Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road to Zion? NCAA Tournament 2019

Figured we deserved a thread.

Zion Williamson is obviously the player that everyone wants to watch, but with Duke playing on Friday, a lot of people took notice of Ja Morant on Thursday. He became just the 12th player ever to record a triple double in the NCAA tournament (and his 16 assists is the 4th highest total ever), and Murray State is suddenly everyone's favorite mid-major. I had only really heard of him because of NBA draft projections, where he's been climbing all year, but wow was that an incredible game from him.

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1108860920720027649

https://twitter.com/_MarcusD3_/status/1108855034660425734

They beat Marquette like a red headed stepchild, but appear almost totally without structure or discipline.

Comment

My pick for the champion is Virginia, over Duke.

Which would be very bad for the UCLA head coaching search, as people assume that Bennett is a potential top pick for the search committee, and most UCLA fans are hoping for another early Virginia exit.

The big rumors around that is that UCLA had John Calipari all but wrapped up as their next coach, but someone in the administration leaked that. Tracy Pierson, who runs Bruin Report Online, one of those paid insider forums on either Scout or 247 Sports, published a story saying that, and it was publicly available and got picked up pretty much everywhere on Wednesday morning. Wednesday evening Calipari says he's fully committed to Kentucky. So either he never was interested in UCLA, or he was but having that come out on the eve of the tournament, which obviously put him in an uncomfortable position, soured him on the job. Personally, I know people from outside of LA always like to say "but the cost of living!" for a reason why a coach wouldn't be interested in UCLA, but no one ever seems to talk about the "benefits of living," and do you think a guy like Coach Cal would prefer life in Lexington over life on the west side of Los Angeles?

I think Cal is obviously an incredibly talented coach, but his past baggage would put me off of him. The fact that they'd be willing to offer something to sway a guy like that really makes me hopeful that UCLA won't just settle on a guy with a somewhat decent name that is trying to move up and will go hard for a top tier coach.

Comment

I wonder if this is a real thing: Calipari is 60, so he's old enough to remember the Wizards of Westwood years. I wonder if that makes the job more appealing to him than if he was 40 and had no real memory of UCLA dominance, besides the Ed O'Bannon Era Of Excellence.

Basketball is by some distance my least favorite Big 4 sport, but I miss the wall-to-wall nature of the early rounds of the NCAA tournament, where you pretty much flip from game to game like a headless chicken looking for the 13-4 upset.

Comment

Comment

ZOT ZOT ZOT

Comment

Maryland just barely survives a bunch of future county music producers in Jacksonville, and is rewarded with LSU, the conquerors of Yale and culture clash.

Comment

Nice roundup of the Women's Tournament so far

Comment

So,. a bunch of heathens will win the Men's Tournament

Notre Dame still keeping the faith alive in the Women's.
                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 31-03-2019, 01:45.

Comment

I stand to win a fair amount of money from a bracket pool if Virginia beats Auburn.

Comment

Best part of this final four, no UNC, no Duke, and no Kentucky.

Nothing against Auburn, but Bruce Pearl is scum - hope you win a fair amount of $$$.

Pulling for UVA or Texas Tech.

Comment

Working...
                      X