Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I’m in Dunvant rugby club, pissed as a fart, with a dear friend, and all I want to say is

    Fucking YESSSS

    Comment


      Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

      He left the Blues for personal reasons, saying he wanted to be with his family. I didn't realise be wasn't allowed to go to the USA at all, that just seems cruel and counterproductive .
      Yep, hence your first sentence. Went home to see his family and decided he was done with playing rugby in Europe. That’s his extended family - his kids and wife were always with him.

      Deeeelighted at this result. The England just need to turn up punditry seemed more in evidence than usual, and this seems to always happen when people act like that.

      Comment


        Originally posted by HORN View Post
        I’m in Dunvant rugby club, pissed as a fart, with a dear friend, and all I want to say is

        Fucking YESSSS
        LIKE

        Comment


          Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
          Wales - England U-20 live link.
          That's a big win. Beating England in the age groups is always tough.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post

            LIKE
            There is a button for that now.

            Comment


              Watched it on mute because my daughter was asleep. Turned on after 25 minutes and was really worried that England would turn the screw and use their bench to grind out a win. It was strange to see England not use three of their bench at all and three very late changes as well. I think that added to the game as there was more consistency and it felt more old school. Wales also made their changes very late.
              In fact it was Wales that turned the screw and didn't allow England to get a foothold in the second half. Kicking to Liam Williams was a stupid tactic but Wales had Gareth Davies box kicking too long almost every time.
              Driving the England scrum back and winning the ball against the head towards the end of the first half was one key moment. Not conceding points just before half time when England had an attacking lineout was another.
              A magnificent win.

              Comment


                Well, that all went swimmingly...eventually. Pointless to try and analyse it right now, at least until I can watch a recording of the game (and maybe even then).

                Watching at the back of the lower tier surrounded by England fans doesn't help the stress levels in what is always a stomach-knotting, teeth-grinding, literally nauseatingly tense game anyway but the release at the end there was explosive.

                I'm off for a long lie down.

                Comment


                  Italy leading Ireland 16-12 at half time and playing some barnstorming rugby. They wil have to go some to hang on but have been great in attack so far.

                  Comment


                    Bugger, Ireland manage to somehow conjure a bonus point win out of an absolute shocker of a performance while Italy predictably ran out of steam after some rugby of real verve.

                    Comment


                      Cory Hill is out of the last two matches, a big loss for Wales as he's definitely the most improved player in the past few seasons.

                      Comment


                        Pro14: Georgia in talks to join competition - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47388295

                        Interesting if it happens. Add Romania and Spain and the league starts to become very different.

                        Comment


                          Talking of domestic rugby, astounding rumours continue to circulate that the WRU's current "Project Reset" review of the structure of regional rugby will see the Ospreys close or merge with another region in order that a North Walian franchise become the fourth region and Dragons continue.

                          The Ospreys are the most consistently successful of all the Welsh regions since the format was adopted, insane.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                            Talking of domestic rugby, astounding rumours continue to circulate that the WRU's current "Project Reset" review of the structure of regional rugby will see the Ospreys close or merge with another region in order that a North Walian franchise become the fourth region and Dragons continue.

                            The Ospreys are the most consistently successful of all the Welsh regions since the format was adopted, insane.
                            Yes, this story will not go away and neither will the new contracts one. Any end to centralised contracts and the introduction of a pay scale with being a current international as the biggest factor. Sam Davies of the Ospreys is apparently the biggest loser and is rumoured to be off to England.
                            7 of the 23 who played against England were Ospreys and none of them know their future. With Wales being seen as a genuine RWC contender, if you look at the rankings, then having these two issues playing along in the background is farcical. In fact it's so typical of the WRU we must be wondering who is trying to sabotage Wales and why.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                              Talking of domestic rugby, astounding rumours continue to circulate that the WRU's current "Project Reset" review of the structure of regional rugby will see the Ospreys close or merge with another region in order that a North Walian franchise become the fourth region and Dragons continue.

                              The Ospreys are the most consistently successful of all the Welsh regions since the format was adopted, insane.
                              Oh cool, so just give Swansea and the West Wales valleys over to football so the WRU can lose money it doesn’t have in yet another effort to make Gogs like rugby.

                              Why are these people so fucking stupid?

                              Comment


                                Rugby World Cup 2019: Pacific Islands discuss boycott over World League plan - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47418895

                                Here's another stupid plan. Ignoring the Pacific Islanders and what they could bring to the table but no it's all about the money.

