No announcement yet.

MLB 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see. I should let my nephew know about that. Maybe he could get some high school research papers out of it.

Comment

More Minor League madness, this time from California where the Lake Elsinore Storm were one out away from defeat then scored ten runs to take it to extra innings where they got the winning run.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
        Way back when I was a kid and didn't really have any allegiance to any team, Will Clark was my favorite player. I have no idea why I settled on him, but I did. I also was a big fan of Matt Williams and was going to go see the Giants play the Dodgers, but didn't get to go to the game because of the strike.
        My aunt got Stadium Club tickets for a Mets game at Shea in mid-August 1994, after the strike date. I remember being progressively less excited in the run up since it was obvious the strike was going to happen. My father was going back to school then so we used to go back to New England for pretty long stretches of the summer - I think we went for over a month that year - and he consciously packed in the visits to Fenway Park before August 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
          More Minor League madness, this time from California where the Lake Elsinore Storm were one out away from defeat then scored ten runs to take it to extra innings where they got the winning run.

It's only a week on from AAA El Paso knocking in ten runs in the bottom of the ninth to get a walk off win. Not so tricky for them as they only needed eight and had one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

I’ve wondered how often that has ever happened.

Comment

I've been traveling so haven't had a chance to check in, but thanks for that info. UA. I'll see if someone I know subs to that index. As a general FYI I would not consider a high scoring game a blowout but am thinking about something like 7-1. Maybe more 6 runs or more for the winning team. Just looking at Wednesday's scores, there were Dodgers (9) - Marlins (1), Nats (17) - Reds (7), Philies (11) - Cubs (1), and Cardinals (6) - Royals (0). So, 4/15. Then there was a couple games I'd need to investigate the box score to see what happened: Red Sox (5) - Cleveland (1) and White Sox (13) - Astros (9). That is, maybe the Indians scored late or Houston came into the game after the White Sox pitchers started pitching to the scoreboard. And as I type this the Yankees are getting clobbered by Cleveland and the Dodgers lost in Miami by 6 runs.

Comment

I share your anecdotal sense and believe that it at least in part reflects teams giving up on games in a way that wasn't the case decades ago, as also reflected in the relative commonality of position players pitching now.

And to add to your data set, after having been trounced by the Phillies 11-1 last night, the Cubs are 5-0 up after six innings.

Comment

Well, that didn't end a blowout.

Mercy

Darvish should sue the bullpen

Comment

This is almost good enough for the WTF thread.

Opposing players have three hour anthem standoff that lasts duration of the game.

Batavia Muckdogs first baseman Harrison Dinicola outlasted West Virginia Black Bears catcher Ryan Haug in a national anthem standoff that outlasted the game Wednesday night.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Mercy

The Cubs bullpen includes Rowan Wick, who holds the State College Spikes single-season home run record. He was an outfielder with a huge arm and a lot of power, but it turned out that he couldn't hit pitching above the single A level, so the Cardinals turned him into a pitcher. Now he's with the Cubs.

Comment

He couldn't have hit that ball as hard as Harper did

Comment

Probably not. But not many players ever could. Harper's swing could accurately be described as "violent."

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Mercy

Wow, you're really not kidding. Sheesh.

Comment

This tribute to the 50th anniversary of the 69 collapse has gotten completely out of hand.

Comment

I've never heard of Bill Walton, but he was some enthusiastic co-commentator last night.

'What's the record for strike outs in a (single) innings?' and on being a catcher 'I prefer getting high to getting low' being two highlights.

Comment

For fuck's sake.

Comment

In case you haven’t already looked it up, Bill Walton is a basketball legend.

Comment

Comment

And a Grateful Dead legend. I think much of my family has met him due to running into the 7 foot tall redhead at shows. He’s kinda hard to miss and you know it’s him when you see him.

He was an outrageously good basketball player, has to be the best athlete who was/is a hippie by a country mile. He followed Kareem at UCLA and was even better than Kareem. His feet failed him - he holds the NBA record for games missed by a player - but he is almost universally considered a Top 5 player ever when healthy. He missed half a season once and still won the MVP, that’s how good he and the Blazers were the other half of that season. Red Auerbach coaxed 80 games out of him in 1986, the first year he’d been healthy in almost a decade, and he won the Sixth Man Award going away.

His game had no weaknesses. Shooting? Impeccable, especially within 10 feet of the basket. Passing? The best big man ever at it. He and Bird used to be good for at least one jaw-dropping pass each between the two every night according to Bob Ryan. Physicality? He almost didn’t need to be physical, but if he had to he could kick your ass. Rebounds? Dominated the boards. Shot blocking? You couldn’t get around him. Running the court? If the feet were working, as good as any big ever. Incredible vision and intelligence. If you were willing to acknowledge his intelligence and differences in opinions and lifestyle off the court, you could win big with him. Wooden went 86-4 with him, Ramsay won a title in Portland with him and not a lot else, the 86 Celtics went 67-15, 40-1 at the Garden, and cruised to the title with him coming off the bench.

Just a sui generis player on and off the court.
                                        Last edited by Flynnie; 17-08-2019, 17:57.

Comment

The greatest college basketball player of all time.

It says something that my Twitter timeline last night was mostly all people talking about Walton calling the game. I haven't seen that many people all focused on a single regular season baseball game. I'm sure there are people outraged and think that he made a mockery of the game and how dare ESPN not treat a mid-August game between the Angels and the White Sox with the reverence it deserves, but good god regular season baseball could use more entertainment like that from time to time.

Comment

It says something that my Twitter timeline last night was mostly all people talking about Walton calling the game. I haven't seen that many people all focused on a single regular season baseball game. I'm sure there are people outraged and think that he made a mockery of the game and how dare ESPN not treat a mid-August game between the Angels and the White Sox with the reverence it deserves, but good god regular season baseball could use more entertainment like that from time to time.
                                            It’s one of those things that baseball usually does when it’s struggling for appeal, most of the most memorable promotions were during those periods in the game’s history, but who hates Bill Walton? And like you said, it livens up a pretty meaningless August game between two clubs going nowhere.

Comment

Can't believe Lester got out of that.

Comment

Too early for us to blow it

Comment

Bob Uecker made a nice career on this premise.

Comment

It's a miracle.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X