Cricket World Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Levin, Martin Williamson concurs

The 1992 World Cup probably contained more innovations than any other. It was the first at which the teams used coloured clothing, the first to use white balls (two at each end so they didn't get grubby), and the first to use floodlights. It also saw the introduction of a new rain rule. By the end of the tournament, the latter was utterly discredited.

Comment

Bangladesh well ahead of the run rate with three down after 19, but somehow I don't see them getting anywhere near 300.

Comment

A lot resting on Shakib.

Comment

I'll be showing the video of Cottrell's run out of Tamim to my son tonight, stunning.

Comment

As good as Roger Harper?

Comment

Judge for yourself.

Comment

Halfway and Bangladesh are up on the run rate - 166-3

Comment

What was the rain rule then?

IIRC, the colored uniforms were first introduced with that rogue Australian World Series of Cricket in the 70s. Around that same time, baseball, led by Charlie Findlay, introduced colored uniforms to take advantage of color television, which started out-selling black-and-white TV in the early 70s. So I assume that WSC was thinking the same thing.

It appears that the trousers are always (or almost always) the same color. They look a bit like pajamas. I'd think somebody might try contrasting colors or white trousers with a colored top. Has anyone ever tried shorts?

Does every batter have to wear a helmet? I've seen some images of batters not wearing a helmet. That seems like madness.

Comment

Some batsmen don't wear a helmet to face spinners, it gives them a greater field of vision against what is a less dangerous bowler.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-06-2019, 16:10.

Comment

The idea behind the rule was to avoid the old system - work out the runs-per-over of the first innings and then deduct that for each over lost by the side batting second - which heavily disadvantaged the side batting first. The solution, drawn up by experts including Richie Benaud, was that when rain interrupted the second innings of a match the reduction in the target was to be proportionate to the lowest scoring overs of the side batting first, a method that took into account the benefits of chasing, as opposed to setting, a target.

There were signs early on that all was not well. England bowled out Pakistan for 74 at Adelaide. The loss of three hours created a much stiffer target than the Pakistan batsmen had set. For the match to stand, a minimum of 15 overs had to be available to England; but as Pakistan's most successful 15 overs had yielded 62 of their 74 runs, under the rain rule the minimum target had to be 63. After a further shower it was set at 64 from 16, and England still needed 40 from eight when play was abandoned and the points shared.
                      Full piece with more context

Comment

Both stunning, but I think Harper's was better, Gooch's shot was harder and lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          Some batsmen don't wear a helmet to face spinners, it gives them a greater field of vision against what is a less dangerous bowler.
                          I would have thought spinners were more dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            Does every batter have to wear a helmet? I've seen some images of batters not wearing a helmet. That seems like madness.
                            Helmets are a fairly recent innovation - late-70s or thereabouts. Before that point there were some nasty incidents: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewen_Chatfield

Comment

Bangladesh 238-3. They need 84 off 17 overs.

Comment

Great work by Shakib (100 not out from 83 balls) but West Indies have been shocking.

Comment

Brilliant knock from Shakib.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I would have thought spinners were more dangerous.
                                    Using spin a ball is generally bowled around half the speed of fast bowling. Also the ball will usually be aimed to bounce just in front of the batsmen, so it won't have time to get much higher than waist height. This contrasts with a bouncer - a fast ball aimed to bounce far enough away from the batsmen that it has time to reach head height.

Comment

So disappointed in West Indies again today but very glad Bangladesh's tournament is still alive as a) they're great and b) I'm seeing two more of their games.

Comment

As someone who came to Cricket late after years of playing baseball, I can confirm that the damage spinners do is to one's ego, rather than one's body.

Comment

I presume it's first v fourth and second v third in the semi-finals?

Comment

Yes

1-4 at Old Trafford and 2-3 at Edgbaston

Comment

Enjoyed that game, well done the Desh, still feels a big ask to see them qualifying though given that their remaining fixtures include Australia and India. Probably have to win one and hope the other gets rained off, along with beating Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Helmets are a fairly recent innovation - late-70s or thereabouts. Before that point there were some nasty incidents: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewen_Chatfield
                                                A batsman was killed fairly recently, as I recall.

Helmets in baseball and even hockey are pretty new, but now it seems remarkable that anyone dared play without them. But of course, the technology behind them has advanced rapidly in the last 40 years.

They've also gotten cheaper. We never wore a helmet to ride our bikes, skateboard, or ski when I was a kid, but now I think you might here from child services if you let your kid try any of those things without a helmet. We had batting helmets in Little League, but they didn't have facemasks like they do now.

As someone who came to Cricket late after years of playing baseball, I can confirm that the damage spinners do is to one's ego, rather than one's body.
                                                So which kind of ball is most likely to bounce up and hit a batter in the face if it's not a spinner?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  Levin, Martin Williamson concurs
                                                  It does seem a little unfair but I guess the white ball does have a reputation for softening faster (as well as the grubbiness issue).

Comment

Assuming England beat Afghanistan, the next two games coming up are huge for the tournament. If NZ and Aus beat South Africa and Bangladesh then the final four are all but sewn up. If they both lose, then it opens right up.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X