                                Comment


                                  The angling towards the US market is very frustrating. The thing is US rugby has something like a future for the first time in a while. Major League Rugby is beginning its second season, and having real professional rugby has helped the national team, which knocked off Scotland and Samoa for the first time ever. By rankings, we’re pretty close to qualifying for a 12 team World League on merit as we’re 13th and something like a third of a point behind Georgia.

                                  But that’s not why we’re being invited. We’re seen as a giant pit of free money that the foundation unions can replenish their empty coffers from, because they have mismanaged professional rugby from virtually Day One, and that’s that. Fuck ‘em, I say. The Eagles getting smoked on a regular basis would probably hurt US rugby and I don’t think the public will care that much about a World League, if they care about rugby at all.

                                  Comment


                                    Losing comprehensively to Uruguay at home isn't going to help matters

                                    Comment


                                      A slow set of dripping leaks from the WRU about their plans culminated in the news that the Scarlets would effectively swallow up the Ospreys and get a budget of £9 million. The Blues would be the second team in Wales and the Dragons would become a development side as would the new team in the north.

                                      Sadly three of the four regions selfishly voted for this.

                                      Comment


                                        It's a really, really shit idea.

                                        Comment


                                          I think it was more of a genuine merger than one club swallowing the other. Though now the Ospreys have issued a statement saying they're not on the verge of merging but the Pro Rugby Board (composed of the other clubs' chairmen, the Ospreys one having resigned, and the WRU) have issued a counter statement saying both clubs signed a head of agreement to do so on Friday (St David's Day, nice touch).

                                          Self-harm is the true national sport of Wales. In the midst of this the side for Saturday's game against Scotland was announced early and the one change is Beard replacing the injured Hill with Ball stepping up to the bench.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-03-2019, 19:44.

                                          Comment


                                            The WRU is currently running the Dragons, see how badly that's going, so how are they going to do running another side.
                                            It is meant to be a merger but everything, bar the European games, would be based in Llanelli. The training, coaching, development and admin etc.
                                            It truly is a national sport in Wales to fuck things up when they are going well. Gatland must be doing his nut in.

                                            Comment


                                              The Guardian's coverage of the Project Reset story certainly backs up AE's talk of a Scarlets takeover. Though it takes a very Ospreylian inside line that I've not quite seen reported elsewhere, my guess is Mike James is feeding it directly to Paul Rees - which isn't to say it's not completely accurate!

                                              Comment


                                                And more developments today, the Scarlets announce the merger is off and say that the Ospreys approached them.

                                                Scarlets confirm merger with Ospreys ‘off the table’ after talks break down

                                                https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y_to_clipboard

                                                This is going to run and run. FFS.

                                                Comment


                                                  Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                                  The angling towards the US market is very frustrating. The thing is US rugby has something like a future for the first time in a while. Major League Rugby is beginning its second season, and having real professional rugby has helped the national team, which knocked off Scotland and Samoa for the first time ever. By rankings, we’re pretty close to qualifying for a 12 team World League on merit as we’re 13th and something like a third of a point behind Georgia.

                                                  But that’s not why we’re being invited. We’re seen as a giant pit of free money that the foundation unions can replenish their empty coffers from, because they have mismanaged professional rugby from virtually Day One, and that’s that. Fuck ‘em, I say. The Eagles getting smoked on a regular basis would probably hurt US rugby and I don’t think the public will care that much about a World League, if they care about rugby at all.
                                                  I read about this. Japan is going to be invited too, I suppose for the same reasons.

                                                  Wouldn't it make more sense to just invite all the big countries, a few other European ones, the Pacific Islands, and maybe the US, Japan, and Canada and make it a two-tiered thing?



                                                  It's natural to compare it to the growth of soccer, of course, because it faces the same catch-22: How do you grow interest in a professional league if you can't afford the best players? How do you get the best players - and develop domestic players for the national team - if you don't have a top professional league that they want to play in? How do you build a top professional league with the top professional players without big gates and a big TV contract to bring in the revenue to pay those players and build facilities?
                                                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 06-03-2019, 20:05.

                                                  Comment


                                                    Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                                    And more developments today, the Scarlets announce the merger is off and say that the Ospreys approached them.

                                                    Scarlets confirm merger with Ospreys ‘off the table’ after talks break down

                                                    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y_to_clipboard

                                                    This is going to run and run. FFS.
                                                    I don't know much about this story, but I like this quote. "There is not a Plan B because there was never a Plan A." I'm going to use that in some other context someday, I suspect.

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X