Eyeore, eyeore, Altior - Cheltenham 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eyeore, eyeore, Altior - Cheltenham 2019

The highlight of the (my) year starts Tuesday, when Mrs D and I will be in attendance for Champion Day - a good choice as it features the highest quality race of the meeting when Buveur d'Air takes on (and beats, I hope) Apples Jade (and Laurina) in the Champion Hurdle.
    Otherwise, as the title suggests, it's a middling vintage, not that I'm complaining, it's Cheltenham so it's all fantastic.
    My obsession deepens every year so I've indulged in every preview going, but I'm still not especially confident in any of my picks.

I think Paisley Park (blind owner) in the Stayers is more likely to provide ITV's "story for non-sports fans" than Lalor (trainer taken over yard after husband's suicide) in the Arkle.

Last year's Gold Cup was a poor spectacle, and not just because I didn't back the winner, hopefully this year will be a bit better, Presenting Percy deserves to be favourite, but not at those odds, so I'll be on Road to Respect or Kemboy.

We're staying in Bath, arriving Sunday and going back Thursday so a bit of a mini-break as well, although I'm never at my most relaxed this time of year so we'll see how that pans out.

I'm only going to the Gold Cup this year, but I'm already getting goose pimples thinking about it. For me it's the whole four days, all 28 races and seeing the top horses running everyday. I'm staying in Swindon Thursday / Friday but the journey to Cheltenham full of other chattering race goers really builds the atmosphere. It's one of my ambitions to take a whole week off work and spend it at Cheltenham during the festival. I'll have to be a very rich man to do that, so until then a premier inn in Swindon will have to suffice!

Comment

Presenting Percy is coming into to the festival having raced once all season...in a hurdle. Am I missing something here regarding his favouritism? Even if he was an impressive winner of last year's RSA. Native River and the other main contenders are hardly Arkle but they're still offically rated in the high 160's upwards. PP is going to have improve by at least a stone on his current 157 BHA figure to win this thing. Still, it would be nice to see the 2006 Derby winner Sir Percy get a Gold Cup winner. An underrated flat sire given limited opportunities and I belive the only stallion standing in the UK from the sire-line of the great Mill Reef. He'll most likely be the last.

Comment

I'm not sure what will happen on Wednesday as Storm Gareth is due to hit and is forecast to hit central England, Wales and the south-west with strong winds. Lots of pop up stands dotted around won't be good for the health and safety. When was the last time a days racing was abandoned at the Cheltenham festival?

Comment

2008 due to High winds.

Shows how fast time goes, I thought it was only a couple of years ago.

I used to look forward to Race week when I lived in Cheltenham. Whilst getting to and from work was a massive challenge, the atmosphere around the town was immense. The last few years it doesn't seem the same though with a lot more lairyness about.

I'll have an accumulator a day, and will put some on the Gold Cup - I'm also taking advantage of Skybet's first race offer (put money on up to Ł20 and if your horse loses get the money back as cash). I'm usually quite good at picking the Gold Cup winner - but it is very much all hope rather than expectation with my picks.

Comment

I'm just getting on the 3:30 and 4:10 each day. Nothing adventurous, just horses who have won money for me in the past, so Buveur d'Air, Altior, Tiger Roll, Paisley Park. Yet to decide what to pick in the Gold Cup.

ITV4 racing has been something of a highlight to my week as the baby restricts most weekend adventures. So, I've been following the national hunt season more than ever and am really looking forward to watching the festival when I can get the time away from work

Comment

For the first time in many a year I've managed to be abroad during Cheltenham week, so I'll be lucky to see much tomorrow, might get into an Irish bar for the big races on Wednesday and will miss Thursday completely while I'm on a flight. Thankfully I'm home and off work Friday so I will at least get to see the Gold Cup, but it won't feel quite the same somehow.

Comment

Gone Ł5 we on Lady Buttons at 4:10.

I've opened 3 new betting accounts for this and got some great opening bet deals, my total outlay has been Ł20 for Ł90 worth of free bets Downside is I'm getting hammered by promotional bumf.

Comment

Should be 5 ew

Comment

Yeah it's a bit of a minefield, and I don't have many bookies left to be a new customer of, although I've convinced Paddy Power they don't know me and I'm giving Betway and 888 a go this year. I mainly use the free bets for Mrs D's picks, as well as to arb off losses (i.e. if Apple's Jade does beat Buveur d'Air, I'll get some of my money back).
                    There are some good 1st day offers, Paddy P is giving money back if your horse is 2nd 3rd or 4th all day, Betway is money back on losers in the 1st and last race.
                    My main account is BetVictor, and thanks to a couple of spectacular days recently, I've built up a few hundred quid in there to play with, having had just Ł6 left a month ago.

