BethPGA Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BethPGA Black

We find out this week if the USPGA's decision to move its major to May proves to be popular with fans as hoped. Up until this year, it was played in August, and always really disregarded as a major compared to its more illustrious rivals. Which was always a little unfair, as the tournament has for many years invited a stronger field than either the Masters or the US Open, and has produced some of golf's true moments of drama - Bob Tway chipping in from a bunker to beat Greg Norman, Tiger Woods getting home from a cart path to beat Bob May in 2000, or signalling his comeback in challenging Brooks Koepka last year.

The move in the calendar is to create a "major season" for golf, with majors now scheduled in April, May, June and July, leaving August for the FedEx Cup bonanza and September for Ryder Cups. "Why not have the Australian Open in November as a major?" Is a bloody good question.

To this week, though. Any of the current top six could replace Dustin Johnson as world number one with a win, and the sixth of those - a certain Mr Woods - is favourite to do just that. If not him, I'm looking out for Tony Finau or Xander Schaufelle.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 16-05-2019, 11:48.

The trouble with the US Open and the USPGA is that they're both invisible.

Comment

Thank god the weather has improved, as it has been miserable for most of the last week.

Playing the PGA only on public courses might give it the identity that I has sorely lacked since they abandoned match play.

Bethpage Black is very much not a fun day out for the non-scratch golfer, particularly when it is being prepared for a major.

Comment

I'm bothered that three of the four majors are in the US. It feels weird to me, America-centric. Particularly when compared to tennis. There should definitely be one in Australia or Japan or somewhere.

Also, it feels a little odd that the same course can host both US Open and US PGA. How do the two events choose to distinguish themselves from each other?

Comment

This has been having a more interesting final back nine than I was expecting earlier in the day. A howling gale and Ursus's favourite rough seem to have been making things tough for everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X