Cricket World Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Glad to see that for the match shirts and much of the merch "Windies" has been eschewed for the full West Indies.
    There might actually have been riots if they had changed it on the kits.

Comment

Chris Gayle really is something else, isn't he.

Amir has a wicket to his name, but I don't think West Indies will be panicking just yet.

Comment

I smell a betting syndicate.

Still a major blight on international cricket.

Comment

FFS. Must we do this every time Pakistan lose heavily? This isn't such a surprise – Pakistan's recent form has been poor, West Indies' has been much improved. Sometimes teams win cricket matches by simply being good.

Comment

To be fair, he says it when India lose as well

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
              FFS. Must we do this every time Pakistan lose heavily? This isn't such a surprise – Pakistan's recent form has been poor, West Indies' has been much improved. Sometimes teams win cricket matches by simply being good.

Well, it is a bit of a surprise. Someone upthread thought that Pakistan were going to make 350-400.

Comment

Someone else also posted their ODI results this year, which now reads:

WLLWLLLLLLLLLLL

West Indies have played fewer but their 2019 form reads:

LWLWWLWLLW

There is no way anyone would think this was an upset.

Comment

Well, it is a bit of a surprise. Someone upthread thought that Pakistan were going to make 350-400.
                  Heh. This is why I don't make the big bucks. Was half an attempt to reverse-Jonah the West Indies' bowlers into action. My work here is done.

Comment

And to do a plug, you can hear more razor-sharp opinions like that on the Guardian's podcast later

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

I'd be happy for this side to win it, and it would clearly be based on merit as they were World No. 1 going in. The bounce Archer gets is stunning.
                      Given England were already ranked number one and hot favourites but still felt the need to change their eligibility rules to nick Archer early specifically for their home World Cup, it will stick in the throat somewhat if (as seems likely) he plays a major role in them winning it.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-05-2019, 14:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Given England were already ranked number one and hot favourites but still felt the need to change their eligibility rules to nick Archer early specifically for their home World Cup, it will stick in the throat somewhat if (as seems likely) he plays a major role in them winning it.
                        I think we're safe to assume that it will stick in your throat no matter who wins it for England (if they do).

Comment

Point proven. On the basis most casual gamblers on cricket don't rely on current form...

Comment

That's an ...er... interesting use of the word "proven".

Comment

Wow, ursus's tip really works.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

I think we're safe to assume that it will stick in your throat no matter who wins it for England (if they do).
                                Oh yes, obviously. It's always nice to have moral objections as well as partisan ones though.

It could get even worse for me, I now have a pair of tickets to the final and would probably have to take my England supporting son or wife should they get there.

Comment

Wait! Has Gonzo just conclusively revealed a match-fixing scam. Stop the tournament! We have the scoop of the century on our hands.

Comment

What was ursus's tip?

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                      Wait! Has Gonzo just conclusively revealed a match-fixing scam. Stop the tournament! We have the scoop of the century on our hands.
                                      Erm, get sick of saying this but I'm Not Gonzo!!!

Comment

Blimey, Snake made it into a sticky.

Comment

Ah yes, I'm well aware of that (and perhaps a recipient, who knows).

Comment

England doesn’t actually win many things so maybe it would be nice if they could have this one. I’m not a big fan of those North Carolina-color kits, however. They look like hospital pajamas.

The guys in those colonial military uniforms, though...

Comment

Trent Bridge shambles non-shock

ICC offering "full refunds" to tranche of fans who didn't receive tickets:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/cricket/...-ticket-delays

Comment

I still think England would be favourites without Archer but he does make them stronger favourites. It comes down to the semi and final ultimately and how comfortably England win them (if they do).

West Indies were some people's tips pre-tournament; nobody was tipping Pakistan.

OTOH WI had been so poor until this year that they were still 17 points below Pakistan in the rankings. But who makes bets based on rankings rather than form?
                                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-05-2019, 19:06.

Comment

Plenty of casual gamblers would in my experience, particularly in Asia.

Plus even form is relative. Weren't the Windies recent wins against a largely mediocre Bangladesh and Ireland?

P'stan played someone better?

Comment

Casual gamblers of course being the prime suspects in match fixing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X