No announcement yet.

MLB 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks UA. Appreciated - I'm not going to let it lie.

Comment

I admire your resolve.

This piece from Outsports is a good overview, with useful links.

Comment

More info, wonderful. Thanks for that. I see what you mean, they're are relentless lot too and it's almost midnight here - they don't seem to like proper facts though.

Comment

No

They only accept "facts" that confirm their (generally uninformed) preconceptions and have walled themselves off from sources likely to challenge same in any way.
          Last edited by ursus arctos; 03-06-2019, 23:12.

Comment

On the plus side for the Tampa Bay Rays, they appear to have a Pride hat as well as a Pride Night..

On the negative side, they've illustrated their page with what appears to be a hetero couple.

Comment

They don't wear that cap on the field.

Other clubs also have Pride-themed merchandise.

Comment

It's hard for me to say how fans in the parks would respond to Pride Day. I would echo UA's comment about on-line assholes, but I find that to be a problem that extends beyond baseball fans. In fact, I have found 3 forums across my interests where there is genuinely thoughtful conversation that seems grounded in openness versus being a dick. OTF is among those, obviously. There is a fourth that I go to for conversations about punk but that is mostly populated by people trying to be snotty, so I pick and choose threads. Anyway, I think that in many parks people would be good with pride days but maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

MLB tonight showed some "live look-ins" of the Philies-Padres, including Manny's grand slam. Really nice crowd at Petco on a Monday night; it looked full from the TV angles. Great to see.

Comment

Can we please just stay at Wrigley for the rest of the season?

Comment

I have seen Red Sox pride caps. Not sure if the team is doing anything.

MLS is more right-on in this respect. Minnesota United had special pride kits for their loss to Philadelphia this weekend.

Comment

The Cubs reportedly have reached a multi-year deal with Craig Kimbrel, which should be a massive upgrade for what has been a very shaky bullpen.

It's nice of the Ricketts to spend a bit of that sweet tax cut cash they got from the politicians they have "invested" in on their most visible asset.

Comment

FAO Ginger Yellow

The Mitel & MLB present London Series will be reprised in 2020 with a two-game series between the St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago Cubs on June 13-14, 2020, as was announced today by Major League Baseball (MLB), the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA), and the Mayor of London.

Comment

My wife sent me a link to a news story that David Ortiz has been shot in the back in a nightclub. Glad to hear he survived.

I actually saw him at bat from not very far away at Fenway in 2016. Every ounce a legend.

Comment

Last night was quite stressful, as there were a lot of conflicting reports.

He is supposed to have told the ER doctor "Don't let me die. I'm a good man".

Which he is.

Comment

Distressing

Comment

Fucking hell, I saw an alert on my phone about this and that he was stable, and I assumed he'd just been shot in the leg or something. Not that a good bit of his intestines and colon are no longer inside him, although apparently the doctors believe he will recover fully.

And yeah, this was not a robbery as reported but clearly a hit attempt. Papi was shot at point blank range.

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                I'm quite excited about this too, not least because they're clearly going down the list of great MLB rivalries and you know who vs. you know what is next (although it should have been #1, what with the Giants nor Dodgers ever having a Washington Generals-esque run to match the Red Sox or Cubs). And with the Giants getting terrible attendance, they have every incentive to give up two home games for London.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  June 13-14,
                                  Oh thank fuck. I thought for a minute that was during the big conference I can't miss. But it's a weekend.

Comment

I'm quite surprised to find out that 12 home runs in one game was the previous record. I actually thought it would be lower.

Comment

We are in a period during which home run (and strikeout) records are being broken regularly due to structural changes in the way the game is played, most importantly the new focus on "launch angle" as a key to power and a notable increase in the velocity at which the ball is being delivered.

This is happening somewhat under the average fan's radar, given their focus on individual records, but the overall trends are unmistakable. The Yankees broke the record for home runs in a season that had lasted for more than 20 years last season, and the Twins are currently on pace to shatter that record by a significant margin.

Comment

Is that something it's possible to legislate to reduce? A game of nothing but fast-ball strike outs and home-runs is nothing like as interesting.

As an aside, it was relatively big news here that the Padres #1 draft pick was a "get it in play most times" batter, rather than a home run smacker.

Comment

Maybe they'll have to change the ball.

I also think they should raise all the fences by at least two feet.

Comment

There are a range of ideas being discussed, including changing the strike zone, moving the mound back (or lowering it again) and changing the ball (again).

One significant problem is that it is quite likely that measures to address the "strikeout problem" would exacerbate the "home run problem" and vice versa.

There also is significant reticence on the part of MLB itself to even admit that "problems" exist (see also the rise in the number of serious injuries caused by foul balls).

Comment

You'll need slower balls that move more in the air? That would mean faster pitches aren't as fast; slower pitches more valuable; balls are harder to catch, but don't fly to the fences as often. Basically: change the ball to a wiffle ball.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion.

You will be hearing from us if we have any follow up,

Comment

You can offer him the job on the spot if you want.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X