Benie des Dieux is pretty much nailed on for the 4.10, I'm on Good Thyne Tara and Cap de Soleil to run into a place at a decent price.

Hoping to get there early doors tomorrow for a good look round before it gets too crazy, last time we were a bit blasé, wandering into Birmingham New Street at 11.00 before being directed to an hour long queue to get on a Cheltenham train, only just made it for the first race. Leaving Bath 9.30 to hopefully get to the course for 11.

Comment

So, I've gone with Al's Dancer in the first then done an accumulator of Glen Forsa (4/1), Minella Rocco (8/1), Laurina (7/2), Benie Des Dieux (1/1) and Tower Bridge (15/2). My 87p e/w bet pays Ł3,015.74 if it wins.

I'm not hopeful

Comment

On jump racedays - usually only Saturdays, but not when Cheltenham's on - I bet a total of Ł15.00 on a lucky 15 e/w (50p unit stake). This season, I'm currently Ł250 up.

However, I never ever win at Cheltenham. Not a sausage. So this year I've decided to go for long-odds outsiders, just for the value. So, this morning, I got on the Betfred app and tried to bet on Thomas Darby, Clondaw Castle, Vintage Clouds and Jester Jet. Before I pressed 'place bet' it said the return if they all won (which they won't, and I'm not trying to bet on them for that) would be about Ł240,000. It wouldn't accept it, and kept saying 'your offer has been revised' when I pressed 'place bet', automatically leaving me with just 15p unit stake maximum (at a win return of about Ł75,000 on a Ł2.25 bet). I took the bet.

I then couldn't relax, and realised I'd have to go to the bookies if I want to 'scratch the itch' and get a 50p unit stake on them. But hen I thought 'what if I just change one of the horses on the app'? So I substituted Aramon for Thomas Darby, and it allowed me to place the Ł15.00 bet for a return of about Ł180,000. Can't work that out.

But I was still anxious. I still needed to go to the bookies to lay the original bet I wanted to, for 50p unit stake - I mean, it might come in, mightn't it? I'd never forgive myself, etc etc. But when I got there, I looked in more detail at the chances of Brandon Castle in the first instead of Thomas Darby, and replaced the latter. So now, I've got 3 bets on largely the same horses, having spent Ł17.25 more than I ever do.

Can't wait for 1.30.

Comment

Wouldn't you know it, the one that I was 'forced' to only put 15p on online, then changed my mind on in the betting shop, is the one that came in second at 28-1...

Comment

To continue - I know y'all are interested - I had Clondaw Castle in all 3 bets at 28/1 to come in the first 3. It came 4th.

Comment

I only ever bet on Cheltenham. Small bets on the first 4 races every day. My original €50 deposit on William Hill 15 years ago is showing a healthy €5 profit. It should just get me through another festival.

Off to a good start with Duc De Genevieres in the 2nd. Going for Buveur d'Air again, as I always do.

One year I'm definitely going to come over from NL for the festival. Given that my parents live in Stroud (25 mins on the train), we'd be happy to offer accommodation to 1 or 2 otfers. Going on your own is no fun after all.

Comment

I'd invite you all to stay at mine (I live in Tewkesbury) - but not sure the wife would be ok with it.

Today has been a complete write off by the way - Al Dancer trailed off disappointingly, Glen Forsa fell and Minella Rocco was pulled up.

That wouldn't be so bad, aside from the fact on Saturday I put Ł20 on Klassical Dream to win the first at 6/1 - then cashed it out this morning to change the bet to Al Dancer....

Comment

Vintage Clouds gave me a good run for 2nd place at 20/1, I enjoyed that race.

Comment

That was all a huge anti climax after the build up.

Comment

Well, not quite Brigadier Gérard, Mill Reef and My Swallow was it?

Hope Buveur d'Air is OK.

Comment

I've got 13 Roksana in the 4.10 but I can't see it beating Bene Des.

Comment

8am inspection planned for tomorrow based on the wind strength with the entire card being moved to Saturday if it is called off.

Comment

Bloody hell, what a dramatic end to that race!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                              I've got 13 Roksana in the 4.10 but I can't see it beating Bene Des.
                                              Oh ye of little faith.

Comment

Didn't realise that was a Ricci horse. Serves you right for BetBright, you horrible fucker.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                                  Didn't realise that was a Ricci horse. Serves you right for BetBright, you horrible fucker.
                                                  Have a like for that post longeared!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X