No announcement yet.

Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia worried us when they ran directly at us, especially in the second half, but England have the size/weight parity across the team to soak it up far easier.

Comment

"Golden thread by golden thread, Australia are unravelling". Not bad but probably sounded better when practised in his head, just before he popped off to sleep last night.

Comment

Curry has been immense in this match - playing the kind of game that Pocock used to play before all the injuries kicked in.

Comment

That's that then. Ireland next!

Comment

Kurtley Beale is like Unlucky Alf, isn't he? Poor sod.

Comment

Always find Australia easy to admire but hard to love.

Too bad we can only have a truly-meaningful-to-both-countries England v Japan clash in the final though( the bronze medal match wouldn't cut it). Would love to laboratory test all this "No - we just love a plucky underdog" pish from last week.

But I'm refusing to let Craig Doyle's "Sorry we cheered for Japan, lads" ITV sign-off from last Sunday turn me against him, fellow-traveller Warburton, or my pre-tournament hope Ireland and/or Wales would make a first ever final (the Scotland "proviso" more of a damned certainty this year).

Comment

Referee absolutely right to overrule and disallow that Australian try at the end but how the TMO ref with the benefit of replays didn't see that clear forward pass was a bit worrying.

Comment

Bollocks. I slept in and missed it.

Needed my sleep though, so there's that.

Comment

Chieka must be finished with Australia now. That is probably the most poorly coached, tactically inept Australian side I have ever seen at a World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                      Always find Australia easy to admire but hard to love.

Too bad we can only have a truly-meaningful-to-both-countries England v Japan clash in the final though( the bronze medal match wouldn't cut it). Would love to laboratory test all this "No - we just love a plucky underdog" pish from last week.

But I'm refusing to let Craig Doyle's "Sorry we cheered for Japan, lads" ITV sign-off from last Sunday turn me against him, fellow-traveller Warburton, or my pre-tournament hope Ireland and/or Wales would make a first ever final (the Scotland "proviso" more of a damned certainty this year).
                      Point of order: Jill Douglas introducing Bryan Habana two minutes ago: " He could hardly contain his excitement last Sunday watching Japan sneak past Scotland ..."

The "the prick" was very heavily implied.

Fair play, ITV.

Comment

The ground appears to be a sea of green - the haka's just been drowned out by a chorus of 'Fields of Athenry'. Isn't that a bit disrespectful? It'll only wind them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          Chieka must be finished with Australia now. That is probably the most poorly coached, tactically inept Australian side I have ever seen at a World Cup.
                          The implication from the post match chat on ITV is that his departure was imminent.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            Insomnia so I am up at 3.14am watching this. 32-17 seems about right. Australia have been poor for a while.
                            Not so far off.

Comment

Goodhue's mullet very prominent in the early stages.

Comment

Unsurprisingly ferocious start to the match.

Comment

How many phases of relentless pressure?!

Comment

Uh-oh. This might not end up the nail-biter I was hoping for.

Comment

Nice try.

Comment

And again.

Comment

It's like a prison beating so far.

Comment

Ireland are tackling way too high in nearly every phase here, hugely dangerous and a sign of panic.

Comment

As an aside now this game is effectively over I do get annoyed when referees yell at players not to use their hands in the ruck. Not just because they are professionals and shouldn't need telling but because the ref should bloody well let them transgress and then penalise them. The ref's effectively assisted two of the All Blacks' tries in this half.

Comment

Men against boys. On this form, hope they go on to win the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                  The ground appears to be a sea of green - the haka's just been drowned out by a chorus of 'Fields of Athenry'. Isn't that a bit disrespectful? It'll only wind them up.
                                                  I don't think these guys hear anything except the blood they need to drink pulsing through the veins of the opposition.

Fucking frightening. As so often before. A sporting phenomenon the All Blacks.

I wouldn't say I'm glad Scotland didn't beat Japan but, ye know, right now, I'm glad Scotland didn't beat Japan.

Comment

Ireland need a yellow for all these lasso tackles round the neck.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X