No announcement yet.

Eyeore, eyeore, Altior - Cheltenham 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've decided to have a bit of fun today (not that I've been taking it seriously all week).

My £20 this morning has gone on Capeland which was 16/1 yesterday but has drifted to 25/1. Given Skybet's Best Price Guarantee that means a cool £500 back if it wins.

Luckily I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Given that most male jockeys are 5 foot tall and weigh about 8 stone, why has it taken until 2019 for a woman to win a group one race here? Just natural barrier entries into the career?

And is there -not unrelated to the first question - an appetite in the race viewing public to see a female jockey get seriously injured (because that will happen)?

Comment

Wahey! Got a e/w yankee come in today on the 1st 4 races, picking 4 winners. Only £1 bets and 3 favourites in there, but it’s still gonna be a nice little return after washouts on the 1st two days. Really enjoyed the Ryanair & particularly the Stayers races that bought the bet home. Not bothered now if normal service resumes tomorrow. I’m not a big or regular gambler, but do like the Cheltenham gee-gees.

Comment

I had a good day as well with two more winners. Really looking forward to Gold Cup day tomorrow and fingers crossed for some more winners.

Comment

I didn't even back Frodon, and I love Frodon. Stupid head, telling me that my heart was wrong.

I tipped up Espoir D'Allen on the Racing Forum, and didn't put a penny on. I have been selective, as usual, about my bets. After Mister Fisher and Hardline got me off to a losing start, I've held back, so watched Tiger Roll (what an admirable horse) and Envoi Allen scoot in.

A Plus Tard has been my only decent winner, and if you backed Delta Work, Battleoverdoyen, Voix Du Reve and Janika, then I must apologise as it is my fault that they lost.

So, if I were you I'd avoid Mr Adjudicator, Derrinross and Not Another Muddle today. As for the Gold Cup? I may just stand back and watch, but may find a couple of quid for Elegant Escape (e/w). But this Pat Kelly enigma adds a great extra angle to what will be a fascinating race with so many angles already.

Comment

I'm each way on Lisp, Stoney Mountain, Thistlecrack and Coastal Tiep, and the Betfred app has just told me that, if they win, I'll get about £230000. That's nice.

Comment

I'm on Quel Destin in the first at 9/2.

I've then done an accumulator on:

14:10 - Whiskey Sour (6/1)
                14:50 - Commander of Fleet (7/1)
                16:50 - Not Another Muddle (6/1)
                17:30 - Defi Bleu (14/1)

I've not picked a Gold Cup horse yet, but I keep inching towards Kemboy. The 16:10 is the race I'm looking forward to. For each of the last two years my biggest win of the week has come on it through Pacha Du Polder. It's currently 16/1 with Skybet and how I do up to the Gold Cup will determine how much I back it later.

Comment

I'll go with head over heart heart this afternoon. The excitement is already building for me.

Comment

Comment

I don't like the rainfall radar at the moment. I think I may spend a fair bit of the meeting high up in the stands somewhere

Comment

No. 10 Quel Destin is my tip for the 1.30pm.

Comment

Well, that was horrible. Never seen a fall like that.

Comment

Shit. That’s today’s “banker” a goner. Horrible.

Comment

They're not showing Sir Erec going down here for obvious reasons. Was the broken leg the one that was re-shod before the race?

Comment

https://twitter.com/redpeteslack/status/1106554670959480833

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                    They're not showing Sir Erec going down here for obvious reasons. Was the broken leg the one that was re-shod before the race?
                                    No, I think it was the other front leg. Perhaps all its shoes were poorly fixed prior to the race?

Comment

Not many cheers from the crowd for that winner.

Comment

Had three winners this week - all of which came in while I was on a flight back from Germany - every race that I watched or followed on a betting app, my horse lost. There's a lesson in there somewhere but I'm going to pretend I can't see it.

Comment

Sir Erec was sickening and ruined the day a bit, especially as the TV coverage had focussed on what a fine horse it was while it was being re-shod. It was the same leg that broke, which was the same leg that had a stone bruise earlier in the week, but O'Brien convincingly said that they'd done all the X-rays and he'd passed the vets, so it was just one of those things.
                                          A nasty fatal fall in the Gold Cup as well, which quite correctly made ITV tone down their hyperbole. Pleased that the amateurs and conditionals all got their mounts back safely.

