No announcement yet.

It just isn't cricket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait for the badges to come out and let Cameron Carter loose on them.

Comment

They should do what minor league baseball teams do. Put out a list of six name options that nobody likes. Then hire a consultant to come up with some better ideas and let the fans vote.

Comment

Trent Chihuahuas
        Birmingham Rumbleponies
        Manchester Trash Pandas
        London Blue Wahoos
        Wales Lugnuts
        Southern Railriders

It would make as much sense as the current selection.

Comment

Vauxhall Kebabs

Comment

They're still better than the IPL names (Knight Riders, Royal Challengers and Super Kings being the worst) and that's somehow survived.

Comment

The website Southernbrave.com and Twitter account @southernbrave have already been taken. They belong to a Texas based country band called Southern Brave.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                Any chance of a Belfast franchise? The Stormont Stasis would be good
                There is a Belfast franchise in the Euro T20 Slam, which is due to hold it's first edition in August/ September. The six teams have fairly dull names - Amsterdam Kings, Belfast Titans, Dublin Chiefs, Edinburgh Rocks, Glasgow Giants, Rotterdam Rhinos.

There won't be any games in Belfast - the first ten games all take place in Amstelveen, the next ten in Edinburgh and the last ten at Malahide, where the knockout stages will also be held.

Comment

Cheers Zeb. Suppose Belfast could have used Cranes/ Wardrobes/ Lilliputians are our locally marketable name

Comment

I won’t be watching, but if there has to be a racist name, why do “we” have to have it?

Comment

E10's suggestion of "Metropolitan Elite" for the name of the Surrey franchise is too brilliant for words.

Comment

Indeed, though I was also quite taken with the "London Prices".

Comment

Have we covered the fact that the "Surrey" side in this godforsaken farce will be called, and I kid you not, Oval Greats?

Hellfire, that is a pile of shit.

Comment

Oval Fruits would be better. With the youth team Oval Teens...

Comment

Oval Greats seems to have been the equitable solution by which nobody quite got what they wanted.

I'd have gone with London X, just to enable any reports of disappointing ticket sales to appear beneath the headline London X: No Sell Out.

http://www.wisden.com/stories/news-s...al-oval-greats

Comment

It seems Wales isn't even allowed to have its name in a franchise for this abomination, let alone its own national side ;

The Hundred: Cardiff franchise could be 'Western Fire'

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                  It seems Wales isn't even allowed to have its name in a franchise for this abomination, let alone its own national side ;

The Hundred: Cardiff franchise could be 'Western Fire'
                                  But Welsh Fire does bring back memories of holiday cottages, doesn't it?

Comment

10 ball overs but the bowler can be switched after 5 balls. Will they actually call them 'overs' though?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      10 ball overs but the bowler can be switched after 5 balls. Will they actually call them 'overs' though?
                                      "Bowler"?

"Pitcher", surely?

Comment

Here's a bit of maths fun. Maths that I'm sure the ECB has done. If The Hundred is going to sell more tickets than the T20 Blast, it will have to attract more than 26,000 spectators to each fixture.

Comment

Well, this bullshit is under way. The headlines: Jonny Bairstow "plays" for the Cardiff franchise, Joe Root for the Nottingham one, Ben Stokes for the Leeds one. I say "plays" because none of them may end up turning out - if they do it will be for a maximum of three games - and they'll all get paid 35 grand out of ECB reserves regardless.

Also, all the teams are being sponsored by packets of crisps.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...undred-cricket

Comment

My lad, who has really thrown himself into cricket this summer, is going to be so confused by this. I can hear him asking 'Where's Essex?' already.

Comment

This Ali Martin twitter thread is worth a look for the full horror of how this thing's being marketed.

It reads like a combination of a bad astrology column and something David Brent and Gareth Keenan would kick around in his office in an idle hour.

Comment

I genunely thought the "Welsh Fire" Hula Hoops kit was a hoax when I first saw the mock up on Bairstow.

The whole set look like a Kitbliss project.

In fact, they've already done it :

https://twitter.com/KitblissNZ/status/1168434575183233024?s=20

Comment

I showed Mrs Lucy the ECB's mocked up pic of Jofra Archer wearing a green Pom Bears shirt. She said, "that's funny, did you do that?"

Comment

I despise 98% of this. The 2% of the hundred that redeems it marginally in my mind is that it's going to be on free-to-air terrestrial TV. And it's worth almost anything to get cricket back on TV where people can actually watch it. So many sports are in decline because nobody actually watches them because they're held hostage by Sky's money.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X