X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a home run champion as your closer is the new market inefficiency

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Bob Uecker made a nice career on this premise.
      Uecker can call a ballgame as well as anybody, check him out on a Brewers game sometime (he ain't getting any younger). He just also happens to be really funny.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        Using a home run champion as your closer is the new market inefficiency
        Indeed. He would have set the NYPL record if the Cardinals hadn't promoted him mid-season.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

Uecker can call a ballgame as well as anybody, check him out on a Brewers game sometime (he ain't getting any younger). He just also happens to be really funny.
          Sure. The point is that he can liven up any game.

Same with Vin Scully. I'd watch/listen to any game he was doing just because he was doing it and he wasn't especially funny.

Our local guy, Steve Jones, who does all the sports around here, can make a mid-season Monday evening New York-Penn League game witnessed by 500 people sound like the World Series.

Comment

Hilarious baseball card story.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...card-ever-made

Comment

That card is legendary among collectors

Comment

What are y'all thinking about the playoffs? Whose going to win the AL and NL Central and which teams are going to win the wild card spots?

I'm shocked that the Cardinals are still in the mix given the lack of talent on that team. And I'm also shocked that the Brewers have lost any sense of the cycles of winning and losing that applies to every team except the Red Sox and Yankees. They opted to hold on to prospects instead of chasing down starting pitching during the off-season and the trade deadline.

MLB Network showing split screen: Blue Jays-Dodgers and Yankees-As. A good moment for me except that Yankees are losing and Jansen just gave up a home run. I'm stating the obvious, but Jansen is either going to turn it on during the playoffs or he is going to be the goat.
                Last edited by danielmak; 22-08-2019, 04:50.

Comment

NL Central is anybody's guess at this rate.

Comment

Sometimes baseball is a little bit of a self parody. Stat in the game just now: "Most combined letters in last names of opposing starting RF".

Comment

Not us.

Comment

So what's the deal with the uniforms this time?

Comment

"Players' Weekend", the one with the silly nicknames.

Our lot were supposed to have all white caps too (I really don't want to know if this was the Ricketts' idea), but have at least "settled" for batting helmets.

Comment

These uniforms are horrible. Why not go with retro uniforms. And while I think the nicknames idea is stupid, the white uniforms with white lettering defeats the purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                              These uniforms are horrible. Why not go with retro uniforms. And while I think the nicknames idea is stupid, the white uniforms with white lettering defeats the purpose.
                              If I bought tickets to see Dodgers hosting the Yankees, I'd be really pissed off to find out that they were doing this players uniform weekend nonsense instead of seeing the teams wearing their classic uniforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

If I bought tickets to see Dodgers hosting the Yankees, I'd be really pissed off to find out that they were doing this players uniform weekend nonsense instead of seeing the teams wearing their classic uniforms.
                                I don't think I ever saw a score for Friday's game. I watched a little of the game yesterday but woke up late and was trying to avoid spoilers (which feature regularly on the Fox news crawl) for Liverpool-Arsenal. I hope to watch tonight's game. Saturday's game seemed to be a thriller at the end. So, it probably sucked to deal with these uniforms but I'd rather see crap uniforms and an exciting game than a blow-out and the regular uniforms. Of course, classic uniforms and a classic game would be the best combo.
                                Last edited by danielmak; 26-08-2019, 06:08.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ByJamesWagner/status/1165700366706470912

Comment

Well that was a disastrous weekend.

Comment

Let us never speak of it again

https://twitter.com/BSmile/status/1165952532738400261

Comment

I wonder how many people watched that game on TV. How would anyone know. Were there ratings back then?

I like the idea of people going to a store to watch the game. And that store was probably on a downtown street. And the people in that store probably wore suits.

Comment

No ratings, though I've seen the audience estimated at 3,000 (less than a tenth of those present at Ebbets Field)

There were about 400 sets in the New York metropolitan area, though there were a couple at the World's Fair, which would have drawn crowds.

Comment

Every game is free on MLB At Bat app tonight (Tuesday) except games that would be blacked out.

Comment

Thank Yu Very Much

We needed that

Comment

Go to southeast, shut out the Nats.

Comment

Is this a game or a home run derby?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                    Is this a game or a home run derby?
                                                    A few days later and the same question applies to Rockies-Dodgers. Someone who just looks at the box score on Tuesday is going to think there was a mistake listing the home team and this should be listed as being played in Denver. Pitching has been pisspoor and the hitters are launching. I'd be surprised if there has been a scoreless inning. Adding in some delay for an umpire injury, this is going to be a marathon game. I'll check out in a little bit and switch to football.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X