• Show
Clear All

Scotland score first against Wales.

Comment

And Wales get the first try

Comment

I really hope Ray is one of the people wearing a daffodil hat

Comment

My daughter didn't get to sleep for her afternoon nap until just now so I've only caught the last five minutes. Looks like a lot of pressure from Wales at the end of the half but without points to put the game almost beyond Scotland.

Comment

Masterclass in defending there. I've nibbled my fingernails off.

Comment

Only caught the end of the game but what did Wales do wrong/Scotland do (nearly) right in the first 35 minutes of the second half?

Comment

Well mainly it was very difficult to get the ball off Scotland (as Alan Wyn Jones said)

Also Wales cocked up some line outs. Again.

Comment

I enjoyed that game tremendously. Great defending, very tense.

England - Italy stopped being interesting really early into the game, as might have been expected after England - France. They're good rabbit killers, this England team.

Comment

I'm just popping into the time machine to visit my teenage self:

"Listen kid, dump the tache. It doesn't work now and never will. Also, while I'm here, thought you'd like to know that a women's rugby game in Exeter - yes, I said women's rugby, don't snigger, it's a thing - will get a bigger crowd than the full capacity of the football ground you love. Which is never full anyway. Gotta run, eat greens, do drugs, see ya."

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      I really hope Ray is one of the people wearing a daffodil hat
                      We've not met, have we? I was in my Porthcawl RFC Oddballs bobble hat, far classier.

As as for the game, my brother summed it up at the final whistle when he commented the we haven't played more than a half of really coherent rugby per game so far this tournament. Still, a dogged, gutsy, incredible-tackle-count second half was impressive in it's own way - a Shaun Edwards win.

Don't even want to think about next week, I hope (probably in vain) that Liam's injury wasn't as bad as it looked. If Williams is fit, I'd be tempted to drop North and put Halfpenny on the wing for his better defence and ability in the air. I imagine we're going to have to make a few changes anyway because a week is a short turnaround after a gruelling game like today's.

Comment

We've not met. It's on my bucket list of things to do.

The pundits said something like 160 tackles by Wales in the second half apparently. Which thinking about it can't be right because that's 4 a minute.

Comment

Gatland said Williams was taken off due to a stinger, I first feared a dislocation judging by the way he held it. I cannot see too many changes against Ireland but possibly some rotation of the 23.

The line out remains a major concern for me.

Comment

Excuse my lack of understanding of the intricacies of the bonus point system but am I right in thinking that if England win next weekend and get a bonus point, and Wales win but don't get one, then England will probably win the championship on points difference even though Wales will have a perfect record (that's a grand slam right?) The one site I've seen suggests that it is points difference that counts and not head-to-head.

That's ridiculous no?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              Excuse my lack of understanding of the intricacies of the bonus point system but am I right in thinking that if England win next weekend and get a bonus point, and Wales win but don't get one, then England will probably win the championship on points difference even though Wales will have a perfect record (that's a grand slam right?) The one site I've seen suggests that it is points difference that counts and not head-to-head.

That's ridiculous no?
                              Bonus points for winning a grand slam so even if you win every game without a bonus point you'll still win the title with a grand slam.
                              Thankfully they worked that out before it actually occurred.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Bonus points for winning a grand slam so even if you win every game without a bonus point you'll still win the title with a grand slam.
                                  Thankfully they worked that out before it actually occurred.
                                  Yes, one of the smarter things a sport's governing body has worked out in recent years. And to have properly done the maths, too - 3 extra points makes absolutely certain, as it takes the GS winners to a minimum of 23, where the team with a 4-0-1 record could potentially be on 22.

Comment

Zut alors!

Comment

Do they not give penalty tries in rugby anymore?

Comment

Yeah, they do seem to be less prevalent, especially in these 6N. Which is a good thing in some ways, as they're crap.

What incident or incidents particularly prompted the question? We certainly flirted with one on Saturday but what possibly saved us is establishing exactly who collapsed a maul is very difficult, mostly guesswork. The crucial one after AWJ got a warning on it clearly came down through Scottish disorganisation and that was a bit of a turning point.

Comment

I was thinking of Ireland camping out on France's line when 26-0 up, and the French collapsing multiple scrums. Seconds after that, a French guy got sin binned, right on the line try line, for stepping into offside position and cynically kicking the ball away. Perhaps a penalty try would be a better punishment than a sin bin. It was the same a deliberate handball on the goal line in football.

Comment

Wales retain the same 23 as the Scotland game to face Ireland as Liam is indeed fit.

Is it Saturday afternoon yet?

Comment

I think you'll get your Grand Slam alright, based on the first 10 minutes.

Comment

The team of us getting well hammered, ffs Italy would've put up a bigger challenge than those shams, another quarter final world cup exit for the boys in green.

Comment

The Calcutta Cup game is becoming painful to watch and I'm English.

Comment

You were saying...?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X