Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This guy thinks it is all Italians :

[URL]https://twitter.com/charliericho1/status/1093849763068420100?s=21[/URL]

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/charliericho1/status/1094650758824382464?s=21[/URL]

Comment

So. He’s counting the Eccelenza/Top 12 as second tier.

Comment

Yes, I think you have to class the national leagues for Pro14 countries as second tier really, that's certainly what I meant.

Comment

Italy is a bit of a special case there, as they have so few teams at the higher level.

Comment

I love the refs at top level rugby being miked up. At the end of England - France today, admittedly after any final tense part of the match was over, he could be heard telling the players "yeah, you knocked that on. Unlucky, that was, but yes, you did. Okay? Right."

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                As the second half has been dull, I've been trying to think who the last player was prior to Demba Bamba to appear in the 6 Nations while playing second tier rugby?
                Italy have picked a few players outside of the PRO14. Cannot remember who now.

Edit: Late to the party as the answers have been given.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  Italy is a bit of a special case there, as they have so few teams at the higher level.
                  Scotland also have just two but that's more recent.

Comment

So far I've watched just most of the first half of France Wales and nothing else. Are England any good?

Comment

Yes and they're clear favourites to win in Cardiff and then to do the Grand Slam. Today's scoreline flattered them though, they were efficient and effective while France were an absolutely appalling shambles.

Comment

Yes and they're clear favourites to win in Cardiff and then to do the Grand Slam. Today's scoreline flattered them though, they were efficient and effective while France were an absolutely appalling shambles.
                        Not sure England are clear favourites given Wales' exceptional run of form. It's pretty much being called 50/50.

Comment

We haven't beaten England in the 6N or at home for 6 years and, especially based on the last two matches, we are on a run of results rather than form. England meanwhile have comfortably won the last two matches.

I'm sure there will be lots of kidology between the coaches trying to put the pressure of being favourites on the other side but as supporters we don't need to do that. Looking at it honestly and dispassionately, England have to be favourites - is there a consensus amongst the bookies?
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-02-2019, 10:45.

Comment

Bloody hell, the Italian second tier?

Comment

As I think was discussed up thread, they are taking the Pro14 to be the Italian top tier.

Comment

We haven't beaten England in the 6N or at home for 6 years and, especially based on the last two matches, we are on a run of results rather than form. England meanwhile have comfortably won the last two matches.

I'm sure there will be lots of kidology between the coaches trying to put the pressure of being favourites on the other side but as supporters we don't need to do that. Looking at it honestly and dispassionately, England have to be favourites, is there a consensus amongst the bookies?
                                PP have England as favourites for the match. Wales are 11/8, England are 8/13.

Comment

Musing on the "second tier club" question referenced above, I know it was framed as "in the 6 Nations" which by definition frames it in the professional era, and the establishment of the regional tier sides in Wales and Scotland, but were there international players prior to that playing for clubs that were never really at the top table? Sir Bill Beaumont played for Fylde, for example, who I don't think ever really challenged for the Lancashire Cup, let alone anything wider?

Comment

England only adopted something approaching a national league system in the late eighties with the national merit tables and then the formal league a few years later. The "champions" prior to that were worked out informally from results between the leading clubs by the Telegraph I think.

Wales didn't have a formal league until late eighties/nineties, as I recall.

Comment

Yes, that's right, although even while it was just based on eg Merit Tables, there was always an assumed pecking order. In Wales, for example, you always had Cardiff, Swansea, Neath, and Pontypool, etc. International touring sides used to play them. Did any internationals in those days play for clubs that were just a roped off pitch next to changing rooms and a bar? And if they did, did good players rapidly go somewhere "better" in the way that we expect players to migrate nowadays?

Comment

I'm sure there was a drift towards the biggest eight or so clubs in Wales and I'm sure some of them paid boot money or arranged sinecures for their players as they had the resources, Cardiff especially.

The other drift was going to the north of England to play League, of course.

Comment

So I'm watching SB's hometown San Diego Legion on ESPN+ and they aren't terrible. They have a scrum half who played for Western Province and that helps a good deal.

They are coming here in April to play Rugby United New York (one of the lamest names for.a.club in history) and I am going to try to convince ursus minor to go out to Coney Island for the match. If it is a bust, we.can always go to the Aquarium.

Comment

The season's starting much earlier this year. Which makes sense, I think. There were some very warm games last summer. They don't seem to be showing it on local TV, although there was a bloke in the brewery earlier in a Legion shirt.

Rugby United New York is a shocking name. It's so bad that it makes me feel a bit less embarrassed by the San Diego Sockers, San Diego Fleet, San Diego Legion, San Diego Seals and San Diego Gulls...

Comment

Fucking hell, I am going to come to Coney Island to see that match with you, ua. That sounds great. Can we go to Little Odessa and get a cabbage roll after?

Comment

Absolutely.

We can even go to the baths and hit each other with birch sticks.

Comment

I just looked at a Google Maps of where they're playing. If they're playing in that baseball stadium, that looks like an incredible location. Even nicer than the Torero Stadium at USD.

Comment

Yup, that's it.

Right next to Luna Park.

The latest incarnation of the Cosmos have played some matches there, but its primary tenants are the Brooklyn Cyclones (a lower level Mets farm team).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X