No announcement yet.

Cricket World Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sixes at all from India so far. They need a few now if they want to stand a chance.

Comment

Game over for India?

Comment

Another wicket for Plunkett. This is the first time I've seen England play in this World Cup. They've bowled really intelligently.

Comment

Betting syndicate alert!!

Especially if not bowled out.

Comment

I think the England fielding has been exceptional today. Bairstow has been a man possessed... I watched the England v Australia game on Tuesday and England were no where near as intense.

Comment

I'm starting to think that England might have a chance here...

Comment

Never doubted them. Well until they lose to New Zealand anyway.

Comment

The old Irish bloke who comes into the pub every day was slightly thrown out when a couple of women were sitting at his usual table watching the cricket. He's got his table now.

Did those of you who give money to Murdoch enjoy little things like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                    The old Irish bloke who comes into the pub every day was slightly thrown out when a couple of women were sitting at his usual table watching the cricket. He's got his table now.

Did those of you who give money to Murdoch enjoy little things like that?
                    Slightly thrown out?

Was he made to stand in the doorway with all the smokers?

Comment

It's not Murdoch anymore.

Comment

It was encouraging that England chose to bat. India were outplayed today but will be in the semis even with two narrow losses in the remaining games.

Australia will be encouraged to see India slip up but wary of a resurgent England or Pakistan.
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 30-06-2019, 18:34.

Comment

My India-supporting colleague claims India are keen to avoid a Pakistan semi-final, so weren't trying too hard for a win today. Although this was after about 15 overs, when they were being hit all over the park.
                          Bumrah and Sharma are a pretty awesome pairing - you'll be playing well to get 80 from their 20 overs, apart from their wicket threat.

Comment

https://twitter.com/shaunjlawson/status/1145400032599953409?s=19

Comment

Give it a fucking rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

I don't understand that and would need more info. If the umpire signals leg bye but it's reviewed and given LBW, the review overturns the leg bye automatically so I don't see a problem there.
                                Actually I don't think I understood it either. Vic Marks was talking about Aleem Dar, the umpire who was involved in previous DRS cases with India, and the non-review for Roy yesterday.

Meanwhile it may be time to revise my earlier conspiracy theory. The weather forecast for Durham suggests NZ and England won't be able to settle for a point each, so it'll have to be the full 1982 Gijon fix: NZ losing but protecting their net run rate. Better bat second, Kane.

Comment

Or NZ might want a win boost having lost their last two, and Pakistan are probably still an easier team to have with you in the semis than a team that is both the World No. 1 and hosts (It could also still be Bangladesh)

I also think deliberately not going for it puts you in a negative mindset which is unhealthy in a tournament where you want aggression.

I'd hope so anyway or the format is going to look like if favours deliberately not going for the chase.

We also have a format issue this week of 6 days of mainly dead rubbers.
                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-07-2019, 11:17.

Comment

Today is a dead rubber, so is Thursday, and Saturday's games will likely be for nothing more than confirming final positions in the group, but tomorrow and Wednesday are most definitely live games and Friday will be live to some extent, even if it's only Pakistan needing an enormous victory.

Comment

Today's is only a dead rubber because of the bizarre decision to have a first tiebreak of "most wins" with NRR as the second one, which simply gives the advantage to whoever has had better weather. As it happens, England's NRR is way ahead of SL's, but an enormous win for SL might have kept the issue alive - and an enormous win looks possible right now.

Comment

First tie break ought to be head to head, especially from a Pakistan perspective, possibly going out tied with a team they beat.

Comment

40 left from 4 now. It's turned out to not be a bad match. Nicholas Pooran has a century - and I was wondering why I didn't really know him as a player. So I looked him up on Cricinfo, and see that he's played not much ODI, a chunk of T20s. The weirdest thing is that he's 23, has only played 3 first class matches, and all of them were years ago. How does this happen? Is he not selected for the Trinidad first class games? Or does he refuse to play, believing that he's going to make much more money focused on the short formats?

Comment

Another heart-breaking finish for the West Indies, though not of the levels of the NZ match. Today turned in to a gripping match really but lots of slapstick play contributed to that.

I wonder if Afghanistan will pile on the misery for the Windies.

Comment

There's a worry this might push them even more towards T20 as their dominant focus, especially assuming the loss to SL will keep them below the Top 8 in ODIs (although their form was much better than SL coming in, and I assume it will be a race between them and SL to avoid pre-qualifying next time).

For this tournament however, they still have a realistic chance of finishing above South Africa on NRR, and have probably been better than them over the tournament, including having them on the ropes at 29-2 when their game was rained off. But that goes out of the window if Afghanistan beat them, obviously.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-07-2019, 18:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                First tie break ought to be head to head, especially from a Pakistan perspective, possibly going out tied with a team they beat.
                                                This seems so obvious. A lot of other sports seem to have a hard time with this concept as well.

Comment

Angelo Matthews hasn't bowled for 9 months. Not even in the nets.

2-0-6-1

Comment

I think that this tournament is proving that the West Indies have effectively given up on the ODI format.

T20 is clearly where the primary interest of players, administrators and domestic supporters lies, while Tests still have enough historical resonance to matter (as well as being reasonably lucrative, particularly given the volume of traveling England fans and Indian rights payments). Given the volume of T20 opportunities available to virtually the entire player pool and the intensity of leagues like the IPL or Big Bash, something has to give, and it is the 50 over version of the sport.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X