• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It just isn't cricket

The rules for The Hundred are announced

Just not feeling it at all.

Comment

Each batsman will face a maximum of three deliveries, and will be out if they do not hit one and gain a run from it. An "innings" will be over once three batsmen have been dismissed either through failure to hit, being caught from a hit, or being run out, and ... oh hang on someone's done this?
      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 21-02-2019, 20:02.

Comment

If the ball goes over the neighbour's fence, it will be counted as "six and out"

Comment

100 balls is just so different from 120 balls. A radical change!

Comment

I like the suggestion that the ECB is going to punish Surrey for voting No by denying the Oval a franchise, therefore ensuring a lesser take for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              I like the suggestion that the ECB is going to punish Surrey for voting No by denying the Oval a franchise, therefore ensuring a lesser take for everyone.
              It would be so ECB to further condemn cricket to obscurity in London.

I honestly forget the sport exists here. I live in the largest BAME borough in the UK*. Not good.

*as Barney Ronay has discussed, shoving Lewisham cricket into Kent’s realm is a major dereliction of duty by the ECB.

Comment

An example of that, Flynnie, is that when Nike released that brilliantly done "Nothing Beats A Londoner" video, there was no goddamn cricket (and very few Asians) in it all.

Rogin – haha!

Comment

What is it about multiples of six that so deter and confuse potential cricket fans? Multiples of five will Instantly Transform its Appeal

Comment

120 is also a multiple of five.

But yes, this is just... a bit weird. At 120 balls you're already not really looking at a contest between bat and ball - it's a contest between one team's bats and the other's bats. This is going to be like that but more so.

Comment

The names will help

Comment

Who else is there?

Comment

The franchises to be based at Old Trafford and the Oval, for which names have yet to be finalised.

Comment

Is there anyone, aside from the ECB themselves, who has a positive thing to say about this?

Comment

Not that I have seen

Then again, the ECB has repeatedly said that they really don't care what people who like cricket think.

It is sort of their version of E-sports.

Comment

Any chance of a Belfast franchise? The Stormont Stasis would be good

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  The franchises to be based at Old Trafford and the Oval, for which names have yet to be finalised.
                                  Guess: Lancashire Hotshots, London Lions

Comment

Is it just me or are those team names upthread pisspoor even by the usual standards of these things? London Spirit sounds like a perfume, Welsh Fire is good, Southern Brave just sounds odd, Birmingham Phoenix (why?) & Leeds Superchargers (why again and what's a supercharger?) Trent Rockets is bang on though, given Nottingham's important place in the story of the UK's space industry.
                                    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 29-05-2019, 15:59.

Comment

Very much so.

As I noted on the other thread, the World League of American Football would be ashamed of them.

Comment

A supercharger yesterday:

Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 29-05-2019, 16:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                          Welsh Fire is good...
                                          I'd take issue with that, it's pisspoor even if it's better than some of the others. Being "Welsh" not "Wales" is a factor in that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post

And the Leeds/Yorkshire connection?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

I'd take issue with that, it's pisspoor even if it's better than some of the others. Being "Welsh" not "Wales" is a factor in that too.

It's the tallest dwarf, I'll grant you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                And the Leeds/Yorkshire connection?
                                                Somebody from Leeds once saw one?

Comment

Good enough.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X