No announcement yet.

Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Rob Evans or Samson Lee, five props and Cubby Boi in the 31. Those were the shocks for me.

Cory Hill going despite the fact he'll miss the first two games.

Comment

He didn’t make the 53-man roster, but the Bills put him on the practice squad. Normally the limit for the PS is 10, but there’s a special provision for international players so they can have 11 including him.

Given his lack of experience, perhaps he’ll be ok with this for a while or maybe he could make more playing RU and will leave
      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 01-09-2019, 21:46.

Comment

Can Wade have another go next season?

Comment

Absolutely

Though because he is occupying the exempt spot, he is not eligible for promotion to the team during this season (unlike the other members of the practice squad).

Comment

Kearnan Myall’s brave testimony must trigger profound cultural change in rugby

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...y_to_clipboard

An excellent piece. Well worth a read and relevant to many sports and careers.

Comment

Wales versus the Barbarians was already special because it was new coach versus old coach, the WRU have got special dispensation to allow Nigel Owens to referee it. That's a lovely touch.

Comment

Fuck. Chester Williams has died from a heart attack.

Comment

Heart attack at 49. So awful.
                  That happens in “older” athletes more often than one might think.

Comment

Terrible news about Williams, I think he's the fourth player from SA's '95 squad to die young and, of course, we've also lost Lomu from NZ's side.

Comment

By dint of that win Ireland have gone top of the World Rankings. As we know Ray's disdain for them I imagine there's almost a bit of relief that Wales won't be burdened by any inflated sense of anticipation that the number one ranking brings with it.

Comment

Irish rugby fans and, especially, journalists have the most inflated sense of their own brilliance in the world, so being number 1 is their natural place,as far as they're concerned.

Comment

Gareth Thomas has revealed that he is HIV positive. Shit.

Comment

Obviously a shock but if anyone can help educate that HIV is now a chronic manageable disease rather than a death sentence, it's Gareth.

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear that, it is bloody awful news.

Comment

My wife just told me, bloody hell!

Clearly someone had gone to the press and he's preempted the story by revealing it himself.

[URL]https://twitter.com/gareththomas14/status/1172979157762039810?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                  My wife just told me, bloody hell!

Clearly someone had gone to the press and he's preempted the story by revealing it himself.

[URL]https://twitter.com/gareththomas14/status/1172979157762039810?s=21[/URL]
                                  That's an amazing response from a remarkable man.

I wish that the Guardian story I read this morning had linked to this, it's his secret and nobody else's but someone or some people have clearly tried to blackmail him.

Comment

Gareth Thomas revealing HIV status will 'tackle stigma'

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y_to_clipboard

Alfie has given the story as an exclusive to the Mirror after tabloid journalists went to his parents' house. I wonder which tabloid scum that was?

Documentary on TV on Wednesday according to the article.

I wonder how is iron man triathlon went today. 2.5 mile swim in open water and before training for this Alfie couldn't swim. Legend he is.

Comment

Rob Howley sent home from Wales camp for breaching "corruption/betting" rules. FFS!

Comment

I don't know much about him. Is he particularly stupid rather than it being any more sinister than that?

Comment

He is particularly stupid, twp as we say in Wales.

Stephen Jones (who was set to replace Howley under Pivac post RWC anyway ) is rushing out to Japan now to take over, many consider him an upgrade.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-09-2019, 19:04.

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49739345

A journalist told Alfie's parents before he could. Scum.

Comment

Truly awful, though to be clear I don't think the scum journalist exactly beat Alfie in a footrace to his parents' front door.

Comment

This is possibly the first World Cup I remember where plotting who potentially gets who from the quarter finals is a) pretty hard to confidently predict in the first place, with the possible exception of Ireland winning group A, and b) redundant anyway, as I think there are six teams who could win this if they get that far so at least two of the quarter finals are games that could easily have been the final.

Comment

On how many levels is this offensive?

cultural appropriation, imperialistic, arrogant...

https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status/1174360194828120065?s=19

Comment

They look like fat stormtroopers.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X