Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
    Scotland v Japan might be called off, thanks to Typhoon Conspiracy.
    From an Irish perspective, need Scotland to win by the bare minimum, and even then we would only avoid NZ by also beating Samoa with a bonus.

Comment

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1181925787194331142/photo/1

Comment

What's at stake here? A place in the next round or just where the teams will be placed in the next round?

Comment

Both.

As the table shows, there are a handful of scenarios in which Japan doesn't go through and a larger number where the quarterfinalists will be Japan and Scotland, while the most likely combination is Japan and Ireland

Comment

Not sure quite how reliable this is but it's one of several reports emerging that England v France is definitely off :

[URL]https://twitter.com/pasport/status/1182060985739304961?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Seems to be English sources only at this point, but a number of reliable outlets

Comment

The BBC now reporting it as off too.

Comment

The Times is also reporting that World Rugby have ruled out moving or delaying Japan-Scotland match, which is more concerning in terms of the integrity of the tournament.

Comment

I presume the extreme intensity of this typhoon was difficult to predict but not having a plan B when it's the season for them over there really damages the credibility of the competition.

Comment

The reporting that I've seen said that there were Plans B (Oita or Kobe), but that a decision has been made not to use them.

Comment

Yes, fair point. The issue is why not?

Comment

I'm afraid that the answer is commercial, though I'm struggling to figure out just how it is better for them to cancel the match (my best guess is that there are force majeure clauses that they think help them).

Comment

If they cancel Japan Scotland, Japan qualifies?

Comment

As do Ireland

Comment

I dont care either way about the outcome for embra Lawyers and Borders farmers, but all the worst people in my work are rugger fans, so if there's some way for Ireland not to qualify I'd like it to be visited upon those wannabe Deefer cunts.

Comment

Ah. The deefer cunts will prevail so.

Comment

Glorious Defeat by the weather is ultimate Scottishness.

Comment

The fuckin Corries should write a new verse to the worst national anthem this side of the Soldier's Song.

Comment

The Welsh anthem must have gained its melodic power by draining the hummability from their q celtic cousins.

Comment

England/France has been cancelled so the former win the group and will probably play the Aussies in the QFs.

Comment

What a joke of a tournament suddenly.

Comment

I read this to mean that no decision has yet been made on Japan-Scotland

[URL="https://twitter.com/nippon_en/status/1182131032658628608?s=21"]https://twitter.com/nippon_en/status/1182131032658628608[/URL]

Comment

Maybe I'm falling back too much on outdated ideas of national characteristics, but I imagine the Japanese wouldn't feel good if their team were to reach the QF without having played the Scots.

Comment

I watched the World Rugby press conference live (sad but true) and I thought their rationale and explanation was very clear.

It's definitely an either/or (game is on or off), no mucking about, no attempts to shift one but not another, and so any favouritism is avoided. Overall I'd say they have got it right - certainly a lot more right than the knee-jerkers on social media who have given it ten seconds of thought.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X