No announcement yet.

Cricket World Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There has been the suggestion to do away with the coin toss and let the away team choose batting/bowling order, to offset the home advantage. That doesn't help in tournaments such as this one, of course.

Comment

You could give the choice to the lower ranked team.

Or how about using the toss to determine who bats first, but only for a 5 or 10 over cameo? Then, whoever leads gets to choose for the remaining overs

ps to Mon General- how many games did you get to in the end?

Comment

Or just don't doctor the pitches...

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
          You could give the choice to the lower ranked team.

Or how about using the toss to determine who bats first, but only for a 5 or 10 over cameo? Then, whoever leads gets to choose for the remaining overs

ps to Mon General- how many games did you get to in the end?
          Seven so far, with the final still to come (if India get there I'll have seen all ten teams in the tournament) ;

England v South Africa - The Oval

Bangladesh v New Zealand - The Oval

England v West Indies - The Rose Bowl

Sri Lanka v Australia - The Oval

Pakistan v South Africa - Lord's

Bangladesh v Afghanistan - The Rose Bowl

England v Australia - Lord's

Comment

Impressive

I'll admit to enjoying it despite initial claims otherwise. TMS on BBC Sports Extra plus 5 minute daily clips from Sky

Comment

To take DGs idea, split the innings alternately 30-30-20-20 or maybe 30-50-20 so the team that chooses to bat first also has to bat last.

Or take the old tiebreak method from the NatWest/ B&H cups and have a bowl (or throw) to hit the stumps.

Maybe the toss should not be called but say head=bat, tails=bowl and one captain flips while the other has to do what the coin says.

Comment

The county championship offers the away side the option to bowl first. If that's declined then you have a toss. The aim was to increase the amount of spin bowled although I can't quite see how.

I'd be dead set against splitting up innings. It's part of cricket that you have a narrative of one side going through the order.

Comment

Yeah, that would be Hundredesque.

Comment

To explain: notional winning margin for winners batting second is what they would have got scoring at the same rate if going first. The net run rate x 50 if you like
                    Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 08-07-2019, 11:01.

Comment

NZL lost to PAK

Comment

Yes, so the entry in that cell is Green not Black

Comment

Thanks, it's a neat diagram. You don't often see that much success for the Greens.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

To explain: notional winning margin for winners batting second is what they would have got scoring at the same rate if going first. The net run rate x 50 if you like
                            I don't understand what that shows.

Comment

It is a DG graphic

That's what they do

Comment

To go back to the Williamson runout, I concur that it is too often presented as unlucky, yet if you hit 10 straight drives, one will probably brush the bowlers hand in some way (including dropped catches). So while it's fortuitous for the fielding side, it is not a freak occurrence that couldn't possibly have be foreseen by the batting team.

Comment

In case this hasn’t been shared yet.

Comment

"Win when it's raining, we only win when it's raining ..."

Come on Manchester/Duckworth/Lewis, do your thing. The worst semi-finalists since Kenya (Kenya?) are counting on you. Not the whole washout though, that means India qualify.

Comment

Has there ever been a first ball review?

And it's ... wasted! NZ's day, it is written.

Comment

Is 1/0 from 3 overs bad or very bad?

Edit: 1/1 isn't better is it?

Comment

Bad now. But I don't think anyone was expecting the openers to last more than 5 minutes.

Comment

I know this is a bat first world cup, but this really wasn't bad first conditions. I bet Williamson wishes he'd lost the toss.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              Thanks, it's a neat diagram. You don't often see that much success for the Greens.
                                              You should be more worried about matching success for the Turquoises. Their star batter Widdy Widdecombe has something of the day-night about her

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi
                                              I don't understand what that shows
                                              Winning team in each game (drawn/abandoned games are blank), plus the margin. Distinguishing between winners batting first and second.

I did roadtest the chart with some grade schoolers, probably should have simplified it further for corporate lawyers

Comment

NZ would be thrilled to get to 250 from here.
                                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 09-07-2019, 10:08.

Comment

Only able to keep track of the match via car radio but just heard that NZ didn't score from the first 17 balls of the innings which is an astounding stat.

Comment

Well now, Pandya, one of India's five bowlers, has left the field. A chink for NZ, here, if India have to use part timers. Maybe Kohli and Dhoni could send down some medium pace dob!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X