No announcement yet.

Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuck's sake! Our players get major injuries before they even pull on a jersey now :

[URL]https://twitter.com/bbcsportwales/status/1199275232932052992?s=21[/URL]

Comment

I don't know why you say goodbye Halaholo. Halaholo ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
        That sounds very promising, has any Tier One nation played in Uruguay yet, apart from Argentina who I presume must have.
        Not a full side (as opposed to a XV) outside of qualification. Uruguay have yet to beat Argentina at any venue.

Comment

Strong Welsh side for the Barbarians game with Tips as captain and McNicholl making his (non-cap) debut. Rory Best ends his farewell tour leading the Baa-Baas;

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets); Johnny McNicholl (Scarlets), Owen Watkin (Ospreys), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Josh Adams (Cardiff Blues); Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Blues), Tomas Williams (Cardiff Blues); Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (capt, Ospreys), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Rob Evans (Scarlets), Leon Brown (Dragons), Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues), Ollie Griffiths (Dragons), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Sam Davies (Dragons), Owen Lane (Cardiff Blues).

Barbarians: Shaun Stevenson (Waikoto Chiefs & Maori All Blacks); Dillyn Leyds (Stormers & South Africa), Mathieu Bastareaud (Lyon & France), Andre Esterhuizen (Natal Sharks & South Africa), Cornal Hendricks (Blue Bulls & South Africa); Curwin Bosch (Natal Sharks & South Africa), Bryn Hall (Crusaders & Maori All Blacks); Campese Maafu (Leicester Tigers & Fiji), Rory Best (capt, Ulster & Ireland), Wiehahn Herbst (Blue Bulls), Luke Jones (Melbourne Rebels & Australia), Tyler Ardron (Waikoto Chiefs & Canada), Pete Samu (ACT Brumbies & Australia), Marco van Staden (Blue Bulls & South Africa), Josh Strauss (Stade Francais & Scotland).

Replacements: Schalk Brits (Blue Bulls & South Africa), Craig Millar (Sunwolves), Hencus van Wyk (Sunwolves), George Biagi (Zebre & Italy), Angus Cottrell (Melbourne Rebels), Jano Vermaak (Stormers & South Africa), Billy Meakes (Melbourne Rebels), Matt Duffie (Auckland Blues & New Zealand).

Comment

Interesting article on Halaholo and the residency qualifications, following our discussions upthread.

Comment

Does he think the Ospreys would be in it? Surely only in a 26/28 team setup that would have to be set up like the NFL, with divisions to ensure home and away fixtures between traditional rivals were maintained but some clubs only met once every three years except in playoffs?
              Ospreys chairman Rob Davies is confident a British and Irish league will be launched for the 2022-23 season, following investments from private equity company CVC.

Comment

I presume the initial league would be 10 from the PRO14 and the 12 from England. With Italy and South Africa missing out.

Comment

A very enjoyable match between Wales and the Barbarians yesterday. A lot of open, running rugby from the Baa-Baas obviously and Wales responded in kind. A brace of tries each from Josh Adams and, more surprisingly, Ken Owens - though he did spend much of the game stationed on the wing.

At 33-7 to Wales my son expressed disappointment that it looked like it was going to be a blowout (which made me glad that he seemed to get the ethos of a Barbarians game) but he needn't have worried as we were eventually pegged back to a 43-33 winning margin after draining the bench and getting a bit ragged in defence while the visitors kept throwing the ball around.

A very healthy 62,000 plus crowd and very warm farewells to Gatland, McBryde and Rory Best. I don't think the afternoon told us much about Pivac's Wales but was well worth the trip.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-12-2019, 22:39.

Comment

Ken Owens played a lot on the wing for the Scarlets Ray. I think it's part of Pivac's thinking.

Saw the reaction to Rory Best, thoroughly deserved for a very under rated player who was key to the way Ireland played. Not seem the Gatland reaction, hopefully he got a hundred times that of Best.

