No announcement yet.

Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody hell, I have just seen the ground as well. That doesn't just look like a great rugby ground, it might be the best rugby ground ever.

Comment

Comment

And you need to persuade Ursus Jr to go out there? He doesn't just go at any and every opportunity?

Comment

It looks a wonderful baseball stadium, I think rugby would be less satisfying there but definitely well worth a visit.

This is a must do though surely :

Seinfeld Night

Since 2014, the Cyclones have dedicated one night a year as a tribute to the popular sitcom Seinfeld, featuring various show tributes such as an "Elaine Benes dancing contest", determining if a fan had either picked or scratched their nose, the Cyclones wearing "Puffy Shirt"-styled jerseys, appearances from former actors and giveaways honoring the show. This game has since become one of the Cyclones' most popular events, regularly selling out in advance and drawing fans of both baseball and Seinfeld from near and far.
          Also on their wiki page is one of the saddest things I've ever read :

In 2008, Maverick the Wonder Dog was introduced. He was a real Chocolate Labrador Retriever who was owned by one of the Cyclones staff members. The goal was to have Maverick learn tricks like picking up baseballs and bats. Like the Pelican, Maverick lasted only one season.
          I've genuinely looked up Maverick to find out what happened to him as I'm so worried and , apart from finding this adorable photo, there's nothing :

Comment

Actually, it looks like Maverick's human just stopped working for the Cyclones, that's what I'm telling myself anyway. He started a great tradition though;

The tradition began at MCU Park back in 2008, when a former Cyclone employee brought her pooch, Maverick, to the ballpark. The team adopted Maverick that summer and even honored him with his own bobble head

Comment

I was just about to post that. I take from "former Cyclone employee" that she left the club (and perhaps the area) and took her adorable Lab with her.

It is much better for baseball than for football, though there is one stand that is parallel to the touchline (I assume that they will use the same orientation as they have for real football and gridiron).

I'm a bit concerned that they won't cover the dirt infield, or that whatever cover they choose to use won't be stable.

As a heads up to potential visitors, we have two great minor league baseball parks, each of which is easily accessible by public transit. The other one is in Staten Island, a short walk from the Ferry Terminal, and hosts the Cyclones' rivals, the Staten Island Yankees.

Comment

I've been there (MCU, not Staten Island) a couple of times - the first time I just had a wander round the outside to take photos, and managed to set off some kind of alarm and had to leg it. The second time was more orthodox, for a Cyclones game and it did indeed prove to be a perfect setting for an evening's minor league baseball. You can fill up beforehand on hot dogs and beer at Nathan's close by.

It's occasionally used for concerts - Wilco played there (very local connection) and I think Bjork has too.

Comment

When I was looking in to the Cyclones yesterday I also came across info on the Staten Island Yankees and it seemed like Guiliani tries to take the credit for the teams' emergence while Mayor. Any credence to that?
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 19-02-2019, 15:16.

Comment

Some, though not as much as Rudy! would have one think.

The development of both clubs was encouraged by the City's economic development folks on his watch. He also surely twisted the arms of his close friends the Steinbrenners who own the Yankees.

Comment

Very interesting recent developments in Toulon. Julian Savea has been effectively sacked by the owner but I seriously doubt that it will happen.

The very fickle Mourad Boudjellal has now turned his attention to Rhys Webb. Around Christmas Webb's wife and children returned to Wales as the older child couldn't settle in school. Now Boudjellal has accused Webb's agent, Derwyn Jones of pimping him around Wales.

Could Webb be about to make the RWC after all?

Comment

What's the case UA? A duty of care issue or something else?

Comment

Essentially yes.

In particular, Clermont having sent him back onto the field in the 2015 Heineken Cup final after having suffered two concussionsduring the match (on top of one a few weeks earlier), thereby seriously jeopardising his health

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Essentially yes.

In particular, Clermont having sent him back onto the field in the 2015 Heineken Cup final after having suffered two concussionsduring the match (on top of one a few weeks earlier), thereby seriously jeopardising his health
                            Is it just him or a test case? There are a fair few examples of this, George North springs to mind straight off .

Comment

Well, it takes advantage of particular provisions of French law and an expert report that Cudmore commissioned.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                Well, it takes advantage of particular provisions of French law and an expert report that Cudmore commissioned.
                                Thanks for this. I'm pretty sure this regularly happened but how easy it is to prove is a different matter. It might only affect France at the beginning but it could set a precedent like in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                  Fucking hell, I am going to come to Coney Island to see that match with you, ua. That sounds great. Can we go to Little Odessa and get a cabbage roll after?
                                  Hmm. What day is the game? Buses are cheap lately....

Comment

Sunday 14 April at 13h00

Comment

Wales go for Anscombe over Biggar for Saturday and the rest of the 23 has no real surprises. Thomas Young unlucky not to make the bench but the coaches do seem to like Wainwright's versatility and strength in defence & line out.

Liam Williams (Saracens); George North (Ospreys), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Josh Adams (Worcester); Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter), Cory Hill (Dragons), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, captain), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Dragons).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons), Aled Davies (Ospreys), Dan Biggar (Northampton), Owen Watkin (Ospreys).

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                        Very interesting recent developments in Toulon. Julian Savea has been effectively sacked by the owner but I seriously doubt that it will happen.

The very fickle Mourad Boudjellal has now turned his attention to Rhys Webb. Around Christmas Webb's wife and children returned to Wales as the older child couldn't settle in school. Now Boudjellal has accused Webb's agent, Derwyn Jones of pimping him around Wales.

Could Webb be about to make the RWC after all?
                                        I wouldn’t be surprised if the Webb family is sick of Boudjellal’s shit. Unfortunately Cardiff seemed to have paid for Toulon’s sins, as Samu Manoa’s ignominious departure seems related to Toulon refusing to allow him to visit America at all, even in the off-season.

Comment

Everyone in the sport is sick of Boudjelllal.

But his cheques still clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Webb family is sick of Boudjellal’s shit. Unfortunately Cardiff seemed to have paid for Toulon’s sins, as Samu Manoa’s ignominious departure seems related to Toulon refusing to allow him to visit America at all, even in the off-season.
                                            He left the Blues for personal reasons, saying he wanted to be with his family. I didn't realise be wasn't allowed to go to the USA at all, that just seems cruel and counterproductive .

Comment

Can I, for one, be the first to mourn this intrusion of rugby into our baseball thread?

Comment

Wales - England U-20 live link.

Comment

Diolch, Cymru!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X