No announcement yet.

Cricket World Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done Pakistan, now get off the pitch!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

They have still got the West Indies to play!
      But their best bowler took a nasty whack from a full drive in his last over.

I think the local derby factor hung over this game, causing errors from both sides, but Afghanistan do look capable of winning games in future tournaments, especially in Asia. They obviously need better death bowlers (50 off the last 5, four of which were dross, with only one bowled by their top player).
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-06-2019, 17:13.

Comment

Of course, on a steep learning curve.

More experience will serve them well.

Comment

I've been listening to the radio commentary from Lord's, where Jim Maxwell & co basically ignored the game in front of them and relayed ball-by-ball text updates from Leeds.

Nominations for worst ever captaincy decisions are now closed. Putting the opposition in at the Gabba seemed sane by comparison.

Comment

Ah, crap. Heartbreak for Afghanistan.

Comment

Australia look to have put a (black) cap in New Zealand.

Comment

Pakistan v Afghanistan

Well, as a matchgoing experience this was certainly different. At least 80% of the fans there were supporting one of the teams, which made me suspect I got lucky in the ballot. There's stuff about crowd disturbances, this is probably down to the fact that with three overs to go there appeared to be a fracas which was right under the press box and which seemed quite hefty from the opposite side where I was. There had been a minor scuffle earlier where several had got flung out, then when the match ended about thirty folk got over the barriers and onto the field, though it seemed largely good natured. There were nowhere near as many stewards as for a Test match (someone thought less alcohol = less chance of trouble maybe?) and most of the intruders got back into the stands without any problems.

It was fucking noisy all day as well, lots of "Pakistan! Zindabad!" chants, lots of those horns, a bloke with a drum near me, the noise went up every Pakistan wicket and boundary. There was a bloke carrying around a large photo of Imran Khan which many had their picture taken with. Nearby was a bloke carrying a huge portrait of some military fellow wearing a load of medals, which I assume is the army chief keeping Imran in office.

I had a new experience as I was in the East Stand, which is somewhere I never go as it's the members area. This also meant I had access to the Long Room, where I could sit having my lunch and watching the match from Lords. Which was nice as there was aircon in there. Though a member of staff said to me "we're letting anyone in here today who wants to use the bar, normally we take twenty thousand at an England international in here, today we'll be lucky if we get a grand"

Oh yeah, and there was a match, and it was tense if flawed. Afghanistan can knock it for singles but don't have a power hitter, kind of the opposite of Chris Gayle. Pakistan looked in control but some good bowling ripped out the middle order and they needed 46 off five. Myself and the bloke in the next seat agreed Pakistan needed a big over, and, yep, on came Gulbadain and 18 runs ensued. There was some rather brainless cricket from both sides in the closing stages, especially Afghanistan, who should have closed that out. Still it meant my second last over finish of the tournament, so I was pleased with that.

Comment

What was the pipe/woodwindy/bagpipy instrument that I could hear on the commentary? I assume it was Afghan.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1144939337110478848?s=19

Some context to the 'Stan' derby scuffles yesterday.

Comment

England et al win toss and bat first, should make them favourites today, with Roy back.

Given the problems teams batting second have had in this tournament.

Comment

England heading to a big score here...

Comment

Tournament needs one of those modern games, with a team chasing down 400. Commiserations England.

Interesting discussion on TMS about the review rules: umpires are told not to signal leg-byes too soon, giving the game away. Clock has to run down first.

Comment

Good innings by Bairstow.

Comment

Poor from Morgan...and suddenly the pressure is back on England

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                Tournament needs one of those modern games, with a team chasing down 400. Commiserations England.

Interesting discussion on TMS about the review rules: umpires are told not to signal leg-byes too soon, giving the game away. Clock has to run down first.
                                I don't understand that and would need more info. If the umpire signals leg bye but it's reviewed and given LBW, the review overturns the leg bye automatically so I don't see a problem there.

Anyway, the England batsmen have redeemed themselves to a degree here but the bowlers and fielders still have to raise their game above where it was in the three defeats, most notably v Pakistan.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 30-06-2019, 13:54.

Comment

Think Joe Root didn't get the memo Satchmo - that drop of Kohli could be vital...

Comment

Kohli's now out, again failing to turn a 50 into a century. Good bowling change from Morgan. Nothing was happening and India were scoring freely so he brought back Archer who bowled a good over. Plunkett then got Kohli, the first ball of the subsequent over. Rohit Sharma now has a century but, with the run rate at over 10 an over, it'll take something very special for India to win it from here. Still, with India you just never know.

Comment

And as I type, India have just scored 10 off their last over.

Comment

I've heard of throwing your bat at it...

Comment

Woakes gets Sharma out!

Comment

Plunkett gets Pant out for 32, Woakes catching well on the boundary. Surely England can't mess it up from here?

Comment

Still convinced that this is well within India's reach.

Comment

105 off 10, with 4 down. Not feasible.

Comment

Potentially doable

Comment

Only done twice in 50 overs ODI apparently. But happens alot in T20...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X