No announcement yet.

MLB 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He’s got a better shot than people think at 300 wins. 225 and he’s 36 and looks awesome.

Comment

Kershaw getting roughed up. I get that the move was to protect him against a road start, where his ERA has been pitiful in the playoffs. But Riyu could have possibly helped kill this series given hius sub 2 (?) home ERA.

I've posted this before, but the Yankees made such a huge mistake trading for Stanton. His MVP season was never going to be topped. I know he's coming off a season-long injury but he is such a liability in the field. I think the Yankees will win this series against the Twins with little trouble in terms of games (maybe win it in 4) even if each game is a slugfest, but Stanton's lack of quality in the field will be a problem against Houston and beyond if the Yankees can beat Houston (which I don't think will happen).

Comment

The Yankees have beaten the Twins in eleven straight postseason games, going back to 2004

Meanwhile, in Japan

[URL="https://twitter.com/npb_reddit/status/1180419722648551424?s=21"]https://twitter.com/npb_reddit/status/1180419722648551424[/URL]

Hanshin came from six runs down, the largest comeback in NPB playoff history.

Comment

All four games last night went the way I didn’t want them to. I want it to be Rays-Twins, Cards-Dodgers. But I fear it will be the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
            All four games last night went the way I didn’t want them to. I want it to be Rays-Twins, Cards-Dodgers. But I fear it will be the opposite.
            I obviously have a horse in the race with Dodgers-Nats but objectively, the Nats made a big mistake using Mad Max last night. I assume it was his throw day so they save that throwing for the 8th inning. And from a results perspective, his dominance in that inning helped. But I think they wasted bullets. He could have started game 3 and they would have been in a much better position than going with Sanchez (assuming Sanchez will be facing Riyu). I get it, short series, kill off the game, but that's not a move I would have made (esp. since there was still the 9th and that 9th became very, very rocky for the Nats). I was not a fan of the Yankees signing Lamahieu or the Dodgers signing Pollack. I didn't think either signing was necessary. Boy was I wrong about Lamahieu, but Pollack has continued with his injuries and his wild swing at a ball when the Nats closer was looking shaky could have been the difference between a Dodgers win with Riyu going in game 3 and a tied series.

Comment

[URL="https://twitter.com/slangsonsports/status/1180644874137276416?s=21"]https://twitter.com/slangsonsports/status/1180644874137276416[/URL]

12 of the 15 have been to the Yankees

Comment

One of my students asked who my favorite player was, and all I could remember is Aaron Judge as it's been a few years, and she drew a baseball card of him....then I remembered tonight it was actually Didi G.

Awesome for the Hanshin, I am on two Fabecook pages for them, and saw that. Hopefully they can pull a 3rd place run that Lotte did a few years back (uh, let me check that it was a few years and not a decade.)

Comment

(yep- 9 years ago. 2010. Right after Bobby V got ish-canned.)

Comment

27th straight game in which the Astros have homered

Comment

We have seen some classic MLB playoff games already: Brewers-Nats, even the Nats-Dodgers last night, and then tonight Cole strikes out 15 and yet the Rays have been in it these last two innings. I can't say that I'm excited by these last two innings perhaps taking as long as teh first 7 innings but this has been a thriller.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                        He’s got a better shot than people think at 300 wins. 225 and he’s 36 and looks awesome.
                        This is an intriguing observation.

It has been generally accepted that we won't see another 300 game winner for at least the last decade, but Verlander has a genuine shot if he can hold up for another four seasons. Playing for a team of the Astros' quality certainly doesn't hurt.

Comment

Braves-Cardinals pitching duel for 8 innings and then the Cards' pen (or really just Martinez) melts down.

Meanwhile, Bellinger returns to his playoff ways, swinging at everything and the Dodgers continue to start Pollock even though he's also been useless. Bellinger and Pollock let Sanchez off the hook and now he things he's Cy Young.

Comment

Another classic danielmak prediction

This has been a rather sloppy game of baseball

Comment

Hanshin pull it off, winning 2-1 in the rain in Yokohama.

The final stages of the two Climax Series will see the Tigers play their eternal rivals the Yomiuri Giants, while the Fukoka Softbank Hawks face the Seibu Lions. As regular season league champions, the Giants and Lions begin the best of seven series with an automatic one game advantage (they also get to play the entire series at home).

Comment

Given the very significant advantages the Japanese system gives to teams that win the regular season pennants, it isn't surprising that only two non-pennant winners have gone on to win the Japan Series this decade (Lotte in 2010 and SoftBank last season).

Comment

Rays hitting bombs . . .

Comment

I think the Rays can win this game.

Comment

Pollock is 0-12 with 10 strikeouts. He swings at sliders that seem closer to the dugout than the plate. I would understand Roberts continuing to go to Pollock if there was nobody else, but the outfield is loaded with options. It's time to go with Hernandez and bench this guy. The only bright side is that he was pinch hitting tonight and is done for the day.

Meanwhile, we have a game that is yesterday's game on its head: Nats rack up runs against the Dodgers' pen and that is about that unless the Dodgers have a miracle in them or Mad Max melts down.

Thriller to end the Braves-Cardinals as well. The only plus side for me is that that series is going to 5. If the Dodgers can win this series, I'd prefer to play the Cardinals.

Comment

Bases loaded. No outs. And the Twins can't score. Snakebit.

Comment

Yankees keep mashing.

I don't know if there is a different production approach adopted by the networks this year or if something has changed in the stadia but it seems like every time the road team rallies or scores, the stadia are super quiet. I noticed this when the Rays rallied in Houston during the Cole start and ever since then. When Mabin just hit the home run, the same thing. Very, very quiet. I get that home fans are bummed out but my experiences in ball parks are fans either complaining, trying to urge on the home team, or screaming at the visiting team. Even now the fans are making some noise in Minnesota but not after the Mabin home run. It's a weird production move if this is happening among TV crews.

Comment

Two completely unrelated items:

First, I think this Astros-Rays game is fascinating because it's a traditional starter who is a stud v. a collection of pen men (BTW there's a book called Pen Men that's really interesting if you are interested in the eccentricities of historical relievers).

Second, I am not a fan at all of the bullpens along the sidelines. I prefer actual pens.

Comment

Are they really pens if none of the four walls are made of chain link or chicken wire?

Comment

Have Fox turned the crowd mikes at the Trop WAY UP?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  Are they really pens if none of the four walls are made of chain link or chicken wire?
                                                  Or if the pitchers are protected from away fans dumping beer into the pen.

I went to the Trop a few times when I lived in Tampa; it was very, very sterile. But these were the days when they were finishing in last place. There was a lot of echo and not much noise in the space.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    Have Fox turned the crowd mikes at the Trop WAY UP?
                                                    It is sold out.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X