Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    That’s more or less how our drafts work although except the deal with the player still has to be negotiated.

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied
    Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
    Teams have 100 seconds to make their selections. This is except for Nottinghamshirre Trent Rockets, who get about ten minutes to choose their first pick at each price range (teams select two players at each price) so that they can fit in a load of "analysis"
    You can cross out Nottinghamshire all you like, but they seemed to have picked at least half of their own players.

And in an auction, the players would be in a set order, with bidding on the player. In a draft, the prices paid are in a set order, and the teams fit the players into the brackets.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Why is it called a draft rather than an auction?

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    I don't really want to dignify the tournament with any commentary, but having looked at the squads, if Southern Braves win it, I'll be stunned.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    ESPN pioneered turning a draft into TV people actually watch. They should just follow their format which indeed has lots of graphics.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
    Teams have 100 seconds to make their selections. This is except for Nottinghamshirre Trent Rockets, who get about ten minutes to choose their first pick at each price range (teams select two players at each price) so that they can fit in a load of "analysis"
    Whut?

Why is that then?

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    Watching the draft this evening. They're not making it easy to follow - could do with some on screen graphics to show what players are already in which team. Also the actual announcement of peaks isn't particularly clear - it keeps getting spoken over by the commentators banter.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    The T20 is being retained, and the 50-over tournament (you know, that format what England have just won a World Cup in) is downgraded to essentially a reserve team affair.

The thing is, I'm not some red-ball only purist. I think the domestic T20 tournament is a great and trailblazing thing (I went to a lot of games in its early years, when I had more time to do such things), and the ECB is trashing it. It's a classic example of English cricket not knowing what its good at. (See also the way football attempts to downgrade its strong lower division culture)

Leave a comment:

• Favourite Worst Nightmare
    replied
    My thoughts are that the Franchises should be named after famous white elephants, such as the South London Sinclair C5’s or the Midland Minidiscs.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
    Here's a bit of maths fun. Maths that I'm sure the ECB has done. If The Hundred is going to sell more tickets than the T20 Blast, it will have to attract more than 26,000 spectators to each fixture.
    Isn't T20 being retained alongside this? I'm not quite sure what the 100 is replacing but I'd imagine the 50 overs format being further eroded and county championship games eventually being limited to April and September.

Audience-wise, I think the current cricket customer is being elbowed out completely in favour of some (possibly fictitious) demographic that has never watched Tests or ODIs.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-10-2019, 15:10.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I despise 98% of this. The 2% of the hundred that redeems it marginally in my mind is that it's going to be on free-to-air terrestrial TV. And it's worth almost anything to get cricket back on TV where people can actually watch it. So many sports are in decline because nobody actually watches them because they're held hostage by Sky's money.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy Waterman
    replied
    I showed Mrs Lucy the ECB's mocked up pic of Jofra Archer wearing a green Pom Bears shirt. She said, "that's funny, did you do that?"

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    I genunely thought the "Welsh Fire" Hula Hoops kit was a hoax when I first saw the mock up on Bairstow.

The whole set look like a Kitbliss project.

In fact, they've already done it :

https://twitter.com/KitblissNZ/status/1168434575183233024?s=20

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    This Ali Martin twitter thread is worth a look for the full horror of how this thing's being marketed.

It reads like a combination of a bad astrology column and something David Brent and Gareth Keenan would kick around in his office in an idle hour.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    My lad, who has really thrown himself into cricket this summer, is going to be so confused by this. I can hear him asking 'Where's Essex?' already.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy Waterman
    replied
    Well, this bullshit is under way. The headlines: Jonny Bairstow "plays" for the Cardiff franchise, Joe Root for the Nottingham one, Ben Stokes for the Leeds one. I say "plays" because none of them may end up turning out - if they do it will be for a maximum of three games - and they'll all get paid 35 grand out of ECB reserves regardless.

Also, all the teams are being sponsored by packets of crisps.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...undred-cricket

Leave a comment:

• Lucy Waterman
    replied
    Here's a bit of maths fun. Maths that I'm sure the ECB has done. If The Hundred is going to sell more tickets than the T20 Blast, it will have to attract more than 26,000 spectators to each fixture.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    10 ball overs but the bowler can be switched after 5 balls. Will they actually call them 'overs' though?
    "Bowler"?

"Pitcher", surely?

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    10 ball overs but the bowler can be switched after 5 balls. Will they actually call them 'overs' though?

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    It seems Wales isn't even allowed to have its name in a franchise for this abomination, let alone its own national side ;

The Hundred: Cardiff franchise could be 'Western Fire'
    But Welsh Fire does bring back memories of holiday cottages, doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    It seems Wales isn't even allowed to have its name in a franchise for this abomination, let alone its own national side ;

The Hundred: Cardiff franchise could be 'Western Fire'

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    Oval Greats seems to have been the equitable solution by which nobody quite got what they wanted.

I'd have gone with London X, just to enable any reports of disappointing ticket sales to appear beneath the headline London X: No Sell Out.

http://www.wisden.com/stories/news-s...al-oval-greats

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Oval Fruits would be better. With the youth team Oval Teens...

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Have we covered the fact that the "Surrey" side in this godforsaken farce will be called, and I kid you not, Oval Greats?

Hellfire, that is a pile of shit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X