No announcement yet.

The Overture Overs: England in West Indies, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grant Flower looks unique: 6 hundreds, 14 fifties, 15 ducks. He could clearly bat but was vulnerable early,

Jack Russell and Peter Willey were the only two England batsmen averaging under 30 since 1980 who fill the grinder bill I think. Tavare averaged 32.50.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-02-2019, 01:14.

Comment

Both of those are great shouts.

Meanwhile, big thumbs up to Joe Root for this.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ndies-joe-root

"Don't use it as an insult, there's nothing wrong with being gay."

Next time, I suggest Gabriel might simply try "who's won the series".

Comment

Yes, nice work Joe Root. What with him and Stokes battering those chaps who had allegedly been having a pop at a gay couple, England cricket is pretty cool.

Comment

I'm not sure about Stokes, I know his defence in court was that he was protecting the gay men from homophobic abuse but it's veracity was never tested there. He was also filmed apparently mocking the couple himself and flicking a cigarette at them.

Agreed about Root, great work from him and seemingly very disappointing behaviour (to say the least) from Gabriel.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-02-2019, 11:55.

Comment

I thought hobbes was being ironic.

Comment

It's really hard to know what happened in Bristol, which was why he was acquitted, of course. I think it's possible Stokes might have been defending the gay couple, though it's just as likely that he spotted an opportunity for a fight on a pretext. What I think is less likely is that him flicking cigarettes around and dicking around outside the nightclub when extremely drunk presents solid evidence of him being homophobic. In short, it's possible, but we don't know, and other options are perhaps more likely also.

Comment

Well exactly, we don't know - which is why I said I wasn't sure that Stokes could be praised for anti-homophobia in the same way Root definitely can.

His "dicking around" seemingly including mocking, mimicking gestures aimed at gay men isn't a good sign however, though I'll agree it's not conclusive.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-02-2019, 12:19.

Comment

Per our earlier conversation, here is a comprehensive statistical analysis of over rate offenses from Cricinfo.

Comment

Stokes is an ill-disciplined pisshead. That's more likely to lead to court than Gabriel calling Root a faggot. Every team sledges, usually unpleasantly. If you want to cut it, give the umpire a set of cards.

Anyway, time to reprise my favorite:

McGrath: Hey Ronnie, what does Lara's cock taste like?

Sarwan: No idea. Ask yer wife?

Comment

This is going to be all done today then.

Comment

Windies clearly inspired by England's trip to the beach

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                          Both of those are great shouts.

Meanwhile, big thumbs up to Joe Root for this.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ndies-joe-root

"Don't use it as an insult, there's nothing wrong with being gay."

Next time, I suggest Gabriel might simply try "who's won the series".
                          Yep, amazingly shit by Gabriel. Ought to be fined or banned for that.

Big thumbs up to Root indeed. I think I'd have been too taken aback to say anything. He was straight on it.

Comment

He's clearly in the right, which is all that needs to be said I guess, but it was impressed that Root was very non-confrontational and matter of fact and just calmly set Gabriel to rights – considering Gabriel is a pretty imposing character.

Comment

Yes, exactly.

Comment

Sledging, according to Sky Sports.

https://twitter.com/SkyCricket/statu...602712064?s=20

No

​​​​​​It isn't

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  Thanks for this.

Comment

The win wasn't enough to preserve fourth place.

https://twitter.com/ICC/status/1095430850546675714

Comment

Gabriel banned for four of the ODIs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/47230497
                                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-02-2019, 16:57.

Comment

Pleasant that it is knowing about trouble for Rangers, that seems to be the wrong link...

Comment

Ah, peculiar. Fixed (though largely redundant) now.

Comment

Very much enjoyed this from Liew

https://twitter.com/IndySport/status/1096000315885871104

https://twitter.com/IndySport/status...00315885871104

Comment

Good article, thanks. On Root's steeliness, I also liked when he declared with the Bristol Barnstormer on 48*

Comment

West Indies choose to bat in the first ODI.

Comment

Butcher making the case for England to put Jofra Archer in the 15-man squad once he becomes available.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                                    Butcher making the case for England to put Jofra Archer in the 15-man squad once he becomes available.
                                                    Nasser Hussain did so yesterday. Is he any good?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X