No announcement yet.

MLB 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the last month of play, we're actually 14-13. Wow.

Comment

Did we cover this at the time, around the London Series matches ;

Baseball: Blue plaque in Surrey marks world's first game

Comment

No

I'm aware of that match, but only because I hang out with 19th c base-ball obsessives. It has a pretty good claim to be the first recorded match, though my recollection is that no one is sure of what rules they were using. The actual first match will likely always remain the white whale of the baseball history fraternity.

Comment

Posted this in the wrong thread last night

danielmak, Brian Roberts' dad, who used to be the coach at Chapel Hill, has been managing Cotuit for 20 years.

I don't think all of the clubs have that kind of continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            Did we cover this at the time, around the London Series matches ;

Baseball: Blue plaque in Surrey marks world's first game

Thanks for that. Interesting. As is Bobby Davro's parentage.

The punch-up at the Red-Pirates game has made the Beeb's sport page incidentally.

Comment

Two notable aspects of that brawl:

1) It is extremely rare for a player to do what Amir Garrett did and charge the opposing team's bench alone. He is fortunate not to have come out of that with a meaningful injury.

2) It is bizarre that Puig was even on the field after he had been traded to Cleveland (normally, players who are at a high risk of being traded are kept on the bench, lest they get hurt and bollox the deal). He is likely the first MLB player to have been ejected from a game after he had been traded.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/ATBBTTR/status/1156381887381815302[/URL]

[URL]https://twitter.com/JMackeyPG/status/1156416579225169920[/URL]

So he's trying to "protect his teammates"...from a batter who admired a home run off of his pitch.

Here is an entertaining video picking out all of the different storylines from the fight and the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU-E...ature=youtu.be

Comment

The Astros have added Zack Greinke to their pitching staff. Gulp.

Comment

I think I had the Dodgers - Astros in the World Series at the beginning of the year. The Astros seem to have been lying in the weeds while the media outlets obsessed over the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays (with Twins/Cleveland as a second storyline). The addition of Greinke is huge. I think being in AZ and not having a 1.whatever ERA that he had during his last season in LA has people feeling like he's dropped off, but his numbers are still incredible. The Astros gave up a lot of prospects, but I can't help but think that the Yankees just lost whatever chance they had today. Of course, the games still need to be played, injuries can't be predicted, blahblahblah but I would expect that the league is Houston's to lose. Then again, I thought the Phillies were going to win many championships with their amazing starting staff and that didn't happen.

The Bauer trade will prove to be very bad news for Cleveland. I get that they need some outfield thump, but the playoffs are all about pitching. You don't give up a top pitcher, which is very hard to attain, when thump is easy to attain. This was a trade that I would think the Yankees could have matched. I get that the Yankees spent a lot of money in the off season and traded for Paxton, but when stacked up against the Astros, Red Sox, Dodgers, or Cleveland (prior to the Bauer trade) the Yankees are far off the pace. And one could probably argue that the Cubs also have a stronger starting staff, although Yu has only come on recently and Q has been hit and miss.

Meanwhile the Cubs traded Montgomery for Maldanado who was then traded for Kemp. At the end of the day, is Kemp an upgrade over Montgomery? It's always good to have speed in the playoffs (if the Cubs get there) but the Cubs would seem to need pitching more than an extra outfielder (esp. with Happ spending most of the season in the minors).
                    Last edited by danielmak; 01-08-2019, 03:56.

Comment

I was hoping Cubs would find a way to get Thor somehow. ideally in exchange for Strop and $1. I'm dead realistic, me.

Comment

You would be in the mainstream on Chicago sports radio

Nice game by Hendricks last night

Comment

Pretty baffled at how the Dodgers didn't really do anything. I feel like if they don't win it all and if the bullpen does poorly in the postseason again, there will be torches and pitchforks out for Friedman.

Comment

Barring injuries, the Astros are going to be the biggest World Series favourites in recent memory.

Comment

The Bauer trade will prove to be very bad news for Cleveland. I get that they need some outfield thump, but the playoffs are all about pitching. You don't give up a top pitcher, which is very hard to attain, when thump is easy to attain. This was a trade that I would think the Yankees could have matched. I get that the Yankees spent a lot of money in the off season and traded for Paxton, but when stacked up against the Astros, Red Sox, Dodgers, or Cleveland (prior to the Bauer trade) the Yankees are far off the pace. And one could probably argue that the Cubs also have a stronger starting staff, although Yu has only come on recently and Q has been hit and miss.
                              The playoffs aren't really all about pitching any more than hitting. You can't win the world series without both.

The Reds gave up Puig - who they were going to lose anyway - and some prospects to get Bauer so that they have a decent rotation next year. But I don't think that rotation is going to be good enough for the quality of the line-up they'll have. Seems like they should have just gone for prospects.

There was a rumor that the Reds might flip Bauer to the Yankees for prospects. That sounds like a good idea. Of course, morale and attendance in Cincinnati is very low right now, so they can't just keep stockpiling prospects.

It just feels hopeless all the way around.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                Barring injuries, the Astros are going to be the biggest World Series favourites in recent memory.
                                I just...I don't think I could stand the Dodgers making the World Series again and not winning. I definitely wouldn't want to see them lose to the damn Astros again.

Comment

I'd be quite happy if they forfeited the LCS to the Cubs, should we somehow get there.

Comment

Nice start.

Comment

I don't think that four runs is going to be enough today unless the wind shifts

Comment

Depends which bullpen shows up, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

The playoffs aren't really all about pitching any more than hitting. You can't win the world series without both.

The Reds gave up Puig - who they were going to lose anyway - and some prospects to get Bauer so that they have a decent rotation next year. But I don't think that rotation is going to be good enough for the quality of the line-up they'll have. Seems like they should have just gone for prospects.

There was a rumor that the Reds might flip Bauer to the Yankees for prospects. That sounds like a good idea. Of course, morale and attendance in Cincinnati is very low right now, so they can't just keep stockpiling prospects.

It just feels hopeless all the way around.

A World Series winner certainly needs to be well balanced and that's what we see with the realistic contenders. But the lesson learned from the Astros and Red Sox is that patient, timely hitting needs to complement high quality pitching. The boppers who can't hit good pitching and who are three true outcomes are not likely to be as dominant in the playoffs. I don't know the exact stat name, which all seem to have some acronym, but SABR has researched which hitters hit good pitching. A club filled with boppers who hit poor pitching will sink in the playoffs. So, I'd rather have Bauer if I was a contender that needs starting pitching than let him go to the Reds.

Comment

I know it's at home, so we can't read too much into it, but that was still a good series.Newbies did well today too. Hope Contreras comes back soon though.

Comment

Baseball caps/ hoodies seen on Wembury beach yesterday:

Yankees (x3 at least)
                                              Blue Jays
                                              Round Rock Express
                                              Nashville Sounds
                                              Daytona Tortugas (alright this one was me)
                                              And what looked like Lake Elsinore Storm but I'm not sure the eyes were quite right.

Minor League Baseball big in south Devon.

Comment

The Yankees have hit fifty home runs in games against the Orioles so far this season and they still have four to go. That seems like helluva lot considering they only play each other nineteen times.

Comment

It is nuts, but so is the fact that the Twins are still on pace to hit over 300 home runs this season.

ESPN recently put this list of amazing home run factoids together

Comment

I would not be surprised if a majority of the Cubs' runs this season were scored off home runs (I believe it's currently at 294 out of 560). And we're not even one of the really big home run teams.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X