From a betting point of view, I was heavily into Sir Erec, and was also on Rhinestone, the same jockey/trainer combination, who understandably got pulled up as soon as he was a few lengths down.
                                          Otherwise I was on good horses that weren't quite good enough - Clan des Obeaux, Le Prezien, Stand Up and Fight, Wehaveadream, and most frustratingly, Dallas des Pictons, the other Irish good thing today, that got to the front and had nothing.

A pretty poor festival for me, came out only marginally up, but Mrs D's spectacular, shaming tipping successes (including the 50/1 yesterday) have made up for it - she never gave me any stake money, so technically it's my money, right?

ITV's coverage was outstanding in my opinion. Chamberlin, Bell, Cumani, Plunkett, McCoy, Fitzgerald, Harvey, Chapman, Hoiles (especially) all excellent, and most surprisingly Chris Hughes of Love Island was engaging and knowledgable, and even breathed a bit of life into the clunky social media segments - they've rehired him for future engagements.

They got a bit carried away with Bryony, she does come across well and is an improvement on the surly mumbling Irishmen we're used to, but punters and the industry really don't give a shit about the jockey's gender as long as they're skilled enough to win, and women have been winning at Cheltenham for years, and the Grade 1 thing isn't that big a deal, plenty of male jockeys have never won one (Aidan Coleman is closing in on 1,000 winners for some top trainers, but Paisley Park provided his first Grade 1 successes only in the past two months). Plus Katie Walsh won the Bumper last year, which was a Grade 1.
                                          And they overdid the Paisley Park thing, as I predicted in the opening post on the thread. OK, it's interesting that the owner is blind, but it's hardly inspirational, or a fairytale - all you need to be a racehorse owner is a lot of money, that's it.

Anyway, roll on March 10 next year.

Comment

I ended up £13 down on the week - but having won £20 on a first goalscorer bet last week I can't complain.

I was quite unlucky this week, but also picked some right donkeys as well. My accumulator had 4 placers, so I got just under £20 back as well, but my Gold Cup runner falling at the first summed my week up it seems.

I've loved the racing this week, and it's convinced me that I need to go at least once. As someone who has lived so near to it for so long it feels like I've definitely missed out on something,

Comment

Paisley Park was my saviour, as always. 2019 has been the only year I've ever taken regular withdrawals from my betting accounts largely due to him.

This is the first Cheltenham i've ever come into with a decent bit of background knowledge on form, and by God it makes a difference. Every rushed free Sky bet I made lost, yet every informed bet I made either won or came damn close.

I've left £5 in Sky Bet and £10 in Betway and imI going to see if I can build that up to around £50 in time for Ascot. But I'll probably blow it by the end of the Grand National (Tiger Roll, obvs).

Comment

Missed yesterday's coverage and quite glad I did now with Sir Erec's breakdown. This isn't the first case of a horse breaking down following pre-race veterinary concerns with the O'Brien's. His old man had high profile incidents with Horatio Nelson in a Derby, and George Washington (a classic winner who returned to racing from stud due to fertility problems) - who's leg shattered in the slop at a Breeders Cup Classic. Sir Erec was a novelty in GB/IRE jumps racing because he was an 'entire', and hadn't been gelded. Which makes his demise even sadder has he would have made an interesting stallion prospect for NH breeders. Sticking with the breeding angle there wasn't a single British bred winner at the festival this year. Questions will be asked but expect nothing to be done about it.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                                  Sir Erec was sickening and ruined the day a bit, especially as the TV coverage had focussed on what a fine horse it was while it was being re-shod. It was the same leg that broke, which was the same leg that had a stone bruise earlier in the week, but O'Brien convincingly said that they'd done all the X-rays and he'd passed the vets, so it was just one of those things.

From a betting point of view, I was heavily into Sir Erec, and was also on Rhinestone

Anyway, roll on March 10 next year.
                                                  Really great to see you had your priorities well set there. Enjoy the bloodfest next year and here's hoping you might be around a whole ten pounds better off.

Comment

Unintentionally hilarious moment was Mount Mews refusing to start in the penultimate race, although there had been some trouble in getting to the start line in the first place. Some bookies refunded any bets, but others refused stating it had made it to the start line and had therefore started even though it refused to move!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X