No announcement yet.

Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's paying for him? I'm guessing he's not going to play for free.

Does this mean more high profile players joining? Enjoy watching him.

Comment

All good questions, and the answers are currently unknown.

I'm quite sure that the fact that it is New York is not a coincidence. There are more affluent French people here than anywhere else in the US and the same goes for French corporate headquarters .

Comment

http://twitter.com/LiRFC/status/1125702011503173632

Comment

They've signed Wallabies prop Kepu too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            They've signed Wallabies prop Kepu too.
            And SOB. At least those two have never been tried for rape.

Comment

Gavin Henson has been released by the Dragons and his professional career is now over. Apart from Danny Cipriani has there been any other personal player who has wasted their talents as much as Henson?

A broken wrist in 2011 meant he neither went to any RWC not got himself under Gatland and his team's influence. Oh what could have been.

Comment

Clermont finally win a final. It's not the big one but still it's a European title, 36-16 over La Rochelle in Newcastle. I saw some of it and from what I watched they deserved the win in front of a decent sized crowd. Fritz Lee was again one of the stand out players, he's from Samoa but not been capped by them, I wonder why. Does he have a clause in his contract that prevents him from playing international rugby?

Comment

I saw most of the game and it was pretty shit. Clermont won solely due to endless, dull rolling mauls and Stade Rochelais never got their running game going. I turned over with ten minutes left.

Thankfully I'm at a football match when tomorrow's game is on :

Comment

Leo Cullen makes a tit of himself calling on Celtic fans to turn out to support Leinster against Glasgow Warriors saying that they're "all a gang of protestants ". Apart from the crassness of the sectarian comment,he shows his knowledge of football cause Celtic are playing the Scottish cup final at the same time.

Comment

Fucking hell! Where did he say that?

I watched Quins come agonisingly close to a place in the play-offs by coming back from 25-8 down at Franchise RFC to 27-25 but putting an 80th minute penalty from the halfway line a foot short to miss out on fourth place.

I now have tickets for Saracens v Gloucester in the play-off semi-final next Saturday (as I had some credit with them from unused tickets v Cardiff in Europe earlier in the season that had to be used up) and will try and convince myself the Cherry & Whites have a chance.

Comment

My brother saw people commenting about it on Twitter,don't know when he said it.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          Mathieu Bastareaud is going to play for New York in MLR next season.
                          https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/s...-new-york.html

Some more details here. It's a loan move for the 2020 season, he'll play in the RWC then join NY.

It makes a lot of sense for players to do this to avoid burn out.

Comment

Watching the Sarries-Chiefs final, and Chiefsa re 22-16 up at half-time. Itoje sin-binned, which was a bit of a shock, because he never gets sin-binned....

Sarries will come back - but game on.

Comment

It's a decent (if one-dimensional) match but has the horrible feel of something Saracens will nick at the last.

Comment

Which, of course, they did.

Could I ask what you mean by "one dimensional" in this context? Just curious.

Comment

Two teams with a similarly relentless power game bashing away at each other. No real play from deep, little in-phase play, lots of high kicks for territory, lots of driving mauls.

The modern way, I suppose but it's exacerbated in this case by the fact it's almost always the same two teams doing it this way in this final. Gloucester, Bath and Harlequins play a bit more expansive rugby in England's league but it's not successful against these two's style (and Saracens' crooked payments).

Comment

Saracens really are paying in a dodgy way. Investment in Wray's business empire which doesn't count in the salary cap is how I understand it.

Didn't watch the game as it's dull rugby. Leinster play a similar way and to see the same sides winning and making finals has taken the excitement out of the game.

Comment

The u20 World Championship has started today in Argentina, which seems to have gone a bit under the radar.

Every team seems to have played today and, amongst other results, Wales beat the hosts 25-30 in a really hard fought match, England lost 26-42 to Ireland and South Africa defeated Scotland 43-19.

ITV4 have a highlights programme and Wales' matches appear to be live on S4C.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                        The u20 World Championship has started today in Argentina, which seems to have gone a bit under the radar.

Every team seems to have played today and, amongst other results, Wales beat the hosts 25-30 in a really hard fought match, England lost 26-42 to Ireland and South Africa defeated Scotland 43-19.

ITV4 have a highlights programme and Wales' matches appear to be live on S4C.
                                        I was going to post our result, which is impressive, but had no idea of TV, is it on sky or BT Sport?

Ireland beating England is a shock.

Comment

I'll be honest and admit that I've not been following the local rugby this year, but the San Diego Legion finished top of the league after winning last Sunday, and - like the glory-hunter that I am - I've got tickets to the play-off semi-final against Ursus's New York United at the Torero stadium. They're a very reasonable $10.50 each.

Comment

Diageo end their sponsorship of London Irish over the signing of Paddy Jackson.

Comment

That is excellent news.

Comment

Speaking of RUNY

[URL="https://twitter.com/rugbyunitedny/status/1138885696465309696?s=21"]https://twitter.com/rugbyunitedny/status/1138885696465309696[/URL]

Comment

Cracking atmosphere today at the Torero Stadium for the championship game. It was a near sell out. The game was good - probably marginally better than last week - although it was still handling errors that created the most chances.

The result, sadly, was the opposite of last week. Scores traded back and forth, San Diego went ahead 20-14 with a try. Seattle scored a counter try, but missed the conversion. Less than 10 minutes left and we were feeling comfortable. We then kick a drop-goal to make sure Seattle needed a try to win. 78 minutes and we give up a penalty. They kick it perfectly to the corner, and then put all their players in a massive maul that drived over the try-line. Last week we won with a last minute try; this week we lost to one.

Comment

Ugh
                                                    At least it was exciting

Comment

Working...
                                                    X