Clear All

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I see.

Korea doesn’t have a team?
    Not in that tournament HP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_...up?wprov=sfla1
    Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 20-10-2019, 18:37.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Japan, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Canada and the US
    I see.

Korea doesn’t have a team?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    No mention of the Welsh team's Japanese mascot singing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau?

TBF it could have been a Redwoodesque mime.
    I spotted that prior to the Fiji game but not today, possibly too early in the morning.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Japan, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Canada and the US

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    No mention of the Welsh team's Japanese mascot singing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau?

TBF it could have been a Redwoodesque mime.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Who else is in the Pacific Nations? I assume not the South Pacific countries.

Leave a comment:

• Bordeaux Education
    replied
    I feel relaxed now that we have made it to the semis and are the underdogs (massively so after today's performance and the injuries). We could hope for SA to be lulled into a false sense of security but their match today - if any - would've been the time for that. Coaching staff scrutinise possible tournament opponents well in advance of the actual tournament nowadays.

It's interesting to see where Japan go from here. I have heard of them being invited to other tournaments but they have only won the Pacific Nations twice (and a half) since they joined. They aren't quite a big fish in a small pond by any margin yet and wouldn't gain anything from being even more perennial whipping boys than Argentina and Italy.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I hate to be one of those “I’ve watched a few minutes of your sport and now have extensive notes on how to fix it” people, but it seems like red cards that compel a team to play with fewer people are a bad idea. I feel the same way in football. It makes it possible for the whole game to be determined by one officiating decision and/or one moment of high emotion. And it often makes the rest of the game less interesting.

Perhaps instead of forcing a team to play with 14, they could just compel the team to sub that guy out - and if they’re out of subs then maybe make them play with 14 - and then give the other team an easy penalty kick like 10 meters out straight in front and the ball back after that. Like a tech foul in basketball. That would be better than changing the rest of the game.

Having said that, that was a brutal elbow to the face. If anything deserves a straight red, that would be it.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Yeah, feel sad for Japan. Definitely exciting to watch though.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    I've thought for weeks (and probably said on here) that Japan would beat us in a knockout game.

Clearly the likely winners in order of probability are NZ, England, South Africa then us, though the order of the middle two could be interchangeable if you factor in the relative difficulty of their respective semi-finals.

We've reached the minimum objective for the tournament in making the semis but our lack of depth in key areas may be our undoing. I can't see us beating SA without Jonathan Davies (we're underdogs even with him) and Navidi is a massive loss, presuming it is a hamstring injury and he's out of the rest of World Cup.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I might venture that Japan have been the 4th best side here and might indeed be in a semi had they been in the Wales/France quarter.

I can't see beyond a southern hemisphere final, although an England v South Africa SF would have been a tough one to call (perhaps England marginally?).

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Ah well, the best team overall won but the tournament loses so much without Japan in it.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    9am kick offs next weekend for both semis. Let's see what happens but I'll be boring and predict a southern hemisphere final.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Japan's line out has been shocking today, a real weakness.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Predictable, though. Japan couldn't sustain that level for two halves. South Africa are not Scotland.

Leave a comment:

• Muukalainen
    replied
    Ah, thanks Ray, it was a maul. I'm giving up on this pisspoor radio commentary.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Fuck! A victory for dull grunt rugby, that try. More of a conga line than a fucking maul.

Leave a comment:

• Muukalainen
    replied
    Someone needs to tell the radio commentator that his listeners cannot see what's going on, he needs to describe it to us. There's a scrum -- great, but whereabouts on the pitch are we?

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    Perhaps it's just me, and maybe it ain't even so, but at half time rugby players run off the pitch whereas in football they trudge back to the dressing rooms.
    They used to get only 5 minutes and stayed out on the pitch. Game's gone.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Given the chances they've missed and dodgy decisions against them, South Africa could be 20 ahead.

Maybe this really is going to be another miracle.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Perhaps it's just me, and maybe it ain't even so, but at half time rugby players run off the pitch whereas in football they trudge back to the dressing rooms.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Surprising number of Springbok errors.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post
    This is frustrating as hell, the first quarter-final from each day was shown live on TV over here but not the second. The live radio feed will have to do.

Presumably The Beast?
    Yes, yellow probably the right call but a matter of a few degrees from a red.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    South Africa's kicking isn't working. It just gives back possession.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    de Klerk is giving a masterclass here, he's been crucial so far for SA.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X