No announcement yet.

Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just thinking that could be a good game, it's at Kamaishi too so should be a great event.

Comment

Hope so. Uruguay-Fiji certainly was.

Comment

Get in. Was just on the cusp of getting worried there. A try every fourteen minutes would do fine.

ITV were telling us yesterday that the last time Scotland won three straight competitive games - which we'll need to, with bonuses, to reach the quarters - a Hastings was playing. Nicely symbolic scorer of the first seven points then.

Comment

... or every four minutes...and the first fourteen points.

Comment

I haven't been this delighted with a Scotland start since we went 3-0 up on New Zealand in Malaga in 1982. And we ended that one failing to get the crucial bonus point.

Beautiful as this is, won't relax til we have the fourth.

Comment

45th minute, job done. Lovely. Scotland still majorly up against it for reaching the quarters (and that's before we get into potential typhoon/hurricane interference with the fixtures) but at least they won't have done anything daft against the sides we were expected to beat.

I know we're just here to talk about rugby but, believe me, after a lifetime of watching the National XI over-performing against football's biggest nations then slipping up versus the minnows, this in itself is beautiful, sweet relief.

There's a fifth try. For Scotland. Barely 51 minutes played. I love rugby.

Right, that's me finished talking to myself. Apologies. Thread back to normal for Wales v Fiji.

Comment

Russia seem to have been worn down by the tournament and their margins of defeat as the pool has progressed have been 20, 25, 35 and now 47 and counting.

Take nothing away from Scotland but they're playing a side that is shot.

Comment

Just seen the stats from that game and there wasn't a single penalty (I mean an attempt at kicking a goal from a penalty, since rugby uses the word penalty much more broadly than football does). Anyway, this sounds unusual. Is it? Seems to me that a significant proportion of points in RU usually come from penalties, and to actually have none of them, not even attempted, is surprising.

Comment

Not in the context of the game. Penalties were no use to Scotland, who needed to score 4 tries. After going three scores down, penalties were no use to Russia either, scoring a consolation try against a top tier side was a bigger prize to them. And having scored the 4th try, Scotland rightly treated the rest of the game as scoring practice, ready for Japan.

Comment

One minute on the clock and the Fijians are already throwing the ball around. Pity I'll get to see only the first half.

Comment

This is all my worst fears realised.

Comment

Adams is having a nightmare.

Comment

There has bean a few games so far with no successful penalty point kicks. Certainly the bigger nations (SA and NZ) haven't bothered with them against the lower tiers, probably knowing they will always have enough to score plenty of tries, but even games like Georgia - Uruguay (33-7) was just tries and conversions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                              Calm down!

Comment

Take nothing away from Scotland but they're playing a side that is shot.
                                And may well be now Vlad is taking an interest #CrookedPut-in

Comment

It's been a morning of disallowed tries - and mostly for forward passes.

Comment

Mine too.

Fiji should have had a red for that ruck clear out. Blatant head shot.

Persistent infringement in the 22 by Fiji but no penalty try.

It's tough but we've got back into this.

Comment

Adams is having a nightmare.
                                      Adams The Great Redeemer.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                        There has bean a few games so far with no successful penalty point kicks. Certainly the bigger nations (SA and NZ) haven't bothered with them against the lower tiers, probably knowing they will always have enough to score plenty of tries, but even games like Georgia - Uruguay (33-7) was just tries and conversions.
                                        The Scotland game had none, successful or unsuccessful.

But anyway, I can see from the comments (thanks btw) that it's not nearly as unusual as I imagined

Comment

Another Fijian in the bin and we lead. Botia is off now.

Perhaps we've weathered the storm but I'm not sure.

Comment

Beautiful kicking from Biggar and predictable recklessness from Fiji helps the momentum change well before half-time. Sod Japan - Wales should be everyone's second team.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                                              Beautiful kicking from Biggar and predictable recklessness from Fiji helps the momentum change well before half-time. Sod Japan - Wales should be everyone's second team.
                                              I actually think Japan play simpler and more attractive & admirable rugby than us. I don't think generally we're a team that would thrill neutrals.

Comment

Some magnificent beards amongst the Fijians.

Comment

How on earth did they lose to Uruguay?

Comment

This is not going well.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X