No announcement yet.

MLB 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Astros pitcher threw a no-hitter. Apparently there was a walk involved though. What do the purists think of that? Are there no-walk no-hitters as well?

Comment

Isn't a no hitter with no walks a "perfect game"?

Comment

It's the ball, stupid

[URL="https://twitter.com/minorsteamnames/status/1168660344618676225?s=21"]https://twitter.com/minorsteamnames/status/1168660344618676225[/URL]

Comment

A perfect game requires that no batters reach base, so not just no walks, but no batters reaching base on an error, no batters hit by a pitch or reaching on catcher's interference, etc. They are much rarer than standard no-hitters (there have now been over 300 no-hitters in MLB, but only 23 perfect games).

Verlander's no-hitter was still very impressive, as it was his third (only six people have that many and only two have more), he struck out 14, while only issuing a single walk in the first inning and because he was the first MLB pitcher to ever no-hit the same team (Blue Jays) in their home park with two different team (he also did it with Detroit).
          Last edited by ursus arctos; 03-09-2019, 12:24.

Comment

Perfect games are easy to summarise. 27 men up, 27 men out.

The most famous perfect game is 9 October, 1956. Game 5 of the World Series between the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yankees. Don Larsen, a career 81-91 pitcher and longtime lush who once went 3-21 in a season, threw 97 immortal pitches. As Joe Trimble of the New York Daily News put it, "The unperfect man pitched a perfect game."

Comment

I don’t think it’s just the ball.

But the ball appears to be more aerodynamic somehow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ay-how-or-why/
              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 04-09-2019, 03:06.

Comment

Every team that is on the bubble will have a lot of "ifs" attached to their season, but if the Mets bullpen had pitched according to their historical numbers, I'd have to think that they would be battling the Braves. But per my opening sentence, I'm sure the Nats could make the same claim.

Comment

Stat of the night for me from MLB Tonight: Pilar hit his 20th home run for the Giants. He is the first Giant to hit 20 home runs since Crawford hit 21 in 2015. In this run scoring environment to have so few home runs is insane. I know they play in a pitcher's ballpark and that the NL west (esp. Dodger Stadium and PETCO) has a lot of pitcher-friendly parks, but that's crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                    Stat of the night for me from MLB Tonight: Pilar hit his 20th home run for the Giants. He is the first Giant to hit 20 home runs since Crawford hit 21 in 2015. In this run scoring environment to have so few home runs is insane. I know they play in a pitcher's ballpark and that the NL west (esp. Dodger Stadium and PETCO) has a lot of pitcher-friendly parks, but that's crazy.
                    You're starting to figure out why the Giants have been in the toilet since the ball was changed at the All-Star break in 2016.

It's hard to hit home runs at AT&T Park, but the real problem is the offense just sucks. They were 6th in the league in home runs in 2010, and I believe actually led the NL in home runs on the road.

Comment

Ned Colletti was hired by the San Jose Sharks as a a scout. I assume Ned must know something about hockey to earn this job, but I hope the Dodgers are keeping him in a similar capacity. A lot of the young talent was drafted or acquired during his time as GM for the Dodgers.

I think the Giants mild success just before the trade deadline was the worst thing that could have happened to Farhan. He needed to trade everyone who could bring back talent.

Comment

Interesting move.

Paul de Podesta has been given some credit with turning around the Cleveland Browns.

Is it a former Dodger GM thing?

Colletti is from Chicago, but has no hockey experience I can find (whereas de Podesta has played in high school and worked for the Baltimore CFL team).

Comment

I suppose in this day and age, it's just all about understanding the advanced metrics and maybe some stuff about how sports work in general that apply across all the leagues.

Comment

They are also both soft cap leagues, so that probably helps.

Though the scout title is weird, as is the idea that his brief includes the AHL.

Comment

San Jose’s AHL affiliate is in San Jose, so that helps.

I imagine he won’t be a traditional scout, driving from Flin Flon to Salmon Arm in February, etc, but they’re starting him out on a lower rung so he can learn how hockey works and then move up to Asst. GM or GM soon.

Comment

Yes, I imagine that one of the reasons to include AHL evaluation is so that he can cover ten or so teams without leaving the time zone.

Comment

When MLB Network announced this, they said he started as a PR guy and then eventually moved into scouting and then GM offices. So, perhaps he's got an eye for talent or an eye for compiling a talented team. I can't say that I loved much of what he did early on with the Dodgers (esp. after the big money came in and he took on all those Red Sox contracts), but retroactively it is clear that he was trying to keep winning while building up the farm system. And that worked.

Comment

Dombrowski was fired by the Red Sox late Sunday night. This is a shocking move given the WS win last season and 108 wins. To extend my comments at the end of that last post about Colletti's big contracts with the Dodgers, I can't say that I'm a fan of Dombrowski. He basically is a guy who strips the young resources through trades while signing big money deals with players that are often on the downside of their careers. Detroit is feeling the effects of his work now. With that said, this plan gets results. Detroit was a winner when he was there and the Red Sox won as well. I'm sure, as various pundits have speculated, there's something internal happening that led Henry and co to fire Dombrowski.

At the end of the day, I'd have less problems with his moves if he didn't do big contracts with aging players. Let Cabrerra walk at the end of the contract, wait to see if Sale is healthy before doing a deal. The trades I don't mind as much, although still think he trades too much. I think the Astros and Dodgers have a much better approach. Trade to round off what already exists. In fact, I prefer the Astros moves to the Dodgers moves. I wish the Dodgers would have got Greinke back.

Comment

Great debut for Hoerner, thank God.

Comment

Around now I start to get more interested in the MLB season - file this in the "oh, is he still playing" category.

Any reason why teams still allow Edwin Jackson a chance to pitch?

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7241/

Is there a worse starting pitcher in MLB history? 316 starts - 4.74 ERA, 1.46 WHIP

Comment

He eats innings, and will perform in any role whatever one wants him to perform.

There is real value in that, even if he isn't particularly accomplished.

Comment

Jason Marquis is definitely worse by most metrics except wins and losses.

Comment

Very close to Jackson in many of the stats that I grew up with. Someone at work mentioned Jaime Navarro who's got about the same games and innings.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...avarja01.shtml

Comment

Since Jackson has basically pitched for every team in the big leagues, I think I've had the misfortune of him landing on the Dodgers and maybe the Yankees. But I'll say this, he pitched very, very well for the A's last year. I think his number were well below his career stats. And if not, he finally pitched for a team that hit like crazy. Oakland made it to the wild card game on the backs of a starting staff that has to a man mostly been worse than league average.

Comment

Never saw a LOOGY get sent in during the first inning before, and never saw 2 runs score on an inning ending third strike passed ball before.

#enditnow

Comment

Working...
                                                  X