Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats to the Kiwis

Comment

Gah, I'm going to be left stranded on nine of the ten countries in the tournament. Why isn't there a third place game?!
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-07-2019, 14:03.

Comment

What A FUCKING GAME.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          I wonder what would have happened had Dhoni gone for it earlier. His strike rate was far too low.
          Got out earlier? He lasted three balls when he went into all-out-attack mode.

Who'd have thought 239 was defendable in the modern age?

Comment

Congratulations, Ray

You've finally found a purpose for them.

Comment

Gah, I'm going to be left stranded on nine countries in the tournament. Why isn't there a third place game?!
              Ah well, you should be able to flog your ticket to either sort of Antipodean...

Comment

Wonder if the ICC will abolish semi-finals now.

That said, I found myself rooting for India towards the end, it was a sensational recovery from Jadeja and Dhoni.

Comment

In the space of a few hours I've gone from "why do I waste my time with this crap?" to "OK, that's why".

5-3, and the Great Three at that, it was all over. But not. Fantastic stuff.

Four great performances by NZ bowlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                    Ah well, you should be able to flog your ticket to either sort of Antipodean...
                    Why would I do that? I'm really looking forward to it.

I see your reverse badmind and raise it, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                      What A FUCKING GAME.
                      Innit, absolutely gripping and ridiculously tense.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                        In the space of a few hours I've gone from "why do I waste my time with this crap?" to "OK, that's why".

5-3, and the Great Three at that..
                        Just in case you or anyone else didn't hear the stat on TMS - the first time in any format of international cricket ever that all three opening batters have all been out for one.
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-07-2019, 14:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                          Got out earlier? He lasted three balls when he went into all-out-attack mode.
                          From a run out though, not exactly hitting out more.

Comment

That Guptill runout was just ecstasy.

Comment

From a run out though, not exactly hitting out more.
                              Part of the same mindset change to extra aggression. Throw the bat with more risk, gamble on the throw missing the stumps.

Comment

I've not had access to the highlights but it was suggested on Cricinfo that the conditions were not as unplayable as 5-3 suggests, so maybe India just got psyched out here, a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Two semi losses in a row for them while chasing.

I suspect a lot of us will be cheering for NZ on Sunday against whichever teams wins tomorrow.

The BCCI response will be interesting. I think they may try to load the future semis in a way that favours the top side in the group phase. There will be much moaning about how a team that scrapes 4th can start with no handicap against one that cruised the group.

All of which is bollocks obviously because the semis are a test of of how you play under pressure, far more than in group play.

Dhoni today reinforces the discussion above about talisman players being given one tournament too many.

Can NZ really win a World Cup with only two in-form batsmen (?) in this era which seemed to be loaded in favour of batting? Would have seemed mental six weeks ago. More like 1983 in that regard, but with a better attack.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 10-07-2019, 14:29.

Comment

Shame for Jadeja though, he is box office gold, and a wonderful cricketer.

Comment

How can they "load" a game one way or the other? The only option short of something silly like giving them a run or over bonus would be to do away with the toss and give the choice to the top seed's captain?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      I've not had access to the highlights but it was suggested on Cricinfo that the conditions were not as unplayable as 5-3 suggests, so maybe India just got psyched out here, a self-fulfilling prophecy?
                                      I'm no expert but from the commentary at the time and Kohli's post-match comments (in a very gracious interview) it was the early swing which did for the batsmen early on.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                        That Guptill runout was just ecstasy.

The side shot of Dhoni's six, as he strolls nonchalantly down the pitch and watches the ball drop over the head of the flailing Kiwi fielder and over the boundary rope, is just wonderful.

It's at 15:33 on here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/48923852

Comment

It's an unreal shot, isn't it? The wrists of a helicopter shot, the arms of a hook, and moving his body to send it to the off side.

Comment

Special offer on India World Cup Winners t-shirts.

I'll do ye 5 for the price of 3

Comment

Dhoni's flat-batted off-cut for six just before he got out really was the most extraordinary shot, perhaps the best of the World Cup. Though Guptill's throw that ran him our wasn't too shabby either. Another game won by the seamers though, ultimately. It was a seamer's paradise on both mornings, and it turned out that India's didn't make as many inroads during those spells as New Zealand's did.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                How can they "load" a game one way or the other? The only option short of something silly like giving them a run or over bonus would be to do away with the toss and give the choice to the top seed's captain?
                                                You could have a format similar to the IPL:

Qualifying Playoff - 1st v 2nd - winner to final, loser to final eliminator
                                                Elimination Playoff - 3rd v 4th - winner to final eliminator, loser eliminated

Final Eliminator - loser qualifying playoff v winner elimination playoff - winner to final, loser eliminated

Final - winner qualifying playoff v winner final eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post

You could have a format similar to the IPL:

Qualifying Playoff - 1st v 2nd - winner to final, loser to final eliminator
                                                  Elimination Playoff - 3rd v 4th - winner to final eliminator, loser eliminated

Final Eliminator - loser qualifying playoff v winner elimination playoff - winner to final, loser eliminated

Final - winner qualifying playoff v winner final eliminator
                                                  Indian TV would agree with you, I'm sure.

Comment

Until India finished 3rd or 4th in the pool the first time it's tried, win their eliminator but the lose the minor final (to use the Aussie terminiology, this being a system they invented). Then the clarion call would be for straight knockouts.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X