Comment

Rob Howley gets off very lightly for his betting misdemeanours.

That 'first try scorer' bet on a Wales match alone could surely have seen a far longer ban than eighteen months? The try in question was a training ground move scored within a minute of kick off.
                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 16-12-2019, 15:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                        Rob Howley gets off very lightly for his betting misdemeanours.

That 'first try scorer' bet on a Wales match alone could surely have seen a far longer ban than eighteen months? The try in question was a training ground move scored within a minute of kick off.
                        Howley, 49, used his Welsh Rugby Union phone and email account to place bets.

This was the think that struck me most plus it seems to have started as a coping mechanism after the death of his sister. Sad in very different ways.

Comment

My guess as to why he got off so lightly was he was a prolific bettor but not of very high stakes bets -- he lost like £1,000 a year averaging about 90 bets. It's very hard to consider him the rugby version of Pete Rose when he's betting tiny amounts of money.

Comment

I'm not sure that matters when set against how serious a breach of conduct it is to have bet on a game you are directly involved in and for it to be an incident you could have a major impact on. That kind of thing strikes me as something so fundamental that it should have a far heavier sanction than what is effectively a couple of seasons at worst.

I'm also suspicious that the excuse of his sister's death is a cynical piece of deflection. I have genuine sympathy for him as an addict and I would hope he receives help for that (and that it be mandatory before he is employed in rugby again) but that being a plank of his defence leaves a very bad taste.

Comment

A couple of tight, gripping if not great quality Welsh derbies at the weekend. The awful weather was at least partly to blame for the latter factor as well as the usual derby thud & blunder.

Dragons beat Scarlets with a last touch drop goal prompting delirious scenes ;

[URL]https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1208465087670968321?s=21[/URL]

That's not fireworks at the end there,by the way, just the usual Newport Saturday night gunfire.

Cardiff beat Ospreys away for the first time in about 15 years, despite suffering three yellow cards leading to them being at least a man down for 26 minutes and playing with 13 for 6 of those. That tells you more about the dire straits the Ospreys are in than anything else.

Comment

How is Welsh national rugby so good if the domestic scene is, to put it mildly, miles behind other nations?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  How is Welsh national rugby so good if the domestic scene is, to put it mildly, miles behind other nations?
                                  Gatland, Gatland and Gatland. Plus all of those that gave him what he requested.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Howley, 49, used his Welsh Rugby Union phone and email account to place bets.
                                    His bookie was accepting bets on Welsh rugby games from an account called .wru.org or whatever and that didn't set any alarm bells ringing at their end?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                      To take what AE said further, the rugby structure and culture in Wales serves to prioritise the national team to an extent that is true in no other country, with the possible exception of New Zealand.

Comment

I'm about six months late with this, and I have an idea that all rugby fans on here may have tagged on to this some time ago, but I found this an interesting analysis of the WC semi final. The same people have several youtube pieces available - the one on Sam Warburton is the other I have watched and it's good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNrwrL2Ep8U

Comment

Yeah, Squidge is great. Well worth following on twitter too. I posted up some of his videos during the tournament and he seems to have really come to prominence then and since, including doing some pieces for BBC Sport Online during the 6N.

Gawd I miss rugby and the World Cup in particular. I mentioned it being 18 months ago to someone the other day then realised it was only just over 6 months back. Time is very strange in the lockdown.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 14-05-2020, 11:52.

Comment

This is the Warburton one. A lot of perceptive stuff on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbRr8s8DyTE

Comment

My final word on this is to say the Squidge piece on Uruguayan rugby was excellent. Really interesting and very well researched stuff.

Comment

With no contract on offer from any Wales region Thomas Young resigns for Wasps, yet he's now ineligible for Wales as he's below 60 caps. This makes no sense at all.

Comment

Wrong place.
                                                  Last edited by ChrisJ; 03-06-2020, 14:28.

Comment

Just to point out that despite there being a few posts on here recently with regard to RWC 2019 there is actually a Rugby 2020 thread.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X