Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I managed to get up in time! France look a big team.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Anderson
    replied
    Out of bed at 8:10, switch on ITV, listen to two best national anthems in the world, back to bed.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Come the fuck on, Wales!

Chieka's quit, I see.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Jonathan Davies is out, aggravated his knee injury, and Owen Watkin in. I presume Halfpenny is onto the bench. A big loss as the Fox has looked good and is also the defensive coordinator.

Now I'm really nervous.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Football tried the law of moving a free kick ten yards forward after dissent, it didn't really work and was phased out again.

It seems to happen a lot less in rugby than it used to, mind. Maybe the micing up of refs cut down on dissent.
    There's still a fair bit of dissent, but I think two things have happened:

1) The "Only captains get to talk to me" refs have been phased out

2) Refs seem to accept a certain amount of chirping as long as it's not sweary and you shut up when they tell you to.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Football tried the law of moving a free kick ten yards forward after dissent, it didn't really work and was phased out again.

It seems to happen a lot less in rugby than it used to, mind. Maybe the micing up of refs cut down on dissent.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Football doesn't have the equivalent of a scrum or ruck, though. I suppose the parallel would be corners and free kicks, where refs will give warnings on pushing before giving pens and free kicks. Similarly, not retreating ten yards*, time wasting.

*I think rugby simply moves it forward another 10 yards in that scenario (or it did when I played at school, and in rugby league).

Leave a comment:

• Bored Of Education
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    AI do get annoyed when referees yell at players not to use their hands in the ruck. Not just because they are professionals and shouldn't need telling but because the ref should bloody well let them transgress and then penalise them.
    Rugby refs have always 'coached' players by pointing out potential transgressions, no? It's one of the cultural differences between football and rugby.

Apologies, didn't see Ray's post to this effect.
    Last edited by Bored Of Education; 19-10-2019, 21:50. Reason: Saw Ray's post to this effect. 

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I had an argument last night with people insisting South Africa will beat Japan. But I can't shake off my gut feeling that they are going to be losing semi finalists

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    If Japan beat South Africa then I think only the All Blacks are above them. If they lose, it depends on the margin of defeat as to how we judge them, but they are definitely Top 7 because they beat Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Australia and Ireland were pretty terrible. On that showing Japan could belong in the world's top six even if they lose.

Loving the Kiwi mullet boy, anyway. Hansen backed him against more established players, looks like a smart choice.

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    Ha ha, very true SD.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Anderson
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Alex, NZ seemed to avoid the best England sides (1991, 2003), unless you take the view that England were stronger in 1995 when Lomu blew them away.
    Don't try to make out England only reached their first two finals because they avoided the All Blacks. Cheap shot.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    32 points is the third highest WC KO stage margin ever, and bigger than any other nation has achieved (South Africa v Samoa, 42-14 in 1995, four points fewer than NZ's 46-14 today).

Alex, NZ seemed to avoid the best England sides (1991, 2003), unless you take the view that England were stronger in 1995 when Lomu blew them away.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 19-10-2019, 12:28.

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    No chance, a year or so ago, perhaps, on a good day.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Conceded zero? Never. And the only comparable margins of victory are New Zealand against Scotland and Wales in 1987, South Africa against Samoa in 1995 and New Zealand against France last time, a game that finished 62-13.
    Thanks Rogin. I think I got carried away there with margins.

This destruction of Ireland is one of the most impressive performances of recent years as some had talked up Ireland as potential winners.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    How many times has a team won a KO game by more than 25 points and conceded zero?
    Conceded zero? Never. And the only comparable margins of victory are New Zealand against Scotland and Wales in 1987, South Africa against Samoa in 1995 and New Zealand against France last time, a game that finished 62-13.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Anderson
    replied
    Peaking too early, New Zealand. They'll regret this. Tournament naivety. They need to keep something in the tank ...

Aherm. Bloody hell.

Won the first Rugby World Cup, first nation to retain it - first to win it three times overall; Only failed to reach the semis once, only ever lost to France, Australia and South Africa*.

The only thing more stunning than the stats is watching them in action.
    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 19-10-2019, 12:21. Reason: *Though I suspect "only" losing to three other other countries is a stat shared by as many as, erm, three other countries? EDIT EDIT: Nope. Just checked. It's only NZ.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    And what's the biggest knockout win? 34-0 with a quarter of the match left.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Sexton has been pretty poor.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    How many times has a team won a KO game by more than 25 points and conceded zero?

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    I'm hoping my daughter allows me to watch some rugby tomorrow. Today sounds like both games went as expected despite the talk of upsets.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Yeah, NZ look as good as they could be, more or less, so hopefully they can beat England.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    Looking hopeful for the semi.
    From an AEB perspective?

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Looking hopeful for the semi.

Leave a comment:

Working...