X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Ayres death has been confirmed, not in so many words, as suicide ;

"Danny absolutely lived for speedway. That was the only place he was truly free, free from any troubles and cares in his mind."

I hope the sport will take this chance to promote awareness of mental health issues.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    I loved Danny Ayres so I'm just going to leave the words I put on the Gladiators and SpeedwayGB facebook pages.

What the actual. I didn't know Danny but I'm sure there are plenty around these parts who did and he seemed like a top, top bloke. It didn't matter what he did around our track it was just a pleasure to see him ride and watch him win which he did on numerous occasions.

To all his friends and family I can offer nothing more than my deepest sympathy. Far too young and far too talented. God's speedway track has gained a good 'un.

RIP Danny Ayres. Speedway and life is little bit emptier without you.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Terrible news that rider Danny Ayres has died at 33.

His time at a number of clubs (as is the way with riders nowadays) and riding style & showmanship meant he was a really popular rider and his death has been felt across the sport.

This is a good way to remember him ;

[URL]https://twitter.com/btsport/status/1155946601942142977?s=21[/URL]

I've been tardy starting a 2020 season thread, given how disappointing 2019 turned out for me. There's been some positive news and hopefully some more on the horizon so will get round to starting one up before the season starts in 6 weeks or so.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-02-2020, 18:26.

Leave a comment:

• nmrfox
    replied
    Shocking news about Colin North, the Marketing Director of Teng Tools and a long time sponsor and supporter of both speedway and stock cars as well as most forms of autosport in the UK. On Friday evening he was presenting awards for speedway and on Saturday was at Birmingham Wheels Raceway for the Stock Car Gala meeting which closes the season. At the end of the first F1 heat he was on track to present the prize for first place when he was hit by a recovery track and was killed .

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    And Plymouth weren't accepted into the second level.

According to our promotion all the criteria were met and in place, but those goalposts, including greater financial assurances and bonds, were moved during the AGM so that was that. The general feeling is that the new chairman of the BPSA, Rob Godfrey, isn't much a fan of Plymouth while Kent, who have also made the step up, have Mr Speedway behind them so we had no chance. The Championship will run a north-south split with six clubs in each half, racing divisional opponents twice home and away while meeting clubs from the other region just once home and away.

Newcastle are the lastest struggling club and, while accepted, are not guaranteed to come to the tapes in March.

It sounds like we'll go again in the National League and try to move up again next year, but at the moment there are maybe only around six clubs at best. Mind you it doesn't stop the seven club Premiership.

Leave a comment:

• HeavyDracula
    replied
    Poole chose to be relegated to division 2!

Leave a comment:

• HeavyDracula
    replied
    Jeff Scott is one of the best people I met through speedway and his books are a superb read, for the speedway expert and neophyte alike.

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    I was impressed to see a letter from Jeff Scott in the September issue of WSC (in relation to the demise of Workington Comets and an earlier article on football and rugby in the town).

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    And, when I do, it's only the National League stuff. The move to North-South is my thought on it, but I'd guess that's the prevalent opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    On the Plymouth forum. Apparently it's all the talk on the main BSF site, but I don't tend to venture there.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    That would be the sensible option, where did you hear that about Poole?

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    Poole threatening to move down to the Championship, so not sure where that leaves the Premiership in the quest to increase to ten clubs. Now it feels like this may be the first step towards a combined PL/CL split into North and South divisions.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    The second leg finished 62-27 to Swindon, for fucks's sake.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Swindon won the belated (due to multiple postponements for bad weather) first leg of the Premiership Grand Final away to Ipswich 41-49 last night. I can't imagine the Witches will turn that around at Blunsdon tomorrow night, especially as I saw them lose 66-24 there six/seven weeks ago.

I'm hoping to get to a (again, much belated) leg of the National League Final next Monday when Kent Kings host Leicester Lion Cubs (such a dreadful name for their development side) at Central Park. That will finish off the most unsatisfying season for me since I got in to the sport. I hope, in vain, that 2020 bucks the trend of so many years and shows some improvement in the organisation and state of speedway.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-10-2019, 19:52.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    That's OK, I've hunted around and found that comment.

