I think SA have this.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Better

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    He didn't miss one of those last week against Wales!

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    Bloody hell I'm excited about this!

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    The 3rd-4th game being a slog might need some revising. 2007 was great, I was at 2015 and found it enjoyable rugby, and today. I can’t remember 2011 or 2003, and 1999 was definitely miserable rugby.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Enjoyable game, the whole atmosphere was better than previous 3rd/4th games, the ABs were noticeably more positive about it than in previous tournaments, when grim faces were compulsory. The hosts have helped in that regard, I think. The old attitude of "bad loser = winner" is fading from the AB mindset and the supporters, thankfully.

And no, it certainly wasn't a NZ B team, all the key positions were the regular starters. Wales gave it a go, didn't deserve a thrashing.

Leave a comment:

• Vicarious Thrillseeker
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    I don't know about NZ B, a lot of people think this is the side they should have put out in the semi-final.
    Ben Smith looked particularly awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Muukalainen
    replied
    I don't know about NZ B, a lot of people think this is the side they should have out in the semi-final.
    Yup, no way is this a B team.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    I don't know about NZ B, a lot of people think this is the side they should have put out in the semi-final.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-11-2019, 10:22.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    I know this is Wales B vs New Zealand B and a final between them wouldn't have been anything like this open but it's a cracking game. I reckon we've already seen more tries than we'll see tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    That pass to Beauden Barrett was like Hal Robson-Kanu's Cruyff turn on the Belgian defence.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Christ, I miss Japan
    Just yesterday I booked a bit of the second half of our honeymoon, which will be a cross-Japan extravaganza in Spring. Can barely wait. Extraordinary country.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    HOW CHERRY BLOSSOMS BECAME BRAVE BLOSSOMS - AGAINST SCOTLAND

They do seem to really embrace the name over there.

Christ, I miss Japan and miss the Rugby World Cup now it's over. I would have been on the plane right now.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-10-2019, 21:21.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    It was definitely just the Cherry Blossoms when I was a kid. I suspect it’s branding, as the baseball team now goes by Samurai Japan.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    It doesn't translate well, and seems to resonate in Japan in a way that it is hard for us to appreciate.

Though it can be said that associating male sports teams with red or white roses doesn't travel well either.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Am I the only one to find the use of "The Brave Blossoms" as incredibly patronising?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Good piece on the potential and challenges facing the development of rugby union in Japan

But these are not ordinary times. Japan’s heroics at the Rugby World Cup – where they reached the quarter-finals before being beaten by South Africa – have helped to cultivate a new breed of rugby devotees, including this writer’s normally taciturn barber, who unbidden, brandished his clippers and offered an analysis of the Brave Blossoms’ decisive pool victory over Scotland – only the third rugby match he had ever watched.

More than 54 million people in Japan followed that game on TV – almost half the population and a record for any rugby match. And so the superlatives go on: more than a million people crammed into fanzones and a quarter of a million Japan replica jerseys have been sold. And all this in the first Rugby World Cup in Asia.

Rugby has arrived in Japan, but as England and South Africa prepare to play out its finale, some wonder if the fever will subside as soon as the last 30 men left standing walk off the pitch at the International Stadium Yokohama on Saturday night. That would be a frustrating rerun of the reaction four years ago after Japan’s shock win over South Africa in the Brighton Miracle, now eclipsed by victories this time around over Ireland and Scotland.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

How was he? He comes across well and appears to be a little more relaxed than Gatland but there's an obvious edge to him.
    He was certainly relaxed but it was a social situation with a bit of rugby small talk so he had no reason not to be. I've been in similar situations with Gatland also present and he's definitely been more guarded but that's no surprise, both because that's his way and as he's been in the spotlight for so long.

You're right that Gatland (and Edwards) leaving is a monumental change and I think we're only beginning to properly appreciate him now he's almost gone. The Welsh national situation is unrecognisable from 2007 and I'm concerned that following him is like replacing Alex Ferguson.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Friday is Gatland's last ever Wales game, 12 years on and after two sabbaticals with the Lions it all comes to an end. He's probably the second greatest ever coach we've had after Carwyn James and has greatly over achieved with a regional and club game in chaos. He's taken us so far and hopefully has left a legacy, players such as Elliot Dee and Dillon Lewis, both at the start of their Wales careers, talk of the belief he's given them and the squad.

I've only got one issue with him, what happened between him and Dwayne Peel? It's not about him preferring Mike Phillips who was bigger and fitted his plan or about Peel moving to Sale. It can't even be him being seen as difficult as Gatland gave Henson a real chance and would have taken him to NZ in 2011. So what is it?

However he's been brilliant and should make an excellent coach for the All Blacks. Thanks for everything.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Yeah, when the squad was announced it was indicated that Wyn and Carre had trained at tight head with a view to them covering if needed.

I chatted to Pivac in Tokyo before the Australia match and he said he was heading home after that game and would return if we made the semis or final, I can't recall which. He certainly gave the impression he didn't want to be peering over Gatland's shoulder though obviously having Jones in camp was a good thing for continuity.
    How was he? He comes across well and appears to be a little more relaxed than Gatland but there's an obvious edge to him. He cleared out a lot of dead wood at the Scarlets and then got them to buy into his way of playing talking a relatively limited side very far until Leinster had too much up front for them. He then lost key players through injury or leaving so I'm still hopeful he's the right choice.

I fear a wave of retirements after the RWC when we so need continuity. Let's see after Friday.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Yeah, when the squad was announced it was indicated that Wyn and Carre had trained at tight head with a view to them covering if needed.

I chatted to Pivac in Tokyo before the Australia match and he said he was heading home after that game and would return if we made the semis or final, I can't recall which. He certainly gave the impression he didn't want to be peering over Gatland's shoulder though obviously having Jones in camp was a good thing for continuity.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 30-10-2019, 11:39.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    I've a feeling it'll be like the 2003 match, I really hope so. Cubby playing is a huge call but shows the possible style of play.

Pivac has been observing for the tournament and Stephen Jones has been inside the camp since Howley was sent home so there's an air of transition about this side. Wyn Jones has been listed as second reserve prop so I presume he's covering tight head with Francis injured.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    It's worrying for Halfpenny and for the wider sport that it appears he picked up a concussion during a match and nobody spotted it at the time.

That side really illustrates the extent of our injury list and relative shallowness of our player pool. We have to hope the All Blacks aren't switched on so we can avoid a hammering

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Wales: Amos; Lane, Jonathan Davies, Watkin, Adams; Patchell, T Williams; N Smith, Owens, D Lewis, Beard, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Tipuric, James Davies, Moriarty.

Replacements: E Dee, Carre, W Jones, Ball, Shingler, G Davies, Biggar, Parkes.

New Zealand: B Barrett; B Smith, Crotty, S Bill-Williams, Ioane; Mo'unga; A Smith; Moody, Coles, Laulala, Retallick, S Barrett, Frizzell, Cane, Read (capt).

Replacements: Coltman, Moli, Ta'avao, Tuipulotu, Todd, Webber, Lienert-Brown, J Barrett.

Teams for the bronze medal match as it's now billed.

Leigh Halfpenny ruled out with concussion again. Very worrying for him.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Nigel Owens has a calf injury which is why he's not involved in the final. I'm not sure he'd have got it even if he was fit as he had the last final. Garces despite errors this RWC has been the best referee for about a year and probably deserves the final.

Wayne Barnes is retiring after the RWC to concentrate on work and his family, he's developed into a top official.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X