Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etienne
    replied
    Draft just finished (for the women, which is the one that counts)

Birmingham pick Amy Jones and Richa Ghosh with 2 of their top 3 picks. Presumably Jones will keep. They will likely also field Seren Smale and possibly Ailsa Lister, so three or four keepers. Real Sri Lanka men's team from 4 years ago vibes. All 3 overseas players from RCB

Devine (o)
    Kallis
    Perry (o)
    Ghosh (o)
    A Jones +
    Seren Smale
    Lister
    Wong
    Baker
    Arlott
    Levick

London Spirit go with 3 Aussies (not sure if Lanning or Knight will captain them). Spin bowling very good, seam bowling less so

Lanning (o)
    G Harris (o)
    Knight
    Gibson
    Redmayne + (o)
    Griffith
    Dean
    Norris
    Glenn
    Munro
    Gray

Manchester Originals go heavy on openers, with no less than 4 international openers, Mooney, Wolvaardt, Lamb and Eve Jones. Pretty exciting bowling attack, with 2 top class spinners, and 3 promising fast bowlers.

Mooney + (o)
    Wolvaardt (o)
    Lamb
    E Jones
    Molineux (o)
    Morris
    Heap
    Ecclestone
    K Bryce
    Flier
    Gaur

Northern Superchargers

They've decided to ignore the WPL and bring in 3 overseas players who underwhelmed there as their most expensive players. Their English players don't look that great either, I have only named 8 as I don't recognise any of the rest of the squad.

Litchfield (o)
    Davidson-Richards
    Sutherland (o)
    L Smith
    Heath +
    Wareham (o)
    Armitage
    Cross

Oval Invincibles
    Loyal move to pay 30k for Tash Farrant who is good, but has barely played for 2 years, I think they probably could have got her for less and got an extra batter. Very good overseas players though and Winfield-Hill, Capsey and Villiers are good basis to work from.
    Winfield-Hill
    Athapaththu (o)
    Capsey
    Kapp (o)
    MacDonald-Gay
    Wellington (o)
    Scholfield
    Farrant
    Villiers
    Sophia Smale

Southern Brave
    Absolutely great business to get Cheatle for 14k, proving the benefit of a strategy where they try and get as much top England talent (Wyatt, Bell, Bouchier and Kemp) and rely on being able to get overseas players for less - apart from top band Mandhana. Kemp still won't be able to bowl I think, which leaves the bowling a bit lacking in depth, especially in spin,
    Mandhana (o)
    Wyatt
    Bouchier
    Tryon (o)
    Kemp
    Adams
    Dattani
    Cheatle (o)
    Bell

Trent Rockets

40k seems on the high side for Grace Scrivens for all her potential. Decent bowling, but the batting is very dependent on NSB.

B Smith
    Scrivens
    Sciver-Brunt
    Gardner (o)
    Graham (o)
    King (o)
    George
    Gordon
    Potts

Welsh Fire

Excellent recruitment from the Fire, who look like real contenders.

Matthews (o)
    Beaumont
    Dunkley
    S Bryce
    Elwiss
    Jonassen (o)
    Windsor
    Davies
    Ismail (o)

Prediction

1 Invincibles
    2 Fire
    3 Originals
    4 Brave
    5 Spirit
    6 Phoenix
    7 Rockets
    8 Superchargers

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    Ah well, nice to see Shrubsole go out with a trophy anyway.

This has been pretty much the only cricket I've watched on telly in August (being in Ireland for two weeks is only part of the reason), an absurd state of affairs really.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    "Don't stick octopuses to your head" Top life hack from Hartley on the BBC just now.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Strong start for SuperChargers in the women's final

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Quite

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Well. That was quite the final 6 balls.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    It lacks definition. It needs to be more cartoonish to stand out from a distance. It's just blob in a t-shirt. Edit: he is used sparingly though.

How about that, this new upcoming artist just happens to be Terrence Trent D'Arby's daughter. What are the chances.

It's a good score
    Last edited by Levin; 15-08-2023, 19:06.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    How weird does the wombat on the pitch look in person?

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Some really low scores in the women's matches at the Oval. Invincibles bowled out for 97 chasing 118/9.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    It's a real pleasure to watch Shaheen Shah Afridi bowl.

Leave a comment:

• Harbinger of Hope
    replied
    I was against the Hundred from the start. Have barely watched it despite my local team apparently winning it last season. I will be glad to see it go. Waste of time. The team names are stupid as well. Oh and taking an already complex game and changing loads of the rules so even cricket aficionados don't understand the game any more is just ludicrous.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    Apologies if this is not an original observation, but the logo of the team in purple doesn't half make it look as if they are called the Super Northern Chargers.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Really glad to see her (and Afraid & Rauf) live on Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/espncricinfo/status/1689679251014918144?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    The double headers really disadvantage coverage of the women's hundred. I know it's the school holidays but people at work can get to men's games but not women's.

I can't get over figures of 3/1 last night off 20 balls by S Johnson. On a pitch where his team just scored 180

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    SuperChargers men have really turned this around

Trent need 76 off 40

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    So is Mahika Gaur - seven runs from fifteen balls in the powerplay and the Surrey KPs openers couldn't get the ball out of the infield. Now Capsey has come in and clobbered a couple of boundaries off the other bowlers. Not raining for once.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    And he gets a third with his tenth ball

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Well, Luke Wood is on one for them

Two wickets for naught

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    I've only just realised that all the teams in the Hundred seem to be sponsored by crisp brands (or varieties thereof, like Pom-bears). I could go for a replica shirt with McCoys on it, or indeed Hula Hoops.
    Trent Rockets, I could get behind. Not only have they got one of the least stupid names, they play in yellow and red, which is always good, and as the icing on the cake they are sponsored by Skips.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    I was sure it was out after seeing it on the screen. The Fire players seemed similarly sure judging by their celebration when the first replays came up.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    That last run looked out on the replay.

Any fraction of the bat that was over the line didn't look grounded.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Well, that was one not very exciting game of cricket and another very exciting game.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Well that was a rubbish game of cricket.

They are currently extending the boundary for the men's game

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Anything to keep the Indians onside

Leave a comment:

Working...
X