Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    I didn't realise he was qualifying, I thought he'd been capped for one of the Pacific Islands. I think he'd get a look in as the other centre options don't seem that strong. The two from the Dragons haven't really kicked on, Morgan and Dixon, and there's nobody else except the U20s.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

We've only realistically got Johnny McNichol in the pipeline and Scotland continue with kilted kiwis rather than residency qualified players.
    Reading my first "What next for Wales?" article today and it says Willis Halaholo is now qualified for us. Or is he not a realistic prospect?

I'd rather not go down that route but if everyone else is...

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Making headlines in the land of the world champions (maybe it's like USA presidents, the winners don't take over until next year?):

"Television New Zealand to show Coronation Street instead of 3rd/4th place play-off".

Which is just brilliant (disappointingly it has more to do with TV rights than the network having a sulk, but it's truthy enough to reflect the mood. We still have to endure the final).

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I think Ireland hold the record for most quarter finals without ever making a SF.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    At present, the all-time World Cup standings, caklculsted at 4 points for first to one point for 4th plce, are:

1. New Zealand 21
    2. Australia 17
    3. South Africa 12
    3. France 12
    5. England 11
    6. Wales 3
    6. Argentina 3
    8. Scotland 1

If England win, they'll overtake France and share third place with SA. If England lose, they'll be fourth.

Whatever happens, Wales will stay in 6th, but Argentina will drop to 7th.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by ooh aah View Post
    Ultimately we seemed to be outdone by SA's poor kicks, not their good ones. Halfpenny dealt with the good ones fine, but there were a number of poor box kicks from SA that didnt go anywhere near far enough, and Welsh players just stood there and watched it bounce as if they were expecting Halfpenny to get it from 30m away.

Yeah, broken play from an opposition error often bamboozles sides - especially a pretty rigid, systems-based team like us.

We just didn't have enough in so many departments today, either in terms of replacements for the countless injured players or the small things on the pitch. It came down to the fine margins in a dogged game but at least it wasn't a card or contentious decision that cost us.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-10-2019, 19:55.

Leave a comment:

• ooh aah
    replied
    Worth remembering that France's stellar performance against Wales came off the back of an extended break due to the typhoon. The QF was their 1st game in 2 weeks, it was Wales 3rd. I think most good sides would put in a dominant performance in such circumstances.

This was of course also true for Eng and NZ who also excelled in their QFs

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Nothing to separate Wales, South Africa and France in terms of quality. Any of them could be in the final if you replayed the games. Japan could also have had a chance if they'd found a way to overcome huge packs.

All Blacks may feel they'd be in the final if they'd lost the group game v South Africa but I wouldn't guarantee that either.
    France?

Not this time.

Leave a comment:

• ooh aah
    replied
    Ultimately we seemed to be outdone by SA's poor kicks, not their good ones. Halfpenny dealt with the good ones fine, but there were a number of poor box kicks from SA that didnt go anywhere near far enough, and Welsh players just stood there and watched it bounce as if they were expecting Halfpenny to get it from 30m away.

Leave a comment:

• Muukalainen
    replied
    Originally posted by tee rex View Post
    Those phases that led to Adams' try were a whole different game from silky back play but just as gripping. As always I thought they should have taken the 3 but they went for 7 and got it. Deserved to win for that alone.
    Couldn't agree more, a courageous decision to opt for the scrum knowing full well the certain Springbok response to it, and properly rewarded.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    Bloody Wales. you have the opportunity to set up the ultimate Bantergeddon for Irish Rugby fans, and you piss it all away. I was looking forward to asking irish rugby fans innocently about how lucky Ireland must have been to have had a coach like Warren Gatland if even for a brief time.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    If England can show the same discipline next week that they did yesterday I can only see South Africa scoring from drop goals. Mind you, they've got form for that against England in World Cups too.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Nothing to separate Wales, South Africa and France in terms of quality. Any of them could be in the final if you replayed the games. Japan could also have had a chance if they'd found a way to overcome huge packs.

All Blacks may feel they'd be in the final if they'd lost the group game v South Africa but I wouldn't guarantee that either.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-10-2019, 11:58.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Can't really face any analysis right now, such fine fucking margins.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Those phases that led to Adams' try were a whole different game from silky back play but just as gripping. As always I thought they should have taken the 3 but they went for 7 and got it. Deserved to win for that alone.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Painfully close for Wales there. Drop kick for them leads to lineout leads to a chance ... and a penalty against. That was the margin. Lost to a fresh, world-class pack off the bench.

De Klerk doing a Herschelle Gibbs was the highlight, but he didn't drop the world cup after all.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    The rugby TV people have learned from the football TV people the art of cutting away to blonde female fans.
    Only did it once, though, I think, whereas in football it's relentless, especially Brazil games.

I wonder how much the 20 phase try took out of Wales; nothing in the tank afterwards. But they were four points away from the final with a massively depleted squad at the end; awesome effort.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-10-2019, 11:01.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Multiple comebacks was just a little too much to ask for a depleted Welsh side. Full strength = might have been in the final.

Wales v All Blacks next week will be watchable. I've never see a ruby 3rd placed play-off before.

South Africa probably only have about a 10-20% chance of beating England, if that (too many errors, rather too slow), but never say never.

Leave a comment:

• Logan Mountstuart
    replied
    Bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Oh well.

Leave a comment:

• Logan Mountstuart
    replied
    Alan Wynn Jones is 100 x the man I could ever dream of being. He looked absolutely gone after that 20 phase session on the SA line. He looked like he could hardly breath, let alone stand up when he told the ref he was going for the scrum.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Yesssssss!!

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Aggghh the tension

Leave a comment:

• Mr Cogito
    replied
    That's poor defence