I would file it under unsubstantiated rumour from an unverifiable source (looking at the guy who made it, I think he may have previously been on the track staff at Lakeside actually) rather than anything more conclusive.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    Rye House fans speedway page, although you have to search through all the replies to find it. It appeared about two weeks ago. I'll put the facebook page link on when I get home from work if I remember.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Which page was that on?

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    I saw on the Rye House facebook page that the club should be back up and racing next season, but the owners of the site don't want the riders to be paid. In otherwords amateur only which I don't have a problem with. At least it brings the club back from the dead.

Leave a comment:

• HeavyDracula
    replied
    Relatively, yes. But these developers can sit on land for years, and so the impasse remains. Unless they’re willing to sell, and there’s someone able to buy, Brandon is still history.

I see Bartosz Zmarzlik won the SGP series, from Leon Madsen. The second one is more surprising than the first!

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    I saw there was some relatively postive news about Brandon in the Speedway star, HD?

Leave a comment:

• HeavyDracula
    replied
    9 years ago today, Coventry Bees beat Poole Pirates to win the Elite League. Within a year, Coventry had been sold, and would go out of business at the end of 2016. Matt Ford is a c*nt.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    Watching the Plymouth team this year has been a hard slog.

It started quite promisingly with a tight win against league favourites Kent and a decent win on the Isle of Wight, but outside of the heat leaders no other rider was scoring the sort of points needed to win meetings. The reserves especially being outscored by their opposite number. So the team was strengthened with David Wallinger who had already knocked back our advances during the team building season and we'd been warned would drop us if a better offer came around which meant anything more northern. Well Redcar made that offer so he went. Then our only second string rider who was actually pushing up his average and scoring well went injured his shoulder running into the back of Kent rider who'd ditched right in front of him, then Adam Sheppard who moved up from reserve to replace him ended his season hitting the running boards just before the line but as he crossed still touching his bike got the heat win. We now had a six man team which was effectively four as Kris Andrews, brother of one of our stalwarts, Richie, was returning nowt most weeks and Tom Young hadn't riden competitively for six years and it showed. We would either get hammered by the strong teams, Leicester, Belle Vue and Cradley or by a couple of points, Kent, Mildenhall. A couple of wins against the Island (who we seem to have the sign over) and Stoke was about all we had to show. We didn't hit 50-points once and got the wooden spoon.

Yet, yet, with the rumours about the demise of the National League, the second strings of Belle Vue and Leicester won't rejoin coupled with the demise of Stoke and probably Cradley have left the remaining four stand alone clubs with a quandary. Four teams doesn't make a league, it barely makes an early season trophy group but with the rumours eminating that the Premier League is desperate to entice three more clubs up to make a ten team league (those clubs being Leicester, Sheffield and Somerset) our promotion has blinked first and it looks like we'll be applying to make the step to the Championship. The thought is that without the third tier the logical step will be to slightly weaken the second league making entry easier and costs lower but who knows how the BSPA will see things. Whether the three teams left behind will follow remains to be seen.

Suddenly things seem so much more exciting. I have a feeling Ben Barker may yet ride again at the Arena/ Coliseum.

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    That's grim news, both for the speedway and the stock cars. The stock car promoter is already facing the loss of their Belle Vue track and has posted this about Stoke.

Whilst at this point we are still coming to terms with the announcement, it has been no secret by ourselves for a number of years, that the freehold for the site has been for sale for redevelopment. We have also stated that racing was allowed to continue there as goodwill rather than just flatten the site until such point in time it was sold.

Indeed in the past we ourselves offered £1m for the site however the valuation was much higher. There was always an inevitability that it would be sold, now that has happened.

We are currently looking at options and indeed we plan to stage probably two additional events at Loomer Road in October to ensure it least gets a proper farewell.

However, the last event WILL be the first Saturday in November.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Another club goes ;

[URL]https://twitter.com/stoke_speedway/status/1171446115243216896?s=21[/URL]

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    The stadium has been bought by the firm that owns the adjacent karting track which, I imagine, means they will expand on to it and speedway is finished there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X