No announcement yet.

Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daly; McConnochie, Slade, Francis Watson; Ford, Heinz; Genge, Cowan-Dickie, Cole, Launchbury, Ewels, Curry, Underhill, B.Vunipola.

Replacements: Singleton, Marler, Williams, Kruis, Ludlam, Youngs, Marchant, Cokanasiga

England's side looks more second string.

Very strange as you would have expected the coaches to have agreed beforehand.

Comment

These warm up games are always deeply silly anyway. I'm sure they're absolutely necessary but 6N teams playing each other always makes them feel a little redundant.

Comment

They're money spinners, simple as that.

Comment

The IRB are going to trial banning tackles above waist high, and introducing a Rugby League style "50:22" rule where kicks finding touch after a bounce will see the kicker's side keep possession at the lineout. The latter is proposed to force defending sides to stay deep to defend against such kicks into their 22, in theory creating more space for running rugby in midfield. I'd be interested to see it in action.

Comment

[URL="https://twitter.com/nfl/status/1159647320905932800?s=21"]https://twitter.com/nfl/status/1159647320905932800[/URL]

Comment

I saw that this morning, does he have a realistic chance of making it? That was a massive hole he went through but he had the pace to exploit it. His teammates seemed genuinely excited for him.

Comment

Much too early to tell.

He was playing against second and third string players last night, and it wouldn't surprise me if half of the defence on that play don't end up making the team.

But his speed is undeniable and he can see holes, which is an important skill.

Comment

Cheers UA. Will he stay as a running back or will he try out as a wide receiver? He seems to be a little small for the former. I can see him being a kick returner if he has those two skills you mention.

Comment

I think that they are thinking of him as a back that can catch passes, in part because the learning curve for receivers is steeper. Durability is going to be a concern, but I don't think that expect him to get 25 carries a game.

Comment

Well, go Wallabies. That puts down a marker.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                        Well, go Wallabies. That puts down a marker.
                        Did the red card have much of an influence or was it a deserved win?

Comment

Wales go to world number one if they beat England tomorrow, and would be the first to take the top spot from New Zealand in a decade.

Comment

The last thing Wales need is over-confidence.

Comment

Looks like we've cleverly safeguarded against that. Didn't watch the game but hearing Anscombe is on crutches, how bad did the injury look?

Comment

I've not seen the game either but from what I've read it sounds bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Did the red card have much of an influence or was it a deserved win?
                                  Truthfully only seen highlights and read reports but apparently the Wallabies played very well and would have won anyway. Obviously if they win at Eden Park next week it will really make people sit up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                    Looks like we've cleverly safeguarded against that. Didn't watch the game but hearing Anscombe is on crutches, how bad did the injury look?
                                    Scan tomorrow. Best to hope for is strained knee ligaments and a few weeks off.
                                    Tomos Williams is also getting a scan.

Next Saturday's side is also expected to be full strength to replicate the group games in Japan. The matches against Ireland will be more for the squad players.

Comment

Only seen the score but South Africa hammered Argentina in Argentina. They are my favourites for the RWC.

Comment

Anscombe out of the World Cup with a cruciate injury. Fucking pointless friendly games.

Comment

Fuck. Jarrod Evans to step up rather than Rhys Patchell.

Comment

England World Cup squad

Forwards: Dan Cole (Leicester, 86 caps), Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter, 12), Tom Curry (Sale, 11), Ellis Genge (Leicester, 10), Jamie George (Saracens, 37), Maro Itoje (Saracens, 27), George Kruis (Saracens, 32), Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 59), Courtney Lawes (Northampton, 72), Lewis Ludlam (Northampton, 1), Joe Marler (Harlequins, 58), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 22), Jack Singleton (Saracens, 1), Sam Underhill (Bath, 9), Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 42), Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 53), Mark Wilson (Newcastle/Sale, 13).

Backs: Joe Cokanasiga (Bath, 5), Elliot Daly (Saracens, 31), Owen Farrell (Saracens, 70), George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 56), Piers Francis (Northampton, 5), Willi Heinz (Gloucester, 1), Jonathan Joseph (Bath, 41), Jonny May (Leicester, 45), Ruaridh McConnochie (Bath, uncapped), Jack Nowell (Exeter, 33), Henry Slade (Exeter, 22), Manu Tuilagi (Leicester, 33), Anthony Watson (Bath, 34), Ben Youngs (Leicester, 86).

Comment

I'm guessing England are the first to announce their squad. Brown and Teo not included after fighting during team bonding.

Comment

England and Wales both make three changes for the match tomorrow.

Biggar starts with Jarrod Evans on the bench.
                                                In the pack Jake Ball and James Davies start, Beard and Tipuric have slight knocks, and both could seal places in the squad with big performances. Shingler covers lock and Navidi the back row on the bench.

Comment

I'm absolutely certain we'll have another player injured out of the RWC tomorrow, especially given Gatland has called for the team to up the intensity.

Comment

Christian Wade may well be playing himself onto a NFL roster

This is very impressive for a neophyte. The ball is thrown very poorly, but he catches it cleanly and goes on an inventive run

[URL="https://twitter.com/pff_sam/status/1162539484895993857?s=21"]https://twitter.com/pff_sam/status/1162539484895993857[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                                    X