Tokyo Calling - Rugby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    New Zealand v Canada later on - what's the record score in a World Cup again?
    Not even half the record winning margin in the end.

Comment

Canada weren't terrible given they got smoked by Italy 48-7, a team they were better than until Italy entered the Six Nations.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Not even half the record winning margin in the end.
        New Zealand hung 100+ on Portugal a few World Cups ago I remember. Portugal at least scored, though.

Comment

Fiji hammer Georgia 10-45, cutting loose in the second half after only being 3-7 up at the break.

As a Welshman they will never not terrify me at World Cups.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post

New Zealand hung 100+ on Portugal a few World Cups ago I remember. Portugal at least scored, though.
            They record winning margin is Australia 142 Namibia 0 in 2003 with the record points total being NZ's in their 145-17 win over Japan in 1995. The All Blacks' 108-13 over Portugal in 2007 is the fifth largest winning margin.

That level of blowout does seem halted in the last three world cups over the last decade.

Comment

...although Ireland v Russia may get close.

Comment

Perhaps not, but should secure the bonus point by the break.

Comment

That level of blowout does seem halted in the last three world cups over the last decade.
                  Yup. A lot of real rugby people seem to think the oval ball World Cup is much more of a closed shop than the round ball one but I reckon, if we take 1987 as rugby's 1930, they're devolving the power at about the same rate.

For example, if Wales, Ireland, France or Namibia can win this one, there will have been as many different winners of the first nine rugby World Cups as the first ten FIFA World Cups.

Comment

There's a lock called Elgin among the Russian subs - surely he could come on and do Scotland a favour.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post

Yup. A lot of real rugby people seem to think the oval ball World Cup is much more of a closed shop than the round ball one but I reckon, if we take 1987 as rugby's 1930, they're devolving the power at about the same rate.

For example, if Wales, Ireland, France or Namibia can win this one, there will have been as many different winners of the first nine rugby World Cups as the first ten FIFA World Cups.
                      Fewer finalists though (although Wales, Ireland or Namibia making the final this year would increase the number of different finalists from five to six). Ireland and Japan would be new (ninth) semi-finalists, Ireland the surprising omission from that roll of honour so far.

Comment

Very sluggish by Ireland, but fourth try finally dotted down.

Comment

Just gonnae let Russia score though - a sneaky wee penalty, that's all. Scotland and the All Blacks are the only sides to "nil" anyone so far. Let us take that home with us at least.

Comment

Ireland away shirt looks nice. From the photos I have seen (scum World Rugby and their pay TV).

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Fewer finalists though (although Wales, Ireland or Namibia making the final this year would increase the number of different finalists from five to six). Ireland and Japan would be new (ninth) semi-finalists, Ireland the surprising omission from that roll of honour so far.
                              Yeah. Killer point, Rogin. Fewer finalists. I'm showing my desperation to translate into football a World Cup where Scotland always make the quarter-finals (We've only failed to once and only reached the semis once - a virtually identical record to Ireland)

Apologies if this has already been done to death on OTF - I'm as much a tourist on this thread as I am to rugby - but this had been my "thinking":

IRB New Zealand = FIFA Brazil

IRB Australia = FIFA Uruguay

IRB South Africa = FIFA Italy (by dint of winning one at home and the other in France*)

IRB England = FIFA Germany

IRB new champion in 2019 would = FIFA England

Plus, while it doesn't fit with the time period, surely the two of them securing, and really enjoying, third place at the Parc des Princes means IRB Argentina = FIFA Croatia ...?

Anyway, like you say, it falls down on the beaten finalists. All the Rugby World Cup winners have also lost at least one final, except South Africa who would, again, equate with FIFA Uruguay. Fifa England have still never lost a final though. And you have IRB France having to impersonate not just FIFA Czechoslovakia but FIFA Hungary and Sweden too.

*although, in a thoroughly insensitive stretch of the analogy, South Africa did miss a couple of the first four World Cups for, erm, "reasons not linked to on-field performance", like Uruguay in 1934 and 38.
                              Last edited by Alex Anderson; 03-10-2019, 12:26. Reason: forgot the Sringboks hadn't lost a final - but I have seen FIFA Scotland beating Bafana Bafana. Is that like being world champions ... of anything??!!

Comment

IRB Ireland would be FIFA Mexico - as pointed out by someone earlier, they've got a record now in quarter finals of something like P7, W0 L7.

Comment

Not quite PL7 L7 yet, but not too long now.

Comment

It's the sudden, explosive arrival of the IRB version of the Dutch I'm looking forward to...

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                      Ireland away shirt looks nice. From the photos I have seen (scum World Rugby and their pay TV).
                                      You wouldn't have seen the change shirt yet as they've not needed to wear it so far. Saved for if they meet South Africa, I suppose.

Then again Wales didn't wear their lush green change shirt against Georgia even though it was a red v maroon clash.
                                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 03-10-2019, 13:17.

Comment

I'll still be surprised if Scotland can maintain their record of only once failing to make the quarters but, so far, Scotland's best is fourth, Wales' is third and England's is, of course, first. Being a sucker for a nice pattern, it would be cool if the remaining Triple Crown/Home Nations member could finish runners-up.

Although, I have to say, if there was one nation other than my own I would particularly like to see winning it, it would be Wales.

Comment

You wouldn't have seen the change shirt yet as they've not needed to wear it so far. Saved for if they meet South Africa, I suppose.

The again Wales didn't wear their lush green change shirt against Georgia even though it was a red v maroon clash.
                                          I saw a photo of Sexton with it on next to some text updates about the Russia game with the away shirt. Must have been taken during training and/or the warm-up or something.

Comment

They missed the quarters in 1999 and 2007

Comment

Question. When conversions and penalties are being lined up, what dictates when the defending team can start charging down the kick? I don't hear a whistle or see anything obvious on the highlights.

Comment

Conversions

1. All opposing players retire to their goal line and do not overstep that line until the kicker begins the approach to kick. When the kicker does this, they may charge or jump to prevent a goal but must not be physically supported by other players in these actions.
                                                2. The team must not shout during a conversion attempt.
                                                Penalties

1. If the kicker indicates to the referee the intent to kick at goal, the opposing team must stand still with their hands by their sides from the time the kicker starts to approach to kick until the ball is kicked.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                                  Perhaps not, but should secure the bonus point by the break.
                                                  When does the bonus start?

Comment

When a team scores its fourth try and/or loses by seven points or less.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X