Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    So glad I can enjoy this game and not watch it from a black pit of despair.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

I think that's true however much you know about the game (and nobody knows it all), rugby's just a more intense and constantly threat-filled game than football is.
    This might be way too much information but watching that game has sorted out my recent minor constipatory issues.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Tony C View Post

Well, maybe, but Warburton deserved to go just the same as the French lock did in this game so I wouldn't say a wrong was righted today. In both cases the better team lost due substantially to stupid foul play by a key player.
    Yes, that was exactly what I meant. I've said since the incident that Warburton's red was correct and clearly the one today was.

It's simply the fact that today was a mirror image of that 2011 semi, the better team beaten by the narrowest of margins due to a disciplinary lapse.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied

As Gatland said post-match, the better team lost.

A one point win due to a red card is karma for 2011 though.
    Well, maybe, but Warburton deserved to go just the same as the French lock did in this game so I wouldn't say a wrong was righted today. In both cases the better team lost due substantially to stupid foul play by a key player.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I think it's because I don't know it as well. There always seems to be some variable I've never seen before that just throws everything up in the air.
    I think that's true however much you know about the game (and nobody knows it all), rugby's just a more intense and constantly threat-filled game than football is.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
    Looked forward to me. Surely they have the technology to draw the game line on to the replay video, like the offsides line in football.
    The definition of a forward pass is so complicated nowadays that I don't know any more. It looked forward on the spidercam angle but it's about if it's forward out of the hand or in the air...or something.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    France pretty unlucky here. They played all the entertaining rugby and were ultimately undone by a stupid and unecessary sending off which really damaged their confidence. Still, a win is a win.
    As Gatland said post-match, the better team lost.

A one point win due to a red card is karma for 2011 though.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Ironic that Wales's winning try was scored by the guy who could easily have got a red card in the first half. And if the ref had called that a forward pass, as it appeared to be, the TMO wouldn't have overturned it. On such small margins, etc.

Still, I'm pleased for the tournament, France (bless them) don't really deserve to be in a world cup semi final, let alone a final, with this side, and Wales v South Africa* will be a semi-final between the Northern and Southern hemisphere champions from the spring, which seems more apt. Plus it should be a fantastic game.

*Well, come on, Japan can't do it again. Can they?

Leave a comment:

• Alex Anderson
    replied
    Yeah the rugby definitely more tense in general. And all this "luck" patter above seems particularly obtuse when France committed suicide. Ability to control yourself in pressure situations is a key part of any sport - and no-one seemed in a rush to credit the French with "luck" for capitalising on Welsh errors.

Bloody great performance. Mentally if nothing else. Good on them.

And the ball initially went backwards when popping up for the winning try.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Yeah watching the elbow again doesn't make it look any better. Alfie really laying into the guy in the post match.
    Quite right too. He cost France the match.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Yeah watching the elbow again doesn't make it look any better. Alfie really laying into the guy in the post match.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    You think?!
    I think it's because I don't know it as well. There always seems to be some variable I've never seen before that just throws everything up in the air.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I might enjoy the next game more. But I'd like Japan to win so if it's close I'm going to be all antsy again.

Leave a comment:

• anton pulisov
    replied
    Looked forward to me. Surely they have the technology to draw the game line on to the replay video, like the offsides line in football.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Anderson
    replied
    Get in! Magic, Wales. Fantastic entertainment - you can keep the perfect performance for the semi. Then your first ever World Cup final can take care of itself.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    France pretty unlucky here. They played all the entertaining rugby and were ultimately undone by a stupid and unecessary sending off which really damaged their confidence. Still, a win is a win.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Cogito
    replied
    Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

It was dead straight as far as I could see.
    In the words of the ref, "it wasn't clear that the ball went forward". So on field decision stuck. Looked forward to me but probably not provable without the right angle. It seems re the VAR debate that both rugby and cricket have crucial decisions support the refs in situations of doubt, which football VAR is unlikely to.

Anyway, looked forward to me.

Leave a comment:

• Bored Of Education
    replied
    Liam Williams' blowing out of cheeks says everything.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    You think?!

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Fucking hell.

I find watching rugby even more nerve shredding than football.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    How the fuck did we win that game?

Leave a comment:

• Bored Of Education
    replied
    What a horrible game.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Leave a comment:

• Bored Of Education
    replied
    Surely the ball went forward when it was stripped? Wales very lucky there.
    It was dead straight as far as I could see.

Leave a comment:

• Bored Of Education
    replied
    All they need is a drop goal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X