No announcement yet.

Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reflecting on tomorrow's game against the Wallabies, I remembered how much we all used to look forward to David Campese's views on such occasions and wondered what he was up to these days. His Wiki entry must be longer than that for World War II but the personal life section runs to just 11 words: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Campese

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I was right on the 8 who went through. Now we know who is actually playing each other I'm revising my latter stages predictions (because those 4 predictions are playing each other in 2 of the QFs)

England v Australia ~ England to win
      New Zealand v Ireland ~ New Zealand to win
      Wales v France ~ Wales to win
      Japan v South Africa ~ Japan to win (why not, eh?)

SF England v New Zealand ~ New Zealand to win
      SF Wales v Japan ~ Wales to win

3rd place play off - England to win

Final New Zealand to win
      I think that is pretty much what I would go for but I have the usual pessimism that France are going to turn up and beat us.

Comment

In a land of megaopolii (sp?) Oita seems to be a relatively small place for a World Cup QF. It's not small exactly - it would be the second city in Ireland, Wales, NZ etc. But in Japan it's not in the top 20 by population. Like England hosting a QF in Northampton.

Anyway, England to win comfortably. 32-17.

Comment

Insomnia so I am up at 3.14am watching this. 32-17 seems about right. Australia have been poor for a while.

Comment

Australia have started with intent.

Comment

England wake up and get the first try. Excellent conversion; 7-3.

Comment

Superb try. England in charge now.

Comment

Interception gets the 2nd; 14-3...16-3.

Comment

Wonderful skill under pressure from Slade for that second try.

Comment

Australia are too one-dimensional in attack. England know what they're going to do, know how to defend it and are forcing errors.

Comment

They're unravelling now, mistake after mistake. They're going to have to take risks to try and get back in to the game and England will exploit them.

Comment

As with Japan-Scotland last week, England's attacking left flank is too good for Australia's lumbering defence.

It will be interesting to compare this England performance if the All-Blacks later. Australia have had territory but couldn't execute. The AB's would execute, you'd assume. To repeat the above, we are seeing why Australia have been poor for several years now.

Comment

The left flank has profited because England have quickly switched from attacking down the right to the opposite side of the pitch, stretching the defence. For May's first try it ended up as backs against forwards. Australia aren't doing the same when they have possession, slow predictable going along the line.

Comment

Scrum. Time to go and make a cup of tea and know that it won't have been completed by the time I get back.

Comment

Scrums were also shit in Japan-Scotland. What's going on?

Comment

England looking very good but glad Australia are keeping themselves on the scoreboard - would like to see an early Wallabies try in the second half to shake things right up.

Comment

Without ever being obsessive about the sport I have watched RU for long enough to think I should have some sort of idea about the 'dark arts' of the front row at the scrum and how a referee manages them. However fifty years on and I realise I'm still struggling with it.

Comment

In this case, Australia are targeting Sinckler's questionable technique looking for penalties and a yellow card. It's dull rugby.

Japan's attacking scrum is usually a model of swift simplicity but they do sometimes use resets to run down the clock when leading late on, though I didn't notice it against Scotland.

Comment

I missed the build up, and therefore am unable to win a bet I made with myself. How often did they show Jonny's drop goal?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                                          England looking very good but glad Australia are keeping themselves on the scoreboard - would like to see an early Wallabies try in the second half to shake things right up.
                                          You got it!

Comment

Slade and England's full back were awful there, watching their men go past them.

Comment

...and Australia repay the favour!

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

You got it!
                                                ... and it made it interesting for about 0.5 seconds.

That should be the scare over.

Comment

Sinckler ran a great line there for the try.

Comment

Useful to take 3 points, but I wonder if mentally that now gets England thinking "all we've got to do ..." for 15 minutes. If Australia do get one try back quickly this could still be a very nervy ending.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X