Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Hang on, the 6 Nations isn't on terrestrial TV in Ireland? Can you pick up the UK coverage anyway?
    It is, it's a listed event, so was shown on Virgin Media One (formerly TV3).

Comment

Ah OK, that sounded like a cable channel.

Is cable TV still a thing, actually,

Comment

Hang on, the 6 Nations isn't on terrestrial TV in Ireland? Can you pick up the UK coverage anyway?
        Virgin Media One is the former TV3, basically the ITV of Ireland.

I would imagine you could pick up the BBC's coverage pretty easily, that's available everywhere in Ireland, but ITV in the Republic is a more difficult get.

Edit: whoops, missed the posts. I'll leave this up for the bit about the Beeb.

Comment

Wales make ten changes for the game in Italy. Thomas Young and Jonah Holmes make 6N debuts and Jonathan Davies is captain for the first time.

WALES TEAM TO PLAY ITALY (Saturday February 9 KO 16.45 GMT - Live ITV & S4C)

15. Liam Williams (52 Caps)
          14. Jonah Holmes (1 Cap)
          13. Jonathan Davies (69 Caps) (Capt)
          12. Owen Watkin (9 Caps)
          11. Josh Adams (7 Caps)
          10. Dan Biggar (66 Caps)
          9. Aled Davies (12 Caps)
          1. Nicky Smith (24 Caps)
          2. Elliot Dee (14 Caps)
          3. Samson Lee (39 Caps)
          4. Jake Ball (29 Caps)
          5. Adam Beard (9 Caps)
          6. Aaron Wainwright (4 Caps)
          7. Thomas Young (2 Caps)
          8. Josh Navidi (12 Caps)

Replacements:

16. Ryan Elias (6 Caps)
          17. Wyn Jones (11 Caps)
          18. Dillon Lewis (8 Caps)
          19 Alun Wyn Jones (121 Caps)
          20. Ross Moriarty (27 Caps)
          21. Gareth Davies (37 Caps)
          22. Gareth Anscombe (22 Caps)
          23. Hallam Amos (18 Caps)

I would have given the Williams/Anscombe half back pairing another run despite the problems in Paris and held Davies and Biggar back before having to make the big decision for the England game.

Comment

Just goes to show how much difference one test can make - a week ago Ireland were on everyone's prediction list to win not only this championship but the World Cup, now people are confidently talking up the prospect of them losing at Murrayfield this afternoon.

Comment

Perhaps less so now

Comment

Scotland - Ireland a storming game. As I type Keith Earls puts daylight between them but Scotland playing well and this isn't over yet.

Comment

Every time I watch them I can’t help but want Italy to win.

Comment

Two incredibly unconvincing performances from Wales in ostensibly their two easiest games and two scrappy wins. Ten changes was clearly too many today.

In my opinion, Anscombe played himself in to the starting 10 shirt for the England match and Watkin had a great game but Parkes will probably be back in a fortnight. Young did well but maybe not enough to get himself in to the 23 for the Millennium.

Not feeling confident about the two home games or Murrayfield, even if Scotland's defence looked pitiful for Ireland's tries on the highlights I've just seen (as it did for Italy's late consolations last week).
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-02-2019, 13:47.

Comment

When did rugby players stop wearing rugby boots? (Scotland v Ireland live on US TV. What's not to love?)

Comment

Ah fuck. It isn't live.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                          Every time I watch them I can’t help but want Italy to win.
                          I am the same but, obviously, not when they play Wales - not least as we often look like giving them a rare victory. I don't know whether this is because I am a supporter and they are, well, Wales but we never seem clinical enough. I didn't realise that the vast majority of the team play for Italian clubs still.

Comment

last week, Chile 8-71 USA
                            Yesterday, Argentina XV 45-14 USA

Comment

A technical curiosity that came to mind watching Scotland's try yesterday. The 'pop up' pass from the tackled and grounded Russell seemed an awful long time coming. I know that the 'release immediately when tackled' law that I was taught at school is long gone but exactly how does that law stand now? Russell really seemed to be given (relatively) a lot of time to hold on to the ball and make his pass from the ground. Were Scotland the recepient of a lenient interpretation of the rule by the referee? Could he have blown for not releasing? As I say, just curious.

Comment

Penaud is a lovely player to watch, couldn't properly appreciate it last week.

Comment

Then he misses his man and concedes a try.

Comment

Pre-match, it seemed a strange decision to move Huget to full back given his fumble on the line last week and it's actually turned out even worse than I would have expected. Any kick through is absolutely bamboozling France.

Comment

France's first half summed up :

[URL]https://twitter.com/greub1/status/1094617133345058818?s=21[/URL]

Comment

England really didn't need Nigel handing them two tries this half with a couple of very generous decisions.

Comment

England really didn't need Nigel handing them two tries this half with a couple of very generous decisions.
                                          He referred them both, though. Ultimately the decisions weren' t his.

Comment

As the second half has been dull, I've been trying to think who the last player was prior to Demba Bamba to appear in the 6 Nations while playing second tier rugby?
                                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-02-2019, 16:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

He referred them both, though. Ultimately the decisions weren' t his.
                                              He basically dared the TMO to have the temerity to undermine him on the Ashton call, the second one was mystifying as to why May's foul on the defender was missed and I wonder if it's because the question was solely about the final touch back.

Hasn't altered the result at all but they were strange decisions.
                                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-02-2019, 17:04.

Comment

As the second half has been dull, I've been trying to think who the last player was prior to Demba Bamba to appear in the 6 Nations while playing second tier rugby?
                                                Since the Celtic League, that only applies to England and France, of course, unless the WRU select exiles?

Comment

The standard of the Italian first tier is below that of the second in England or France.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Since the Celtic League, that only applies to England and France, of course, unless the WRU select exiles?
                                                    We do and only recently did we impose a minimum cap limit to be selected. Charvis has been suggested to me as the last second tier player to get a 6N cap while at Tarbes but I haven't verified it.

Of course, there's no rule to stop a Celtic nation calling up a player for their "second tier" national league - just the huge disparity in quality between them and the Pro14.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X