No announcement yet.

Cricket World Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope that no-one thought that this was funny: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/48708379

Comment

Rain stops play as Australia cross 350 with just a single over remaining.

It would be a crying shame if the rain continued all day and forced the points to be shared.

Comment

At this point we should probably note that Bangladesh's best ever score in an ODI is 330, but that was set a couple of weeks ago against South Africa. And the short boundaries at Trent Bridge do lend themselves to high scores. Even so, this looks well beyond their reach.

Comment

They're coming back out for one over. This might give the ECB some ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
            I hope that no-one thought that this was funny: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/48708379
            Right in the sandpaper

Comment

Bangladesh's worm is almost exactly matching the Aussies' at present.

Comment

They didn't sustain it quite enough, but a couple of cracking little innings and a final total over 320 is a reminder again that Bangladesh aren't the team they used to be.

It's so depressing that it's David Warner who's playing well for Australia. Couldn't it be someone, anyone, else?

Comment

Bangladesh look a good bet to retain fifth and be considered "best of the rest".

They've played well against New Zealand, England and Australia without getting results against any of them.

Comment

The great Andy Zaltzman on the tournament so far.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48704114

Anyone know what TMS is doing with its scorers over the summer? I love Zaltzman, I always look forward to Andrew Samson, and there's the other guy who I have no feelings about one way or the other.

Comment

I enjoyed Zaltzman earlier saying that a ninja turtle would be a defensive batsman "because they go into their shell". Ooh, now Bairstow's got another golden duck.

Comment

I presumed Sampson is still the test stats man with Zaltzman covering ODIs (as it's been for the last three years) and the heir apparent once Sampson packs it in.

Comment

Kinda off topic, but I recently read that India somehow bans Pakistanis from the IPL. Is that true and, if so, how is that tolerated by the rest of the world?

Comment

It is sort of like asking why the NFL is tolerated. The financial weight of the Indian market is so strong that they are allowed to get away with all kinds of stuff (see the discussion of how the format was decided)

Comment

I think the ban on Pakistani players comes from the Indian government rather than the organisers of the IPL - if any were signed they wouldn't be given visas. Global tolerance of this largely comes as a result of the large percentage of global cricket income that comes from Indian TV. I suspect franchises in other Twenty20 competitions are also not too unhappy about Pakistani players not having IPL income to fall back on, and so may be more willing to take a lower deal elsewhere.

Comment

But there’s no international American football organization with any clout or leverage.

Comment

Nor is there any international cricket entity willing to take on the Indians

Comment

England doing their best to keep the qualification process alive here.

Comment

I thought that Sri Lanka were supposed to be rubbish this time round...

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Nor is there any international cricket entity willing to take on the Indians
                                        I see. Other federations could keep their players from playing in it, but I guess they aren’t willing to do that.

Comment

Correct, in large part because players have refused to play for the national team if they are barred from participating in the IPL (where they can make as much or more in six to eight weeks as they can the rest of the year).

Comment

In the early days of the IPL the ECB didn't allow English players to play, theoretically to protect the integrity of domestic cricket in England (the ECB tries to keep the privilege of messing around with domestic cricket to itself). They did try to set up a rival competition (the English Premier League) which led to their ill advised alliance with Allen Stanford. Following the collapse of that the ECB started to allow English players to sign for IPL teams (with a compromise that players in the England team would play in the early weeks of the IPL before returning to the UK for international fixtures), realising that they were probably going to lose out if forced to make players choose between a contract in England or one in India.

Comment

¿Hay Liga?

Comment

Ha! We're back with a flourish.Leo Varadkar, Saint Jacinta Ardern, Mia Mottley can ye hear me. Yer Crue took one hell of a beating

Comment

Ireland and Barbados aren't playing, whilst NZ have already beaten Sri Lanka!

Though great result for the latter, all the same.

Proves the Harlem Globetrotters aren't unbeatable.

Comment

Did you know that the Harlem Globetrotters didn't play in Harlem until 1968? And yes, they have lost a few games.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X