No announcement yet.

MLB 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far is this series with the Brewers, the Cubs have gotten their lead off batter on base thirteen times.

They have had yet to score in any of those innings.

Comment

Fourteen times

Comment

There is some excessive pinkness on display at this game the Padres are losing to the Rockies. The Padres at least aren't wearing their usual terribly Sunday Camo, but replacing that with garish pink bats - presumably something to do with breast cancer - is not easy on the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          There is some excessive pinkness on display at this game the Padres are losing to the Rockies. The Padres at least aren't wearing their usual terribly Sunday Camo, but replacing that with garish pink bats - presumably something to do with breast cancer - is not easy on the eye.
          It was mother's day, wasn't it? Everything pink for moms. They also rebranded (at least on social media) as the Madres for the day. I really, really do not know what to think about that.

They seem to be bringing in some really young kids as well. (Well, young for MLB)

Comment

Yes, this is now an annual thing, along with the Father's Day light blue, the military fapfest that is Armed Forces Day and the mandatory flag-waving on Memorial Day and the Fourth of July. It's awful, especially as the designs are unspeakably bad.

It is especially annoying for more casual fans who only watch games on weekends, as there are now these five, plus the "Player's Weekend" nonsense later in the season.

The Padres are fun to watch, which hasn't been the case for many seasons.

Comment

I totally forgot that it was mothers day and that might explain hot-pink bats. That other gear is hideous, too. Particularly the Fathers Day, but it feels rude to single out any one of those shockers.

The Padres were kind of fun to watch last year, too, but they weren't actually good. This year is very different to any I've seen before. I'm actually home alone most of this week so might try and sneak off to one of the games against the Pirates.

Comment

I have no stats to back this up but it seems to me that teams are having an extremely hard time holding a lead in extra innings. Basically the best way to get these marathons to end is to have the road team score a run (or more) in the top of the inning and then the home team will follow with a win. I don't know where one would actually find a stat for blown leads in extra innings but it seems like every week on the late night MLB Network Highlights show, someone blows the lead. Tonight it was the As.

Comment

Cubs v Cardinals in London next year.

Comment

Fuck yeah.

Comment

My wife's cousin got called up by the Brewers, and he's just hit his first homer:

[URL]https://twitter.com/sn_mlb/status/1130186458973835264[/URL]

Comment

He's their best prospect and to my knowledge the first Chinese/Japanese player to make MLB.

Comment

Knew it was just a matter of time before he was called up, unfortunately the Brewers aren’t coming out to play the Dodgers or Angels the rest of the season.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Although Milwaukee is a short drive from Chicago, I haven't carved out time to get to a game there. It looks like a really nice stadium. Maybe worth a trip, Inca.

Comment

This is very good

[URL]https://twitter.com/benjstrauss/status/1130831511429812224?s=21[/URL]

Comment

John Smoltz is a bit of a broken record about velocity but I tend to agree with his underlying concern: the move in baseball now is just burn through these guys. Don't worry if they don't know how to pitch (only know how to throw) and understand that there's another 100 mph guy waiting in the minors. He's right that this should be a concern.

In other news, I forgot to come around to post the super shocking IL information: AJ Pollock is out. Can you believe it? Some folks will say that an infection in the elbow is a fluke, which it is. But the critics say that about all of his injuries. At some point, you are injury prone. I think the most surprising signings in the off-season were all signings that did not fit: Lamanhu, Lowry, and Pollock. And none of those players have added much (if anything) to their respective teams.
                                  Last edited by danielmak; 22-05-2019, 00:09.

Comment

They don’t need to just guess what the maximum velocity will be. I recently saw a study in that and the science suggests human tendons could not withstand forces beyond what it takes to throw about 105.

https://youtu.be/8udNOTFiqUs
                                    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 22-05-2019, 01:49.

Comment

2 separate Yankees have each 8 home runs off of us already.

It's MAY.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                                        2 separate Yankees have each 8 home runs off of us already.

It's MAY.

It's kind of interesting to listen to the analysts on MLB Network talk about run scoring. They seem to catch themselves a lot when they say "run scoring is down" and then come back with action is down. I have to assume that run scoring is up but a lot of that is from home runs. The three true outcomes (HR, strikeout, walk) are all up. So, I'm curious about moving the mound back and other moves to help the hitter. If anything, I think the shift will help hitters who will learn to hit line drives the other way.

In terms of specific players (in response to Jefe's post), Yelich and Bellinger seem to be on a pace to catch Marris. And Bellinger is over .400. I can' see that lasting but maybe we'll have a non-steroid home run chase take shape as the summer gets going.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

It's kind of interesting to listen to the analysts on MLB Network talk about run scoring. They seem to catch themselves a lot when they say "run scoring is down" and then come back with action is down. I have to assume that run scoring is up but a lot of that is from home runs. The three true outcomes (HR, strikeout, walk) are all up. So, I'm curious about moving the mound back and other moves to help the hitter. If anything, I think the shift will help hitters who will learn to hit line drives the other way.

In terms of specific players (in response to Jefe's post), Yelich and Bellinger seem to be on a pace to catch Marris. And Bellinger is over .400. I can' see that lasting but maybe we'll have a non-steroid home run chase take shape as the summer gets going.
                                            Strike outs are fascist.

Moving the rubber back might help, or not. And it won’t stop pitchers from burning out their arms. The three-batter minimum for pitchers could help.

Maybe change the ball. Lower the seams. Use synthetic covers to save cows.

Home runs are also fascist.

I would also love to see every stadium raise their fence by two to four feet or move them back a few feet. Fewer home runs, more doubles and triples. More real action.
                                            Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 23-05-2019, 00:13.

Comment

There was discussion on MLB Now on Tuesday about home runs being up dramatically in the minor leagues. Eric Byrnes noted that they are using major league baseballs this season. I couldn't tell if he was joking or serious. If he's serious, the ball is juiced.

Oh, and to build off UA's post about the Marlins, I also heard last night on the Cubs TV broadcast that the Marlins and Rays combined only finish at 17th highest attendance. That's combined.

Comment

It’s only May. I wouldn’t assume anything based on the number of home runs so far.

Comment

Triple Plays are fun

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1131363240146079745

They came very close to screwing up an absolutely ideal situation with mediocre execution.

Comment

Yikes. Didn't realise it was an early game today, just tuned in. Wish I hadn't.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X