Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levin
    replied
    I'm surprised that Dream11 are a prominent advertiser. I didn't think gambling fitted with the 100 brand.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    All the teams are offering a camo pattern cap. Which feels rather cargo cult like.

I'm at the oval, it's sold out and I'd say there are as many people in Hundred merch as you see in county stuff at the blast

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Broad is actually quite a decent commentator, with a good voice

Hasn't whined once

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    I've only just realised that all the teams in the Hundred seem to be sponsored by crisp brands (or varieties thereof, like Pom-bears). I could go for a replica shirt with McCoys on it, or indeed Hula Hoops.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    He took 3 for 9 (with 19 dots) last night as MIi New York won the inaugural MLC championship

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    I always thought that there were two positives about the Hundred. 1, the women's teams were billed as equal (even if they aren't in any practical sense) and 2, I might get to see Rashid Khan play.

Number 2 seems to be turning into Charlie Brown's football. Rashid has pulled out of the Hundred again.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

The second option is what the article says is being considered.
    It's what I would expect.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    The options above are for the men's cricket, of course.

The latter option would certainly not happen without a change in governance in English cricket. But if Elizabeth Ammon's article in The Times about IPL franchises offering 12 month contracts comes to pass then English domestic cricket might not have much of a choice.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Etienne View Post
    There isn't scope for two T20 tournaments in one summer, so there are 4 options that I can see.

Ditch the Blast (which the counties play) and have a T20 with these franchises which would bankrupt half the counties and please no-one.
    Revamp the Blast (2 divisions possibly) and try and give it the marketing and media focus that was given to the Hundred (would irk traditionalists/county fans, might be hard to sell to media, would increase the financial disparity within the counties)
    Keep the Blast as it is and try and give it the marketing and media focus that was given to the Hundred (would please traditionalists/county fans, might be hard to sell to media)
    Ditch the Blast and sell off the franchises to the IPL global behemoths (would bankrupt half the countries, further destroy international cricket, but make lots more money for administrators and top players)
    The second option is what the article says is being considered.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The ECB is run by the counties, and turkeys aren't going to vote for Christmas

Leave a comment:

• Botswana Meat Commission
    replied
    Originally posted by Etienne View Post
    There isn't scope for two T20 tournaments in one summer, so there are 4 options that I can see.

Ditch the Blast (which the counties play) and have a T20 with these franchises which would bankrupt half the counties and please no-one.
    Revamp the Blast (2 divisions possibly) and try and give it the marketing and media focus that was given to the Hundred (would irk traditionalists/county fans, might be hard to sell to media, would increase the financial disparity within the counties)
    Keep the Blast as it is and try and give it the marketing and media focus that was given to the Hundred (would please traditionalists/county fans, might be hard to sell to media)
    Ditch the Blast and sell off the franchises to the IPL global behemoths (would bankrupt half the countries, further destroy international cricket, but make lots more money for administrators and top players)
    What would be the most likely? Presumably the last option as it involves the most money for the administrators?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Yes, the options are not attractive.

And I assume that there is no way the ECB can claw back the massive bonuses the previous administration awarded themselves for the "successful launch" of The Hundred.

Are they included in the 9 million?

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Botswana Meat Commission
    replied
    I quite liked having some form of cricket on free-to-air TV at a reasonable time in the day to see most of the action and quite enjoyed that aspect of it, if I then couldn’t care less who was actually playing and had no interest in the teams or any affiliation towards them. That was the only positive for me.

The advent of Twenty20 some twenty (?) years ago was exciting and interesting for someone who was pretty young at the time. If they could provide a bit of a lift to that, it wouldn’t be a bad thing at all especially if the Hundred was to go.

I’m no cricket buff but would a revitalised twenty over format see these made up teams instead of the usual county sides?

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    The double headers couldn't convert. Both because women's cricket is franchised (and was before the Hundred) at the top level, and because you couldn't play two T20 matches in an evening without a ridiculously early start or finish, because of the extra 40 balls.

You might get TV and media coverage of a women's only t20 tournament in the future - you certainly haven't so far.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Wouldn't it just be converted to a Women's T20 competition as well? I mean, the actual difference in format was all gimmicky nonsense anyway and wasn't intrinsically important so I'm sure the positive elements of the women's competition could transfer.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    I think they probably could run a stand alone tournament, they just won't get the audiences that the double headers with the men's game get them - and the TV and media coverage that comes with it.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    That's the primary concern.

The Women's Hundred is the one "world class" competition the ECB has, and Im not sure that it would survive on its own (though it likely could if run properly)

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    No tears would be shed about it disappearing from the Men's side, but it will be a huge blow to the women's game.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Predictable, if true ;

https://twitter.com/theoldbatsman/status/1651856342594772992?s=46&t=YPTuyXx_pzpV4Wjm6pdF-Q

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/TimesSport/status/1643689844160225284?t=XNCyL2KdIk3g-8-2v2Gk2g&s=19

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    The ECB have decided to try and funnel barrowloads of cash to some of the top English players to get them to play in the Hundred this year - further emphasising the disparity in how much money the women are getting. I doubt it will be that effective given how much the players who have the requisite star power to warrant this can earn in the IPL.

Also disconcerting is that Steven Smith having been consistently mediocre as a T20 player, has suddenly transformed into a beast.

Leave a comment:

• Jobi1
    replied
    The Hundred's title sponsors have confirmed they're not renewing their deal, as (unfortunately) have those for the Championship and the 50-over cup. That's got to be slightly concerning for the ECB. Hard not to slightly hope they don't find a new sponsor for the Hundred, although it would be a concern that they'll still go ahead with it and the costs will come out of cricket's pocket instead of a sponsor's.

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    More micro limited overs cricket?

No thanks.

Plus Ingerland, Cymru & ROTW have more than enough Diaspora(s) to hoover up already...

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    Trying to work out what I think the implications of this might be - a possible free-for-all undermining domestic planning or a greater cricketing melting pot?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X