No announcement yet.

Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well at least it wasn't Paloma Faith this time.

Comment

Right, here we go. The opening game, Japan v Russia, starts in 15 minutes. Then there is the massive meeting of the All Blacks and Springboks at 10:45am UK time tomorrow, preceded by Australia v Fiji and France v Argentina.

I fly out tomorrow afternoon for a week or so to see Wales v Georgia, Russia v Samoa, Japan v Ireland and Australia v Wales.

Can't wait. Come the fuck on, Wales!

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-09-2019, 10:36.

Comment

Make sure in charging around Japan shouting about Wales they don't mistake you for a greenpeace activist...

Comment

Are they going to welcome the teams on with the big synchro drumming thing at every game or is just because it's the opener? I hope it is at all games, it's very impressive.

Comment

Bloody hell, Russia score the opening try after a few incidents of terrible judgement of kicks by Japan.

Comment

Filthy out the back pass from the Japanese outside centre sets up their try in response.

Then they blow claiming another high ball, I fear for them against Ireland if they can't field a kick cleanly.

Comment

Surely the World Cup merits a thread of its own.

Comment

Have a great one M de Galles

I really enjoyed the 2002 World Cup, largely because of the early morning kick-offs in Western Europe. Early morning insomnia.

My brother went and phoned from Sapporo

Him: Hello, we're in a bar enjoying a few sakis with the locals

Me: I'm having a drink too,after late shift at work. It's 10pm here, have you been on the piss all night?

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                    Surely the World Cup merits a thread of its own.
                    We've always rolled them in as the spine of the relevant annual threads before.

Comment

A tight but correct call on control of the ball denies Japan a second try. They're finding it tougher than people imagined, Lyn Jones has Russia going well so far.

Comment

I've never seen the ball bounce so much in a major (ish) rugby international. It transforms the game. Looks like something I remember from school.

Comment

Japan pulling away now, 20-7 after Labushagne (not that one) strips the ball and waltzes in for a try.

Comment

After the last World Cup I imagine Japan want the bonus point here. Although of course they'd still (probably) have to beat Ireland or Scotland.

Comment

They really have to get the bonus point, their fitness should secure it given the effort Russia have had to put in to the match so far.
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-09-2019, 12:28.

Comment

...and there we go. A knackered Russia throw (or kick, to be precise) the fourth try to Japan.

Comment

This is interesting.

Staten Island is not a particular hotbed of rugby here, but parts of it are very accessible from Manhattan (which is) and land there is exponentially cheaper. The local authorities are also very interested in supporting projects that can draw visitors to the borough, which is very much not the case in the more central parts of the city.

https://twitter.com/MartinPengelly/status/1175030595090558976

Comment

I don't think it's that bad. If the WC were in England and Japan's team did a thing as the knights of the round table, or if it were in the US and they did a cowboy thing, nobody would be too upset. A bit cheezy, I suppose.

The military imagery is annoying. Why do sports always have to be hyped up with that?

Comment

Fiji-Aus. Fiji doing what Fiji do, and they are 14-12 up at half time. It's intense, brutal and fast, but Australia are still in this .

Comment

I have very little confidence that Fiji will keep this up, although I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Australia have started controlling the ball and are now leading 25-21 after 65. You can't play loose against Fiji, they'll murder you.

Comment

The last twenty minutes were a totally different game to the first sixty. Often seems to be the case in games like this, where a top ten side play a second tier nation. I'd be interested in the odds on Tonga similarly leading at half time tomorrow before getting steamrollered.

Comment

Full time. Australia win 39-21

Comment

Game of three quarters and 25%.

Comment

England lose a staff member on eve of competition. The last para of that report about NDAs being strictly enforced is loaded, isn't it?

Comment

That first match was a jolting one to watch pre-dawn. Both Australia and Fiji worried me immensely from a Welsh perspective, especially given our tendency to get sucked in to playing the latter at their own game. Also worrying was that Fiji apparently have "Flying Fijians" on their badge.

France v Australia right now is certainly a lush kit match up.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X