.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X