No announcement yet.

Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Zealand stuffing Australia 31-0 in the Bledisloe Cup decider. So Wales will have to beat England to go into the World Cup ranked number one. In fact, England can claim that position themselves in the unlikely event they beat the Welsh by 15 points this afternoon.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 17-08-2019, 09:17.

Comment

The All Blacks absolutely hammering the Wallabies 36-0 with a few minutes left of the return Bledisloe Cup match. An absolutely outrageous debut try from Fijian born & raised Sevu Reece, which I am trying to find video of, being the highlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
        New Zealand stuffing Australia 31-0 in the Bledisloe Cup decider. So Wales will have to beat England to go into the World Cup ranked number one. In fact, England can claim that position themselves in the unlikely event they beat the Welsh by 15 points this afternoon.
        Who gives a fuck? Have you ever met anyone in rugby, fan or professional, who cares about the rankings (apart from the occasional time it impacts on RWC seedlings)? Anyway, I thought the All Blacks remained number one if they won today.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-08-2019, 09:31.

Comment

Here's the Reece try, thought the other angles and close up really accentuate how good it was :

[URL]https://twitter.com/skysportnz/status/1162657520168493056?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            Christian Wade may well be playing himself onto a NFL roster

This is very impressive for a neophyte. The ball is thrown very poorly, but he catches it cleanly and goes on an inventive run

[URL="https://twitter.com/pff_sam/status/1162539484895993857?s=21"]https://twitter.com/pff_sam/status/1162539484895993857[/URL]
            That looked mightily impressive.

Comment

Eight minutes into the England Wales game and they've decided to dispense with the ball and have a good old fashioned bundle instead. Could get tasty, this match. Do any cards carry over into the World Cup?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                Who gives a fuck? Have you ever met anyone in rugby, fan or professional, who cares about the rankings (apart from the occasional time it impacts on RWC seedlings)? Anyway, I thought the All Blacks remained number one if they won today.
                Wow, who took the jelly out of your donut this morning?

Comment

A win and some injuries. Cubby Boi took a knock to the head so I'm not sure how he is. The other ones are hopefully just minor.

A camp in Turkey then back to back matches against Ireland.

Dan Biggar was named man of the match and straight away had a dig at JJ Williams, not sure if that was necessary but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post

Wow, who took the jelly out of your donut this morning?
                    Eh? What's wrong with asking who gives a fuck about rankings? They are absolutely immaterial to anyone but the media.

Comment

Well, as the biggest leek and daffodil waver on the entire board, it does seem a bit curmudgeonly of you to dismiss the fact that Wales are now world number one for the first time ever. Although yeah, proving it on the pitch in Japan would obviously mean a whole lot more.
                      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 17-08-2019, 17:24.

Comment

It really isn't, it's just common sense. The rankings are utterly meaningless and never more so than on the eve of a World Cup. The actual best team in the world will be established conclusively in a little over two months time and nobody with any sense thinks the rankings tells you who it will be.

Comment

As Ray said the only time the rankings meaning anything are for RWC seeding, they matter not at any other time.

Comment

Some RWC seedlings, yesterday

Comment

France are tearing Scotland apart tonight - 32-3 after 66 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                                France are tearing Scotland apart tonight - 32-3 after 66 minutes
                                That's how it finished.

South Africa completely changed their starting XV but still beat Argentina.

Italy hammered Russia 85-15 today.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                  Eh? What's wrong with asking who gives a fuck about rankings? They are absolutely immaterial to anyone but the media.
                                  Rogin wrote an enthusiastic post, to which you reply "Who gives a fuck"? You don't go with "I don't care", you don't go with "Rankings do not really matter", you choose to go the extra nuclear mile to actually say "Who gives a fuck?"

To me, that reads like an uncalled-for level of aggression.

Comment

Ah well, I disagree. The aggression, such as it was, was towards the banal media-confected subject rather than towards the poster and I would have imagined that was clear, on here of all places.

Comment

I didn't take anything "ad hominem" about it all. I'm a long-standing nerd on the board about world rankings in all sports, and I reckon Ray's reaction to Wales going to number one in the Rugby was about the same as a Belgian football fan's when they similarly got there ahead of Euro 2016. There's no beef at my end.

Comment

Good to hear, Rogin.

Comment

Kearnan Myall: ‘Several England players I know dread training camp’

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y_to_clipboard

Rugby and mental health. A compelling and frightening read.

Comment

England gives the "team of us " a record hiding,.Of course it's a warm up game, when Ireland beat New Zealand, it's a test.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                              England gives the "team of us " a record hiding,.Of course it's a warm up game, when Ireland beat New Zealand, it's a test.
                                              It is a RWC warm up match not any autumn international. But it's still worrying.

Scotland beat France in the other international.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/t2rugby/status/1165037648878211072?s=21[/URL]

Comment

In unusual friendly news, Russia will be hosting Connacht for their last RWC warm up match on 7 September

It so happens that this follows on Russia's loss to Jersey

They are going be murdalised in Japan
                                                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 27-08-2019, 20:29.

Comment

The Welsh squad is announced ;

[URL]https://twitter.com/welshrugbyunion/status/1168146475509047297?s=21[/URL]

it made me cry a little, I also laughed because the first club is Camberley. Christ, I'm going to be a wreck for this tournament...again.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X