Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kolbe out for the Springboks.

Halfpenny is an ok replacement but he's not Liam. If Watkin plays does that mean Owen Lane or Hallam Amos on the bench?

Comment

Patchell covers both fly half and full back still but, yes, we're running out of backs really.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

I didn't watch the game so don't know the answer - presume they were planning the itinerary for their next fixture at Murrayfield in which for some reason they were to travel by coach and they were trying to decide where to stop for chips on the way back from Edinburgh to Carlisle.
        If I didn't already know how fond you were of a jaunt over the northern border, Walt, that quality pun would reveal all. I'm hearing it in Satnav voice ...

Comment

Would have been better for the tournament if a full-strength France had gone through than a partial-strength Wales. Would also have avoided Wales (probably) losing to England in the 3rd placed play-off. Wales might look back and wish they'd taken a narrow defeat to France than heavier defeats to the Springboks and English.

Comment

Ha ha ha, what a pile of absurd trolling nonsense.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-10-2019, 23:31.

Comment

Apologies. I was playing the role of Gonzo for the night :-)

Comment

Hard to see what you were getting at there. To be sure, if France had stayed at full-strength, we probably would have lost and I am not sure it would have been that narrow but we are in "If my grandmother had balls, she would've been my grandfather" territory here. I don't give Wales anymore chance of beating the Springboks - especially with the injuries - than England beating the All Blacks but there is a reasonable chance that the former will be a closer loss than the latter. No-one really gives a shit about the 3rd place match but it would be Gatland's last game so would've thought that there may be some impetus for the Welsh squad there but we are into Eddie Jones' shitty cod psychology territory there.

Comment

Foxy fit enough to start (at least for now), Shingler and Watkin on the bench ;

1. Wyn Jones (Scarlets) (20 Caps)
                  2. Ken Owens (Scarlets) (71 Caps)
                  3. Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs) (47 Caps)
                  4. Jake Ball (Scarlets) (40 Caps)
                  5. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys) (132 Caps) (CAPT)
                  6. Aaron Wainwright (Dragons) (17 Caps)
                  7. Justin Tipuric (Ospreys) (70 Caps)
                  8. Ross Moriarty (Dragons) (39 Caps)
                  9. Gareth Davies (Scarlets) (49 Caps)
                  10. Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints) (77 Caps)
                  11. Josh Adams (Cardiff Blues) (19 Caps)
                  12. Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets) (23 Caps)
                  13. Jonathan Davies (Scarlets) (79 Caps)
                  14. George North (Ospreys) (90 Caps)
                  15. Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets) (84 Caps)

Replacements:

16. Elliot Dee (Dragons) (27 Caps)
                  17. Rhys Carre (Saracens) (4 Caps)
                  18. Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues) (20 Caps)
                  19. Adam Beard (Ospreys) (18 Caps)
                  20. Aaron Shingler (Scarlets) (24 Caps)
                  21. Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues) (14 Caps)
                  22. Rhys Patchell (Scarlets) (17 Caps)
                  23. Owen Watkin (Ospreys) (20 Caps)

Comment

Bloody hell, I never quite realised how far Alun Wyn Jones was ahead of the rest as far as caps are concerned.

Comment

I don't really follow rugby union so apologies if this is a daft question, but why do they announce the team selection so far in advance?

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                        I don't really follow rugby union so apologies if this is a daft question, but why do they announce the team selection so far in advance?
                        That isn't a daft question at all! I wonder if it's something contractual about the media getting their stories, previews etc right?

Comment

I do however have a daft question of my own, well not so much a question as a talking point: on the evidence so far, would a Lions side entering this World Cup have won it with ease, or would we still be saying they were neck and neck with the All Blacks and Springboks?

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                            I've read it's a hangover from the amateur era when players might need to arrange time off work to travel to a fixture. National sides didn't travel with a large extended squad so the 15 definitely involved would need to get the practicalities sorted.

I think it's also a nod to a supposed certain traditional level of gentlemanly behaviour from coaches, that they would tell their opponent exactly who is playing rather than indulging in the chicanery of guessing games. Though I'm certain there have been teams announced in the recent past where a coach knew full well that he'd actually be changing at least one player in the starting XV claiming they were injured.

Apparently, while World Rugby rules are that the side has to be announced 48 hrs before kick off, if both teams agree that can be brought down to 12 hours - though it's never been done.

Comment

Ta. I wondered if it might be somehow rooted in the traditions of the game.

Comment

Does it also mean that fitness tests have to be done earlier: no such thing as a "late fitness test"?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                  I do however have a daft question of my own, well not so much a question as a talking point: on the evidence so far, would a Lions side entering this World Cup have won it with ease, or would we still be saying they were neck and neck with the All Blacks and Springboks?
                                  Well one of the biggest probs for a lions side has always been moulding the team together and establishing patterns of play within a short time. But assuming they had that time they would quite easily overcome the springboks. The Lions did draw a series with NZ fairly recently, and I think that's still a fair reflection of where they would now be.

Comment

Gibraltar's new stadium looks nice :

https://twitter.com/Rugbydump/status/1187682234125488128?s=20

Comment

First semi then ...

In 2003 I really wanted England to win it, for reasons that seem unclear now. Maybe it was that sporting failure seemed ingrained (this was before Ashes 2005, and the various gold-greedy Olympics), and the loser-narrative was getting tiresome. But, that was then.

If Wales can't beat England in the final, or get there (sorry) then the ABs have to win today. England v South Africa is about as romantic as proposing in Stevenage McDonalds.

But mostly I just hope there isn't one of those "Incidents", so everyone goes on about the colour of a card and ignores the brilliant rugby in the background. You can guarantee that something will be caught on camera (what is in their heads, really? "After 4 years I'd now like me or my team to miss the final, so here's a knee for you").

Hope: NZ by 20. Expect: England by 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                        Isn't that just their football 'stadium'?

And
                                        Hope NZ by 15+ Expect NZ by 5?

Comment

I want NZ to win so that if Wales somehow reach the final they won't have to suffer the humiliation of being beaten by the English, Does that make sense?

Comment

Boundary!

Comment

Home run!

Comment

Heretical thought of the day: the Haka is a bit silly.

Comment

Harsh getting that chalked off but that's how to use video I guess.

Comment

Being able to hear the conversations and the explanation really takes the sting out of the decision.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X