No announcement yet.

MLB 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra innings in Tokyo for Ichiro's last game, and there was a long announcement at the top of the 10th explaining to everyone that they play to a result and will not go home with a tie after 12 innings (as is the rule in NPB).

Comment

Sayanora, Ichiro-san.

Comment

https://twitter.com/TheLydiaCruz/status/1108710377838120960

Comment

It's very dusty in the room I'm watching this in

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1108716757789958144/video/1

Comment

Nice product placement for Eneos there.

Comment

I have to say that when Ichiro first came to MLB I was not a fan. The steady stream of slap singles seemed weak. But over the years, as strikeouts and home run boppers became more of the norm, I developed a much greater appreciation for Ichiro's talent. If I was a GM, I would seek to compile a team of hitters: a blend of guys who could do what Ichiro did, who were doubles machines, and who could bop (but with average)--I think Judge is going to fit into this last mold. A team of sub .300 hitters would drive me nuts. I know that Billy Beane said last year that the home run is by far the most efficient form of run production but balls in play are not only a more interesting spectacle but also great for disrupting a pitcher's routine (men on base) and keeping a defense on edge.

Comment

Isn't that pretty much the definition of Houston? Or am I just thinking that because Altuve is so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                  Isn't that pretty much the definition of Houston? Or am I just thinking that because Altuve is so good?
                  Altuve is clearly a unique player in this hitting environment. I think the Astros, Red Sox, and Cubs all have the potential to hit for average. Of course, there are now more advanced stats but it seems that the stats that excite people most (e.g., OPS+) are focused on power. And those more advanced stats will certainly highlight that the Astros and Red Sox are deserving of their accolades (and wins).
                  Last edited by danielmak; 23-03-2019, 21:57.

Comment

Ichiro was overrated, but I think as time has settled it's become clear the MGLs* of the world, the statheads who were adamant Ichiro was basically a slightly above-average player, were badly overegging the pudding. They were suffering from Wade Boggs Syndrome as bad as any crusty old sportswriter who can't see what a player can do, rather what he can't. It's impossible to suck when you steal bases pretty well, play pretty good defense even at a corner, and get 200 hits a year like clockwork, no matter how little you walk or how few dingers you hit.

That said, boy did Ichiro have a long decline phase. He hasn't really been a good player since 2010. The last 845 hits have been pure stat padding the likes we haven't seen since Peter Edward Rose.

* Ursus might be the only one who knows who I mean, but MGL (Mitchel G. Lichtman, who created UZR, the grandaddy of all play-by-play defensive stats) was one of the denizens of BaseballThinkFactory who was adamant Ichiro sucked. And MGL was abrasive as hell about anything he believed in.

Comment

He still is.

Comment

I won't even be able to watch the Dodgers on opening day.

[URL]https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1110942420655468544[/URL]

Comment

The Padres have put their 20 year old Top Prospect Fernando Tatis on the roster for tomorrow. This is apparently a Really Big Deal, but I don't really know why having a young player is such a shocker - if they're meant to be good, wouldn't you play them?

Comment

Because by warehousing him in the minors for several weeks, you gain an additional year of "team control" before he becomes a free agent.

This is what people mean when they talk about "service time manipulation", which has become endemic.

BTW, this guy is Fernando Tatis Jr. Some of us recall his father quite well.

Comment

I think Guerrero Jr is being held back at Toronto for this reason?

Comment

Correct

Comment

Not sure I like Happ being shipped out to the minors. Especially if they're keeping Russell around.

Comment

You aren't alone in that.

Scoring 40 runs in two consecutive Spring Training games was pretty wild.

Comment

Colorado must open on the East Coast, because they train in Arizona yet were playing the Twins in Florida yesterday. Never seen that before.

Comment

I think Guerrero Jr is being held back at Toronto for this reason?
                                        Yeah, and he's already hurt. FFS.

Comment

I read on the net that he is 6' 1, and weighs 250lbs, which seems to be Prince Fielder-esque.

Comment

Today's the day!

Comment

It certainly is. And the Yankees game (home to the O's) is on at 10am my time, so it will finish before my bedtime. Yay, me. (If I can just wrest the remotes away from Jerry sodding Springer, and the tennis)

Any channel in the UK showing any of the games?

Comment

I read on the net that he is 6' 1, and weighs 250lbs, which seems to be Prince Fielder-esque.
                                                The Jays had a pretty reasonable case to hold him back last year because his 3rd base fielding is atrocious, he has a good arm but triple clutches and his footwork is awful.

In a weird way, their case is less good this year because it's just obvious now that he is a DH and nothing more, and his hitting skills have been MLB-ready for a year now.

Comment

Boring Boring Baltimore.

Comment

Bartolo Colon is still nowhere on opening day. Nor Jose Bautista.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X