Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
    Is there a case for nominating Nigel Owens as the best current referee/umpire in any sport? I'm almost at the point with rugby that I'd decide to watch a game based purely on him being in charge.
    Well, no... He awarded two tries that were subsequently shown to be wrong, so he had a bad game, right?

Comment

Nah, as Ray said he knew straight away there was a block for the first one, but wisely let it carry on and then check the review to be certain.

Comment

Originally posted by ooh aah View Post
        Nah, as Ray said he knew straight away there was a block for the first one, but wisely let it carry on and then check the review to be certain.

Did he? I thought, from what he initially said to the TMO, that he thought it was good, but I may well have misheard or got the wrong end of the stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          I can't see Wales beating England if England play like that
          That's a big "if", though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Did he? I thought, from what he initially said to the TMO, that he thought it was good, but I may well have misheard or got the wrong end of the stick.
            I think I heard that too, but I don't think it matters. Letting the play go in the circumstances was surely preferable to whistling for the offence - if there hadn't been one, he'd have prevented a fair try.

I've no idea how he was supposed to have seen the offence that led to the second try in real time.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
              I've no idea how he was supposed to have seen the offence that led to the second try in real time.

He wouldn't have and that's a try all day long in the pre-TMO age. I'm not well enough versed on rugby rules to comment but one of the TV co-commentators thought that there hadn't been an offence committed as the player who had supposedly released the ball forward had kept his hand or hands on it or something. Anyway...

I thought Owens missed a couple of forward passes by the AB as well, but he's always great to listen to.

Comment

Brian Hightower, one of NBC’s commentators, went to college with me. I didn’t know him but I knew he was good at rugby and he played lacrosse a bit the one season I was on the club team too.

Comment

While the ball was still live he told a complaining NZ player that he thought there was no block, then asked the question of the TMO after the try was scored.

I think it was a good example of "safety net" refereeing, better let the play run then go to the TMO if there's any doubt.

Comment

He wouldn't have and that's a try all day long in the pre-TMO age. I'm not well enough versed on rugby rules to comment but one of the TV co-commentators thought that there hadn't been an offence committed as the player who had supposedly released the ball forward had kept his hand or hands on it or something.
                    Once the player at the back of the maul lost control forward and it touched another element of the play, i.e. his team mate, it's an offence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                      Once the player at the back of the maul lost control forward and it touched another element of the play, i.e. his team mate, it's an offence.

Cheers for the explanation.

Comment

Oh I guess I misheard then, as it happened he said sth, and I thought he was acknowledging that he would go back and look at it.

Comment

Nice little Glamorgan Wanderers banner in the stadium.

Comment

Mrs CJ contracting a sudden dramatic stomach bug has found us postponing Rajasthan for a couple of days in favour of a posh(ish!)!hotel in Delhi.

Having not not seen a minute of the entire WC to date, I find myself mouthing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau at a huge, crystal clear HD TV. (Sound off as she’s sleeping.)

Is it wrong to have mixed feelings about the whole situation?

Edit- I should clarify that she’s not very ill, just not confident to stray too far from the toilet.
                            Last edited by ChrisJ; 27-10-2019, 09:02.

Comment

Quick trivial question (I don't know the answer): how many of the Welsh squad are fluent Welsh speakers?

Comment

Scrappy, one-dimensional game so far.

Comment

This game is all of BB&F's criticisms come to life so far.

I heard some people speaking welsh on the bus yesterday. It was lovely, Welsh is so pleasing to the ear.

Comment

Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post
                                    ... one-dimensional game so far.
                                    Oh, I don't know. Seems like the up/down dimension is in play as much as the forward/backward dimension.

Comment

War of attrition this, but fascinating rugby nonetheless.

Comment

Wales pick up 2 injuries. Not great.

Comment

Dog of a game, flat performance from us, bloody injuries going to do us.

Can't work out why Patchell didn't replace North and go to full back with Halfpenny moving to the wing. We must want Leigh's continued presence at 15 as he's been excellent.

Comment

Too many errors by South Africa in attacking positions are keeping Wales in it. Two very cruel injuries for the Welsh. It looks like South Africa will have too much attritional power for Wales in the 2nd half (as v Japan) but Wales are much more in this than Japan were. I like Wales' long passes but they are a little slower than England (or Japan) in getting the ball across, allowing South Africa time to defend (which England wouldn't). Nothing would scare England in these sides except maybe the sheer power of South Africa in the scrum and possibly the kicking of de Klerk.

I think there's some sabotage on de Klerk's wiki page: "South African rugby player who is too small to even come out of the womb."*

*Edit: now deleted.
                                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-10-2019, 10:00.

Comment

Shot of Eddie Jones and John Mitchell in the crowd, trying not to do a jig.

C'mon Wales, and c'mon ref, ping those offside Boks.

Comment

Eddie Jones was only half-joking when he said he wanted this to go to extra time. He might get his wish.

Comment

Wales are more in the game at half time than they were in the quarter final against France. They might even win this without an opponent getting sent off.

England yesterday looked way better than both these performances, though.

Comment

The rugby TV people have learned from the football TV people the art of cutting away to blonde female fans.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X